Greenhorn

Palomar Mountain Options

I would like to ride up to the top of Palomar Mountain, not for the busy winding road portion, I’d be fine skipping that, but to check out the campground, see the pond, that kind of thing. It’s been a long time since I’ve been up there.

Anyone have any suggests on nice casual route, maybe some dirt roads or mild trail sections instead of pavement? I don’t mind going out of the way a little bit. Prefer to not do 15 North in general.

Starting from East County...

Doing 67 to 78 to 79 to 76 to East Grade Road

Is East Grade Road a possibility?

Doing the from behind via 67 to 78 to 79

Are High Point Road – High Point Truck Trail or Oak Grove Road options?

The other option I see would be 67 - 79 -76

Nate Harrison Road?

Once I sort out a plan I’d be open for anyone that would want to join. I ride a KLR and my goal would be a somewhat relaxed exploring type ride if one of the routes above can facilitate that.

Thank You

Not many people use Nate Harrison and it will dump you out right in state park.  I've ridden a street bike on Nate Harrison Grade without any problem.

No dirt options to Palomar except Nate Harrison from the west, none from the east. Doans pond silted in after the fire and is gone as far as I know which recently was 3 years ago.

I've been wanting to do High Point and Palomar divide. Post up, if I'm not busy I'll join. 

I've hear stories of other dirt options besides Nate Harrison, but every time I've taken a peek at them the gates have been closed.

Nate's is usually in pretty good shape except for a few pot holes.  Like Mimi, I've taken a street bike on it before - my '96 GSXR 750.  

Was down it a few weeks ago on the 1990 R and it was in good repair.

Well given the article in the SD Union paper yesterday, might wait a few weeks before exploring around Palomar. Motorcycle riding on Palomar story, not really a slam nor warm fuzzy. Will probably bring out lookey loo's and maybe more riders? On the other hand how many people still read the news paper? 

Found link on line

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/05/palomar-mountain-motorcycles-accidents-south-grade/

Not new news.  It's been a recurring story for a long time.  I've attached a newspaper clipping from around 2001 or 2002.  I'm in the middle of the frame eating a cookie. 

I used to ride up there a lot, every Sunday for a number of years, but switched to mostly dirt riding after I had kids, and following a couple of close calls where other riders blew the double yellow and came at me head on.  

Was a lot of fun though.  Mike Baker, Pat Garrison, and I started the Palomar Mountain Mafia kind of as a joke after one old lady drove up to Mothers and asked if we were all part of a gang.  So we thought it would be kind of fun to start something.  We designed a fender sticker that you can still find up there today.  Mike passed away at Willow Springs in August of 2000, Pat moved away a few years later, and I don't ride up there anymore, but Ivan, one of the guys who used to ride with us, is keeping the tradition alive and is still handing out the fender stickers.

For fun I included a shot of me back in the day taken by Dan Bussey

SanDiegoUnionTribunePhoto-800x600.jpg

pmr18a.jpg

I've been riding up to the top of Palomar Mountain for so long that I remember when there was a gasoline pump up there.

26 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

I've been riding Palomar so long I remember Mimi on a Sportster.

I've been riding so long that I remember me learning the mountain on a bike just like this.

h1f0401.jpg