amockalypse

Where to get cylinders bored cheap and good.

As a reminder about cheap, good and fast...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Dan Diego said:

As a reminder about cheap, good and fast...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Haha- thanks for the help Dan Diego. Maybe I should just choose the most expensive shop I can find then?

...So, anyway, I pay $40 bucks for a quality bore job, which includes blasting the cylinder, at a machine shop in LA- this is basically what I am looking for locally, from someplace that is known to do good work. 

I'll have to dig around for the card, but I paid about $30-$40 last time I got a cylinder bored.  Small shop off University near 54th st......

On 9/6/2016 at 0:55 PM, amockalypse said:

racers machine quoted $65 for a simple bore job... no thanks!

Remember its 2016 -- With labor rates now days I think that is reasonable for quality work.

18 minutes ago, kkug said:

Remember its 2016 -- With labor rates now days I think that is reasonable for quality work.

That's right.  When I had a shop and a boring bar, I always charged an hour's worth of labor for a standard bore (10 to 20 thousandths over), plus the hone and the chamfering of the ports.  In modern motorcycle shop rates that would come out to around 90 dollars today.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:18 AM, 350thumper said:

Floyds machine shop El Cajon .

Old thread, but in case anyone searches for cylinder boring in the future...

I can recommend Floyd's. I got a XL250 cylinder bored 1mm over there. He did it right then and there and charged me $40. Fast, cheap and good.

Yeah, Floyd's was the place I was thinking of as well.  The guy is good, fast and cheap.....the unicorn !

Image result for good quick and cheap

Old thread, but I have a few cylinder heads that need some work and Floyd's has been hit or miss on if/when they are open....mostly miss.  Anyone here used Motor Works Inc. in National City?  They said they can surface cylinder heads for motorcycles, I know some automotive places can't or won't.  

Any other southerly recommendations?  I'll go to Escondido if I have to, but prefer to keep it in a 15 mile radius.

I used to go to Racer's Toy Store YEARS ago when Jarrett would blow up his YZ80/RM100 on every Glamis trip.......they closed a long time ago but Racer's Machine is located in the same area........may be the same guys under a new name: http://www.racersmachine.com/contact.html

Hi ,I use moonlight machine in Clairemont for our Porsche machine work I’ve used Dennis for years and he is-very  reasonable . He operates out of his house so no high overhead . You would however have to ask him if he can do your cylinder . He did my R100rs heads and cylinders about 8 thousand miles ago and no issues . Moonlight machine 858-274-5119 

1 minute ago, Heffenut said:

Hi ,I use moonlight machine in Clairemont for our Porsche machine work I’ve used Dennis for years and he is-very  reasonable . He operates out of his house so no high overhead . You would however have to ask him if he can do your cylinder . He did my R100rs heads and cylinders about 8 thousand miles ago and no issues . Moonlight machine 858-274-5119 

Thanks, I'll keep them in mind.  I went to Motor Works Inc. in National City, dropped the parts off yesterday so we'll see how they do.  I hope Floyd's is still around, I liked his service but I stopped by twice (closed) and called several times with no answers.