EddieEarl

One Unit for GPS, Music, and Comms

I've been working on single unit solution for a long time:  comms, GPS, music.  I think I may have found something that works for me.  

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 in a rugged Otterbox Ram-mounted to my handlebars and it works flawlessly for Maps, GPS, Comms, and Music.

I've been using an app called ViewRanger (VR) for a couple years and I absolutely love it.  Highly recommend.  Too many features to list, but the one big ones are pre-trip planning via the computer, and you can cache Satellite maps for offline use.  Too many maps to list; my favorite are Google Hybrid street map / satellite, Google terrain, USA Topo with trails, and USGS plus trails.  Great post-ride reports, with elevation, mileage, total time, and a slider which moves you along the ride.  You can also insert photos/comments along the ride.  Super easy to share and collaborate through VR's site, GPX download, or social media (it's very cool to upload the GPX file to Google Earth and then do the "Flyover" view ... it's like you're in a helicopter riding along the entire route).  

Oh yeah, one other VERY cool feature is called "Buddy Beacon" where you can track the location, progress, route of your buddies.  

Total cost? $20.  No joke.  $20 gets you their premium package.  That is a one time cost.  No brainer.

Here's a cool little YouTube vid about it:  

For comms & music?  The WIRELESS Sena SM-H10.  It connects to your phone via blue tooth and the sound quality is fantastic.  It pipes in your phone's playlist perfectly.  I've taken phone calls while riding and it works great, too.  It's easy to adjust volume with a big round dial type - toggle.  And if you want to talk to your riding buddies just press the toggle ... and you don't need to PTT every time you want to say something. Just press once to open the comm channel and chat away ... then press once to close the channel when you're done.  If you're listening to music and somebody opens the comms your music pauses automatically and when the comm channel is closed your music resumes.  There's even a way to 'share' your music with other Sena listeners ... you can all be jamming to the same tunes on the trail.  Cost?  $150.  Worth every penny.  

Anyway, just thought I'd share what's working.  I'm down to one unit.  No wires.  And have GPS, maps, comms & music ... all from my handlebars.  STOKED.

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Comm channel is Bluetooth?

Great question.  I know the Sena syncs to my own phone via BlueTooth, but I'm not 100% sure how the comm link is established between Sena units.  I know Sena advertises a range of 900m (980 yards) so I don't think that's BlueTooth?  Not sure.  Maybe there's a little transceiver / receiver in the unit.  When you originally "pair" the two Sena units together they say it's best to be really close - within 5 yards.

It is bluetooth and like most distance claims it is extremely optimistic. Real world conditions the distance will be a quarter of the spec. If you want serious two-way capability you need to add the SR-10 two-ray radio interface with a VHF radio (Yaesu, Baufeng, etc) attached.

Yes, it's a benefit to the riding community that I have greater broadcast capability so they may enjoy my excellent singing talent. 

I just checked but did not find a Australian Map in there Shop, so a request went out to the support team.