Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Champ

Help for Randys old 640

Ideas, thoughts, experienced advice needed:

I took on a project with no real clear direction and no real final vision in mind. My rough plan is to fix the broken parts, cover most of the scratches, put on streetish tires and use it for mostly streetish rides, sometimes two up. There is real issues like the gas tank is leaking at the bottom corner from grinding/crashing, the subframe is cracked, the tires have to go, broken bolts have broken easy outs firmly entrenched, the carb needs dialed in, ...but hey it runs and drives and I can't hurt it much.

So suggestions needed for gas tank repair , tire selection, subframe cracking, etc. Its a 2000 LC4 640.

Thank you in advance,

I think,

I already have a motorcycle as yard art.  I threw an offer out for it but wasn't really interested in the bike.  I figured I'd get it decent and lose some money getting someone into dual sporting.  It almost sounds like you want to ride it or something?  

A complete set of new plastics isn't too expensive.  See if some local place can plastic weld that tank.  I never cared for those center stands, probably get an aftermarket side stand.  For a few hundred bucks you'll have a pretty good machine.  Might want to brush up on Beach Boys lyrics....Good Vibrations.

I could see the 640 as your bike camping rig.  Bolt the Mosko's to that and forget about it. 

Beach Boys......good one :)

Paint Shaker.  

Just saying.....

They are fun to ride.

Considering that half the the thing needs repairs or more. How about turning it into a street tracker/cafe racer? Part out whatever serviceable pieces you don't need to help fund the build.

Might need a different seat for 2 up rides.

Yes, some parts are compatible.

The tank/seat on that  SXC is the Enduro big Tank/Seat, which I know you needed. Rear fender, side panels cross, but the mask and front fender are slightly different. Center side and side stand should be good to go. Motor of course, exhaust I am not sure about. Different carb. They  are VERY close. E has oil in frame. Different instruments and speedo setup. E has Cush rear hub, SXC nope.  I am sure there is more. Roger and Chris may know more about them too. They had 620 Rallyes.

You may have to get with AA KTM for more specifics. They helped me out before.I always crossed referenced part numbers And researched the specific LC4 ADVRider Thread. 620 625 640.

There was a member here, Papa Smurf (Mike?), that knew the ins and outs of both. And that may be his parts deal out of Carlsbad or Oceanside.

I may have interest in a seat Pan for the big tank/seat  if you decide to get the whole bike and all that was pictured?? So I can send to Seat Concepts for a taller seat. etc Did you buy Paul's wheels? 

You can always take a look at my SXC before hand.....

DSC00895-L.jpg

DSC01138-L.jpg

Number in the members section.

That SXC has been advertised there and on craigslist for a long time.  You can probably get it cheaper than cheap.

Found a 640 silver front fender in usable condition. Want it?

Still looking for the matching mask.

S

Drove to Oceanside and bought the tank. The rest of the bike was at a storage somewhere and the guy wasn't to excited to go get more parts or go there on Friday afternoon.  . Real good guy though, Wesley.

So now I have tires, tank, old bike . get to it boy. Excited.

Any Progress?

Let me know when you drop down the hill sometime. I can meet ya @ 8/Greenfield Mobil for the plastics I have for you.

S

137-3738_IMG.jpg

137-3737_IMG.jpg

Yeah ,I got it going, had to spend quite a bit, was in much rougher shape than was apparent. Now it has some oil blowby coming from the bottom of the airbox, I ran a hose from the airbox to a little plastic bottle to catch oil and keep it off the rear tire. I call it Elmer now, (it's an Elmer's glue bottle). I work in Santee almost any day will work for me.