Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

Camping Suspension Adjustments

P10007591000w-L.jpg

Made a Shakedown Run Friday in order to check the luggage for stability and the 5 gal for leaks.  Just a general How Does

It Feel for the road kind of deal.  Tank is good, luggage stays put.  When you add 25-30 lbs to the equation, the bike handles

different.   The front has a bit of a "flighty" feel, something of a "push" as opposed to tracking normally.  Which is why I headed 

up to Lark at 85-90F to test on the Double and Single Track.  I immediately concentrated on pushing my weight forward, which

helped a good deal.  Over the whoops, the bike still flys level and tracks straight. 

So,  I'm thinking of making an adjustment to the suspension to improve front wheel tracking. Obviously, the rear sag number has

increased and that is my first thought to increase shock spring pre-load to get the sag number back the normal. Alternatively, I thought

the forks could be raised in the triple one ring to adjust the track.  Currently the forks are set with just one ring above the triple.

What do you think??  Go for the shock pre-load first?

P10007601000w-L.jpg

Shock preload definitely 1st will loose some higher speed stability if you raise forks. I normally just go 2-3 turns on the spring should get around 10mm sag back. Just for reference after my camping trip i reviewed my spreadsheet and put my shock back to 8mm preload then road it to Idyllwild and bike was all over the place and front end was too light tracking and diving bad. Ended up reading spreadsheet wrong i had 130mm sag needed 11mm spring preload to get me back to 110mm sag. Long story but thats probably what your feeling way too much sag causing front end to feel bad adjusting your sag should make up for it. Also if your going to be adjusting sag often for different riding areas this is a must http://www.motool.co/product-p/slacker.htm got one a month ago and make sag adjustments so easy especially if dont have any help.

BP,

Excellent!!   Thank you for the input and confirmation.

Bags

Agree with Brian's input. With that said, it's about the weight too. Not just the sag. A better distribution of weight (i.e. move weight forwardand / or lower) will help tremendously. Even considering adding a fender bag and putting some of your smaller heavier items up front. Or a tank bag (I know, lame on your bike, but priorities). Or like you already figured out, move your ass forward...and stay there...LOL :D

Just the Facts!    With the added weight of the Giant Loop my Rider sag measured 125mm.  Using the Enduro Engineering Spanner Tool 22-300 ( $25) I wound the compression ring two full turns to compress the shock spring from 245mm in length to 240mm. The Rider Sag returned to 110mm.  Although just a spin on the pavement, I can feel the confidence return to the front wheel.

Thank You very much to BP619 and George for confirming my concept.

Bags