How far is it approx Santa Thomas to San Quetin all dirt - sand route. 

done it, but don't know it for mileage, I just know it was very memorable a 3 flat day ride for me and my bud had a 2 flat day the next day on the way back......oh yea we were safety chase with the sat phone.....we ended up being hours useless behind the main body of the ride crew, if we were really needed. A classic Baja story.

PS lesson never use MX tires.....use heavy dez race tires and UHD tubes ( only use mousses now)

Think a solid half/3/4 day ride but there are more experts on the route & mileage here to answer

basically from parking at Santo Tomas

south west

dirt road to/ through rancho El Refugio

to coast then south mostly all the way

to punta cabras

to Erendira

to punta colonet

to camalu'

to san quintin

to mulino Viejo (old mill)

to cervezas and grub

Thanks. Doing that ride 2nd week October    With a chase truck to haul fuel. Tubes. Camping gear. Surf boards. Fishing gear. 

Whats up with Baja and flat tires. I never get flats here and we had 4 flats between 2 of us in 2 days with UHD tubes and Maxxis tires 3 weeks ago.

Ill probably have gone mousse by the time this ride happens but my tire installer hates them.

OK, it looks like 20 miles from Santo Tomas to Coyote Cals in Erendira. Then 12 miles to Colonet. And another 15 to San Quintin. 

That mileage is from the Baja Alamanac/my math. Hope this helps. 

I know some of our folks have some GPS tracks as theare are 2 or 3 main routes (middle of Santo Tomas vs the road to La Bocana). 

12 hours ago, Ken S said:

Thanks. Doing that ride 2nd week October    With a chase truck to haul fuel. Tubes. Camping gear. Surf boards. Fishing gear. 

Whats up with Baja and flat tires. I never get flats here and we had 4 flats between 2 of us in 2 days with UHD tubes and Maxxis tires 3 weeks ago.

Ill probably have gone mousse by the time this ride happens but my tire installer hates them.

Mousse seems like A good idea. What are the cons of these ?

1 hour ago, CVRick said:

Mousse seems like A good idea. What are the cons of these ?

Cost and if doing lots of dual sport or long miles life is quickly shortened.

probably the best set up for those longer range rides is to use a well lubed front mousse and stick with UHD tubes for the rear. Team JCR Honda won a bunch of Baja races with that type set up.

Note FYI there is the special rally raid 18" Michelin  bib mousse designed for the http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-desert-race  tire  I believe its an M02  its 140/80-18 size but its a heavier design than the enduro 140/80-18 M14 mousse

Also note the M16 is the one you want use for the GT216AA 90/100-21 steamroller tire up front, after a few rides you can even stuff it with more. sorry for the hijack

can you continue the map from Erindira down the coastline to Molino viejo (San Quintin)?  I am certain that's route we've taken in the past

I can't. I will loan my Baja Almanac to whomever needs it, though. That has all of the good trails in it. Even the little itty bitty cow trails you'll want to know by the San Jose lighthouse.