I finally rode Lost Valley road on Friday thanks to Bsham posting up Big bikes out of Romana ride. We met at circle K in Ramona and headed towards Santa Ysabel truck trail to Black Canyon Road.

Wait, let's back up a bit. Thursday night while getting the bike prepped I saw my mattress pad and pillow I got from BP619 and thought maybe I should try and camp off the bike for the first time? I have been studying Wildwood's tracks and looking at all those trails up that way so I decided to load the camping stuff, and as MacDuncan would say, wander.image.jpeg

Here's Brian on his Super Tenere on Black Canyon Road. image.jpeg

Here I am ready to hit it! image.jpegimage.jpeg

Here's proof that I was on Lost Valley Rd. ( where I tipped over trying to get back on ). No more photos before Anza, Damnit Jim!image.jpeg

Brian had to get home, so we said later. Thanks for showing me the way.?image.jpeg

After lunch at La Cocina I put my cooling hat on and took off for the junction with 371 and 74 not knowing which way I would turn. I decided right to check out the Santa Rosa Mnt. TT. image.jpeg

The views going up where awesome!  You can see 74 bottom right in the first photo  image.jpeg

Looking up at the mountain was  spectacular. image.jpeg

When I saw the sign for the spring I had to turn in and check it out. It was so peaceful up there. Water runs down the trail, and the birds were taking advantage.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I was very surprised when this Hummer came down fairly close and was drinking and bathing. Very cool. image.jpegimage.jpegWhile I was at the Spring I could hear thunder, and there were some dark clouds forming. Only had a few drops come down.image.jpeg

when I left the Spring to go look for the "camp site" I had a semi close one with a jeep, gotta mind your pints and quarts! I don't know if I ever found the "camp site" though? Maybe? I wanted to get back down at a decent time to go get beer and a camp site some where ( hopefully ).

Looking down towards the  Desertimage.jpegComing down the mountain you could hear the thunder and see the rain. image.jpeg

image.jpegAt the Hemet Lake marketimage.jpegAfter getting a camp site at Hurkey creek I slabbed it to Idyllwild to get some dinner. I took my burger and potato salad back to camp where the beer was. I still had to set up. Good times!

Hurkey Creek campground early Saturday image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegI needed to get home so I took off around 7:30. Did a quick drive down by the lake, then I stopped at  The Paradise Valley restaurant for some grub. I was serenaded by Phoenix Fetherock. image.jpegimage.jpegI slabbed it home for a total of 283 miles. 

Good, fun, safe trip. I'll be doing it again. 

Cheers

that is one heck of a nice bike that brian has. the Tenere's derived from the earlier xt 550.

(im obviously sick with the whole xt550 thing)

beautiful pics . i wouldnt mind hearing featherock play some time .

Excellent pictures Jim. Glad you we're able to make a run up there.  Hurckey Creek Campground is not a bad option for a safe place to land and drop your gear.  I talked to one of the camp hosts there, and he said they don't have a problem with peoples camps being bothered by others.  We need to get one more camp in up on top of Santa Rosa though.

Nicely done, buddy.

And yes, that is a sweet Tenere. I'd like to ride one off road and see how it compares.

I enjoyed riding with you Jim. Look forward to the next one. Thanks for posting a ride report.

Nice RR and pics...thanks for sharing.