Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

500 Exc - 2017

" We know there is an all-new version for 2017 but that does not take anything away from what this bike already is. And it will be hard to make it that much better."

Jimmy L

Appears to be a long list ready to up-grade.  Will be fun to watch and listen.  This could be the perfect "Tour The West" moto.  Excites the mind, you know the possibilities. 

Time of Year many guys and gals are selling and contemplating the next inspirational ride for the fall.  Me, I am sticking with the 390 for inspiration.

First step:  Add a kickstarter.

The Christmas present will come around november december !

Ken just don't sell the 450/525, I think mine is going to be my long range bike for the duration of my time.

Chris

I heard the new xplor forks are garbage compared to the tried and true open chamber besides that new bike looks awesome. Kickstart not needed on these new bikes they start so easily plus a lithium battery will let it crank for days.

4 hours ago, Bp619 said:

I heard the new xplor forks are garbage compared to the tried and true open chamber besides that new bike looks awesome. Kickstart not needed on these new bikes they start so easily plus a lithium battery will let it crank for days.

I don,t know anything about the new forks -- where did you get your information ?  I like the ideal of compresion on one side and rebound on the other . 

The clicker on top are awesome i have that same idea on my husky 350 very handy for changes. I overheard that Info, comes from a racer whos friends with alot of the testers. On other hand they did say the air forks are performing great in alot of terrain and all skill level 

From my KTM dealer source the forks are not air forks. ???

Correct the air forks come on the offroad models, the excf get a upside down fork with adjusters on each leg on top similar to the husky and ktm 4cs fork

pho_bike_det.jpg?pagetitle=2017+KTM+500+   I believe this to be an Open Chamber Oil fork. 

On the KTM page, they claim - 10.5lbs.   That is a very large number.   Evidently the Link rear is 3lbs vs the lighter PDS. In that regard, the lighter PDS is a direct trade for the AER fork in terms of weight. Ha! If I wanted to loose a bunch of weight, could take off the 2 liters of water and god knows how much in tools. Let's not even talk about the 5 lbs over I walk around with.

Headed to the garage today to swap out my heavy old school battery for a lithium. Dang, That saved be a bunch of money on a new bike!!

The air fork is getting good reviews. Schmoke was running box stock air fork and liking them and he did the first couple mx nationals this season.

The spring forks without base valves/lower adjusters are not getting good feedback.

That in mind air fork spring rate does vary with temperature change.

3 hours ago, Suspenders said:

The air fork is getting good reviews. Schmoke was running box stock air fork and liking them and he did the first couple mx nationals this season.

The spring forks without base valves/lower adjusters are not getting good feedback.

That in mind air fork spring rate does vary with temperature change.

Can that be fixed or modified?? 

I'm sure it can but might take some time for the suspension companies to get them figured out, I know with the 4cs forks it took over a year for even the big guys to get them semi sorted and have had many revisions since then. Also consider this suspension is so personal from rider to rider that if I hate a setup the next guy loves it so I wouldn't base your buying decision off of just people's comments about suspension cause the bike itself looks awesome

With an air fork,  I really like the idea of being able to go from track to trail with just a pump and not a spring change. 

1 hour ago, Ptkatoomer said:

With an air fork,  I really like the idea of being able to go from track to trail with just a pump and not a spring change. 

Or have the ability to share a bike between riders of different size/weights without having to compensate spring rates one way or the other. 

The fork 4cs and the re-named 4cs can be made good, not epic but good. Some are modifying the fork with internals from another brand. Be it KYB or Marzocchi etc. with mixed results.

The air fork has an optional spring insert available from WP in case you like the feel of a spring fork or are afraid of a seal failure.

X-Plor     the all new 4CS......AER may just be the answer after all.

Did this new KTM remove the kick starter?  That is a deal breaker.  I am looking for a new dual sport, which means manufactured as a dual sport that is newer than 2008 and has both electric and kick start.  Any ideas?

Dont worry about the kicker, the husky havent had 1 for couple years now and new 17 bikes come with lithium battery should crank bike for a while plus the new fuel injection bikes start up within a crank or 2 once smog stuff removed. You should be able to add a kicker if its truly needed for couple hundred bucks

I've never owned a vehicle with 2 means of starting the engine. Either kick start or electric start never both. Only one ever problem with a 1965 Chevy Impala with a dirty starter connection. Cleaned it up and started like new. Even if it was 30 years old. ;) 

Nope.

http://www.ktm.com/enduro/500-exc-f/

"All EXC-F engines are fitted with an electric starter – a unique KTM feature and a major benefit at all levels of offroad racing. A super compact 495g lithium ion starter battery breathes life into the engine, shaving off an entire kilogram of excess weight while offering three times the starting energy. Because of its reliability, we decided to eliminate the kick-starter entirely."

On 9/3/2016 at 3:47 PM, Bagstr said:

Exc '17 have kicker.

My Mistake,  Kick Lever can be added but lever and internals Not on-boad off the floor.