Sign in to follow this  
don johnson

Finial get to ride

After 2+ years of no riding I finally get to go ride again, so where else would I go Greenhorn. Drove up Saturday the 11 th got to the campground just to find this

DSCN0777.JPG

Well I was relay looking forward to a fire, with night temperatures dropping onto the low 50 s , oh well at least I am here and will be riding tomorrow. On to the campsite . First thing I noticed was no camp host , so I talked to the guy camped near his spot. It seems there was no hot water for the shower but that did not matter as the showers were locked. After pondering the situation I decided to go back down the hill and camp at the lake , it was in the mid 60s at night and I could have a fire.

Got up Sunday and went off to breakfast at my usual, Chatter Box , it was out of business , boy things sure do change . Well I went into Isabella and had a great breakfast , corned beef hash biscuits ans gravy eggs and fruit. Then it was back up the hill to start my ride at my usual early 11:59 . Well the ride was GREAT even though I was very rusty and by myself . Ran the single track out to Portuguese flat paved road to the warming hut dirt road on up to Tobius where I posed for the forest cam at 1325. On to Frog then to the single track to Pup meadows now it is fun time . Part way down the very over grown trail I stopped to relieve myself ,parked my bike on the trail , just get started and there comes the only 4 guys I saw all weekend. They told me the trail was blocked last week by a large tree just ahead, so I moved my bike and let them go past. I could hear them when they got to the tree sounded like they got past so on I went . There wasn't enough room at the blockage to get your bars past the tree with your leg on the bike

DSCN0779.JPG

Picture 096.jpg

but you could get past thanks to the ants.

DSCN0783.JPG

Well on I went to the exit at the fire road . Seeings it was just me and my spot I decided to just explore fire roads for a while then back the single track  past Frog and on to the next single track. Never ran it that direction , it was steep (up) soft and tight then got rocky  for a while  This was my challenge for the weekend tipped a few times got stuck a few times

DSCN0785.JPG

but finally made it out to a fire trail . At that point I was tired and just ran fire trails back to the truck just before 6:00.

It was on to day 2 ,got the same breakfast up the hill and off just after 12:00 . Went the other way on Rancheria rd. ran the first section of Just Outstanding played on fire roads on the way to single tracks near Evans camp . Had to stop to open a cattle gate that's when I saw it, my bike is dripping oil , checked the sight gauge had to lean it over to see oil . That was the end of the day for me just limped back to the truck and go for a 3.5 mile hike before going home.

It was a great weekend and I am ready to go again soon.

Well, if you are going get back into riding, that's the way to do it.

I rode that area last May and can't wait to get back and explore it more.