Oracle

Team 5150 does AZBDR in 3 1/2 days...

This trip was a long time coming. I had actually planned it out last year and came very close to making it happen, then life stepped in the way and plans were changed. I ended up doing a shorter trip with my buddy (and work partner), Jeff (just2beers) to the Sequoias (see ride report below)

which was a ton of fun, but not a "bucket list trip". We came home from the ride with plans to do the AZBDR in the spring of 2016, and nothing was going stop us. So at the beginning of this year, Jeff and I started planning the trip. Jeff and I are both super busy guys; We both work 50-60 hours a week (sometimes more), are frequently on-call, have families with young active kids, wives that work full time too, and other responsibilities that make it tough for two guys to plan a week long trip during the same week. There was a lot of I can do this week, but Jeff couldn't, and vise versa, but we finally nailed a week down. We would be starting the AZBDR trip on Tuesday May 31st, 2016, the day after Memorial Day.

Several months before, while on a bike camping trip with Mikey777, I mentioned my desire to do the AZBDR and my determination to make it happen in 2016. Mikey expressed an interested as well, and I felt he would be a good fit with the team, so the invitation was extended for him to join team 5150. He accepted, pulled some strings with his GF, and work, and made it happen. As the planning continued, I bumped into CID (Chris) several times at various SDAR events, at which time he expressed an interest in joining as well. When I told him he was going have to take his KTM 950 SE off the market, he said naw, he would just ride his 525 EXC. That sealed if for me. CID was willing to ride a 525, among a group of three younger guys on KTM 950/990 Adventures, on a 2000 mile trip, which included significant portions of slab, at high speeds, potentially hot conditions....Yup, that qualified him for team 5150. Chris was in.

And so the journey began...several weeks out....with bike prep. I tore my bike (2006 KTM 950 Adventure) down to it's naked state. A full oil and filter change, air filter change, plugs, new tires, install a external USB power port, full inspection, etc, was in order. I like working on my bike. And I like the confidence this affords should problems arise in the field. And as luck, or "unluck", would have it, this would become important during the trip.

20160515_130030.jpg

As day 1 approached, Chris informed me that he would be trucking his bike out to his Havasu home, then renting a Uhaul truck to get his bike to Tucson, where he would drop the truck and ride his bike to Sierra Vista, Arizona, where we planned on meeting about 5 pm. This turned out to be a wise decision because of the impending super heat wave we were about to be graced with. Mikey, Jeff, and I would meet at the Starbucks in Ramona at 0700 hours, have a cup, then hit the road. Everyone was on time and things began as planned.

The three of us headed east on 78, through Brawley, and took the 111 over to the 8, where we pinned it for Yuma, where we would have lunch. We pulled in there around 1130 and hit the old road trip stand by, Inn-n-Out. It was delicious, and well deserved, based on the fact that we were already enduring triple digits temps. We filled up after lunch, hit the 8 east bound, and settled in to a nice 75 to 80 MPH cruise speed. Jeff and I are motor cops, we speak in police code frequently, ride in pairs at close distance, and feel comfortable because of our training, time riding together, and the type of job we do. We are brothers. Quickly, Mikey settled in and picked up on our 10 codes, hand signals, lane positioning, and just about everything else we do. He assimilated. He is now a brother and an honorary motor cop too (he does need to work on his slow speed meneuvering :-) ).

As we continued east, I started smelling fuel and noticed small drops of liquid (yeah, it was gasoline), coming over my front fairing and hitting me right in the face shield. We pulled over to check it out. A quick inspection revealed the gas was leaking from the tank breather line that runs between the two tanks. I thought I had over filled the tanks and maybe had some type of vapor lock on my hands. As I unlocked my fuel cap and opened it, the gasoline blew out of the tank (it was obviously under high pressure for unknown reason) and of course got all over me (that's really fun in 103 degree heat on the side of a major highway). We decided to carry on after relieving the pressure. And for a while, the problem was solved. We layed down 175 miles or so and then stopped for gas again.

After filling up and downing a gallon of water each, we hit the road again. 40 miles down the road I was getting sprayed with fuel again. By this time we were just east of Tucson on the side of the 10 and I was getting a little pissed off to be experiencing problems this early in the trip. As we were discussing our options, this guy goes by on a small KTM and I think, ----, there is more than one crazy guy willing to mob a 525 down the 10 freeway in triple digits temps. Just then, the "guy" pulls to the side of the road 1/4 east of us and sits there. I give him the thumbs up to let him know we are fine and we don't need his help. As it turns out, it's Chris, who had just dropped off his Uhaul truck (was behind schedule) and gotten on the freeway a couple exits west of us. What a coincidence. The whole team was together for the 1st time.

I decided to keep my gas caps cracked open to avoid the pressure that was building in my tanks and forcing gas out the vents. This solved the problem temporarily, and as a team, we continued east to our 1st nights destination.... a motel in Sierra Vista. We checked in and walked down the street to grab some dinner and beer...

20160531_183840.jpg

After dinner, with the help of team 5150, I pulled the headlight fairings off my bike, quickly discovered a kinked fuel breather line, which was obviously the culprit of my fuel gremlin. It got kinked during the reassembly process....note to self to be more detail oriented next time. Problem 1 solved. A couple shots of Jack in the parking lot and it was bed time....Total for the day....500 miles and 8 hours on the bike.

Day 2....

OH MAN,  Do you know what you have un-leashed giving CID the Secret Hand Signals?  Please tell me you did not give him the hand signals.

:o  :o

Same bike CID rode on the Cannonball Baker ride...

I vaguely remember a "Hotdogging" related event in a Yuma parking lot with the same bike... Maybe Crawdaddy can help with the details...

The report  looks like it's off to a good start... subscribed...

Good stuff, LB. Looking forward to this RR. 

As always, there is a little bit of apprehension before going on a long, group ride.  What will the weather be like? What camping gear to bring? What riding gear to wear/pack? How will the riders get along?  

The month before our ride was spent sorting out these kind of issues and prepping bikes.  Travis' AZBRDR ride report threw us all for a loop with the cold weather, snow, and mud.  Our entire group was re-thinking their lightweight sleeping bags for cold weather bags and adding cold-weather clothing to their kit.  However, the week before we left it looked like the temperatures were really going to rise and we once again started re-thinking our entire gear loads.  I probably packed, unpacked, and packed my bike gear at least 3 times. I also had to sort out how to keep a Garmin GPS, Delorme InReach, Rugged Radio, and phone all wired/charged up for the trip.  My bike was in good shape (fresh oil change, filter clean, fresh chain, and fresh Kenda Big Block tires (or so I thought) but gave it a good go through just to be certain.

I knew LB/Oracle, but not his partner Jeff/Just 2 Beers.  Considering they are both motor officers in the same department I figured my chances of being an odd-man out or having to deal with the new dude's stereotypical cop attitude (Ray-ban aviator wearing, cop swagger, etc.) were pretty high.  However, when we met at Starbucks I knew very quickly that LB picked a good group and things were going to be great. Jeff has a low key demeanor and a good sense of humor.  LB and Jeff are also a family men with younger kids so we all share the same struggle of finding family balance and time to ride.  

Before we even made it out of the SB parking lot, my envy of LB's and Jeff's slow speed bike maneuverability kicked in.  These guys can turn their fully loaded adventure bikes on a dime in small spaces!  And they can whip a u-turn like no other.  I was way outclassed in slow speed skills.

The ride out from Ramona to Sierra Vista was a hot slab fest.  We could also see LB cussing at his bike's fuel problem and could smell gas from way back in the line.  It was really bad.  At one of our stops after CiD magically joined us on the side of the freeway, LB popped his right side tank to vent it and gas came pouring out onto his hot exhaust.  I was standing right next to him and my eyes bulged out as I expected everything to burst into flames!  I quietly rolled my bike around 15 feet away. 

At that stop, I looked down at my rear tire and was shocked.  My once fresh 75-80% rear tire was now a 25% tire and we had not even started our dirt riding yet.  CiD's comment...."What did you bring a bald tire for?".  Me...."It didn't look like that this morning."  The hot road and fully loaded bike smoked that tire quick.  Note to self..need a better wearing knobby tire or slap brand new Kendas on!  So I was a little nervous going into day 2 with crap for a rear tire....   

First pic below is about two weeks out.....ended up picking a smaller tent and pulled out some smaller camping gear items I could do without.   

Second pic is at Starbucks    

rsz_20160521_200350.jpg

rsz_20160531_073027.jpg

Keep it coming guys! Great stuff thus far!

...and so day two begins...

Knowing it was going to be a very long and hot day, we decided to get up early and hit the road, or trail as it would be...I had made it clear prior to the start of the trip that we would be knocking down miles every day...maybe 200-300, regardless of the weather. This was more of a necessity than a desire as Mikey and Jeff had to be back by Sunday (6 days total, which leaves four days for the trail when you calculate in the "commute" time each way). This was not ideal, and became even more of a factor when calculating in the heat. Nonetheless, it was what it was. We are all decent riders and were comfortable with the game plan.

Whenever you have a group of guys, there always seems to be "that one guy" who is late, or doesn't have his ---- together. I'm happy to say this wasn't the case with team 5150. Everyone was ready to role within 5 minutes of our agreed upon departure time, which was 7 am. Since we had stayed at a motel that night, we had taken off all our bags and gear prior to calling it a night. That meant we had to repack the bikes in the morning. Everyone had their system down and I had a good idea we were all on the same page when we pulled out of the parking lot.

The first stop would be to top off our fuel tanks and "water up", which meant finding a way to carry at least 4 liters of water per person. I point this out because of those that haven't traveled off road in extreme conditions like this will want to take note and not pack their saddle bags so full of unnecessary items that there is no room for an adequate water supply. Water equals life.

20160601_070554.jpg

After our gas/water stop, we headed south in search of the Coronado National Forest, where the AZBDR starts. It didn't take long to find the official starting point. Everyone was excited to get started, so a quick photo op, and we were on our way. We crested the first mountain range and dropped down into the high plains on our way to Sonorita. What a beautiful area. We talked about how it felt like we were riding across the plains of Africa. At that point I think we became aware of how special Arizona is. By the end of the trip, several of us discuss the possibility of retiring to Arizona eventually.

20160601_072611.jpg

20160601_082318.jpg

We made it Sonorita in no time. Because of the heat, we were forced to be strategic and plan our camp sites as high in elevation as possible. I had discuss my plan with Afry prior to leaving, inquiring as to weather Pioneer pass was doable in one day. He ensured it it was, but that it would be a long one. And he was right. We had a 240 miles day planned, with Pioneer pass as our final destination. Because of this strategic planning, and the heat, we decided to bypass the infamous sand section. We carried on. Before long, we were through Benson and on our way to Mammoth....

20160601_085034-1.jpg

We made Mammoth, topped off, and immediately hit the trail again. There is a couple sections between Mammoth and Pioneer Pass that are what I would consider intermediate sections on a fully loaded Adventure bike, especially in the heat (I know, I know, I keep mentioning the heat. But it was a hot topic...bada bing). Jeff and I found ourselves over heating our big bikes in a couple of the rocky sections. It wasn't much of a problem, just took a few breaks to let the bikes cool down, then changed our riding style from high reving the bikes (i.e. riding in a lower gear) in the technical sections to bogging them down a bit more. This makes riding a bit risky, i.e. more likely to stall the bike, but the less fuel going exploding inside the engines, the cooler they will run. The change in riding style paid off as we had no further problems that day.

By 5 pm, we were pulling into Pioneer pass...and as our luck would have it....

20160601_160446.jpg

the campground was CLOSED due to "problem bear" activity. We were wiped out after spending 10 hours on the saddle and logging 240 miles so we stopped in the shade to figure out a plan B. Everyone was a tad tired and disappointed and we contemplated breaking the rules and pitching our camp right there. But you never know when messing with the Feds. Fines are usually steeper and Rangers less forgiving then real LEO's. So we contemplated riding down to Globe for a motel or pirate camp somewhere. We decided to ride down to Globe and figure it out. On route, CID found a nice side route just outside of the "official" camp ground and we decided to make it our home for the night. It turned out to be a good choice. Being the smart guys we are, we had planned ahead and grabbed a couple 24 ouncers each while down in Mammoth. We were stocked with beer and whiskey...heck yeah...it was going be a good 1st night on the trail after all.

13319856_10208205586950111_8443258165816923388_n.jpg

And we felt safe since CID had his 1st aid kit

20160601_191008-1.jpg

We all tucked into our tents around 9 pm and CID seranaded us with a song. Not more than 5 minutes later, him and Mikey were sawing logs and I was staring up at the stars through my mesh ceiling (there would be no need for rain flys on this trip) wondering what tomorrow had in store for us....

Day 2....was awesome.  

We hit the start of the trail and went up and over a pass dropping into Serengeti like grasslands.  We were expecting wildebeests, gazelles, and lions to show up as we rounded the corners.  Instead, we ran into some big a$$ cows and bull who had that, "None shall pass" look on his face.  We eventually passed a ranch for sale along the way and I caught LB lustily looking at and clearly day-dreaming about his upcoming AZ retirement.  We rode on and eventually we all hit a cattle guard while hauling ass.  Nothing like fully loaded adventure bikes flying through the air!

LB's version of an "intermediate" trail going up to Pioneer Pass....well...let's just call it "intermediate & challenging" in parts for big bikes.  I ended up in sweep in this section as I stayed behind to help Jeff nurse his overheating 990.  As we moved on, there is fairly steep, rutty section followed immediately by a hard right uphill turn into a particularly rocky section.  It is one of those sections you look at and get that "I hope I make it" feeling.  

Jeff proceeded up the trail to the left and his Heidenau Scouts just couldn't hold grip on the hard pack surface.  He slid into the rut to his right and down he went.  I could tell he was a bit embarrassed as he hurriedly picked up his bike, jumped on, and hit the throttle.  However, his bike spun into a 180 degree turn and down he went again with his bike now facing downhill.  (Note. Heidenau Scouts suck for DG and sand)

Did LB mention it was hot?  

I could see Jeff was getting tired/exhausted, so I laid my bike against the bank (no place to put a stand down).  Jeff and I then wrestled his bike back into position and collapsed on our butts under the shade dripping in sweat.  Jeff asks, "You ready?".  I answer "Nope".  So we sit there cooling down.  CiD finally came down to offer us some words of encouragement.  We talked out some lines through the uphill rocky section. Jeff fired up and off we went.

LB forgot to mention that we hear, "I need help" over the radios near Pioneer Pass. Jeff, myself and CiD were all together and could not figure out where LB was.  It was an "oh ----" moment as LB needing help means something bad could have happened.  Turns out he was scouting out a campsite, tried to turn around on a small ridgeline and fell down an embankment.  We were relieved to find him standing but it took all four of us to get his bike back up on the trail.  Just next to where LB fell was a broken beer bottle with the shards facing upwards.  Even though he landed on a rock, he got really lucky he didn't fall on the beer bottle.  It would have been ugly.

However, Day 2 ended great with four dudes drinking beers/booze, telling stories, and watching endless amounts of satellites cross the night sky. 

CiD and I snore.  You were warned.

Pic below is at a break stop.  Four guys crammed under that shady bush next to LB's bike. 

rsz_20160601_115219.jpg

LOL, thanks for filling in some of the blanks. I was trying to get away with not mentioning my one and only get off. But it was a good one and happened because I didn't listen to that voice in my head that said "don't be dumb, take your time and do a three point turn because this ledge is too small to complete a turn in one pass on a fully loaded 950 V-twin monster"...There is nothing worse then putting down your outside foot and finding nothing but air....

I know CID has a picture of it, which should be inserted here:

Cool stuff guys that heat is no joke had average of 102 Temps last year on my solo ride was miserable I couldn't imagine a week of it. Keep it coming 

I'm enjoying the back and forth perspectives of this RR from LB and Mikey. Very cool.

DanRider and I did this ride when it was brisk and chilly and it was still challenging in some spots. Can't imagine all of that AND the extreme heat. Definitely some badassery going on there.

Enjoying the read too.  I'd like to hook up with folks for a multi-day big bike ride some time.

Same issue though that the other guys have, busy work schedule with frequent travel (heading to Geneva Saturday) plus kids and home life - which of course is why I need to get away on the bike :)

Hot write-up guys! Pun intended...

Here is the requested picture. The spot was small and the picture doesn't really show the angle the bike was laying in or that it was a couple of feet below the trail. We were all a little frustrated that we couldn't camp in the area at the top of the mountain and we were a little tired from a long day in the saddle, but this is a good group of guys and we all kept our cool.

P1080913_zpsr1fzdemn.jpg

CiD

3 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Here is the requested picture. The spot was small and the picture doesn't really show the angle the bike was laying in or that it was a couple of feet below the trail. We were all a little frustrated that we couldn't camp in the area at the top of the mountain and we were a little tired from a long day in the saddle, but this is a good group of guys and we all kept our cool.

P1080913_zpsr1fzdemn.jpg

CiD

Yeah, that sure doesn't do the situation justice. It looks like I could have just picked that up myself but in reality, it took four of us to get it back on two wheels. I'm looking pretty tired and haggard there.

4 hours ago, Oracle said:

Yeah, that sure doesn't do the situation justice. It looks like I could have just picked that up myself but in reality, it took four of us to get it back on two wheels. I'm looking pretty tired and haggard there.

All I can say is that Oracle, Mikey777, and CID have been spot on about the trip. I had a great time doing this trip and learned a ton. A great bunch of guys to ride with. I might add that luckily my pride was the only thing bruised. I'll insert some points and pics later on. 

Glad you guys made it back safe and sound.  Hot one boys, I bet you could not wait to make up on the ridge line in Payson when the temp will drop bit, and the nights are cooler.

Noticed the Klim shirt in the photo.  How was it for heat wicking?  They are supposed to have some new models coming out this summer.  Really like my Klim Badlands jacket.

LB and I both wore perforated KLIM jerseys.  We also both wear a t-shirt (Under Armor moisture wicking for me), off-road armor over that, and then the KLIM Jersey on top.  The Klim jerseys breath well. I think most of the wicking is actually done by the t-shirt and not necessarily the jersey due to the multiple layers underneath.  My jersey generally felt pretty dry the entire time even though we were drenched in sweat underneath for most of the trip.

We both brought KLIM Overland jackets with us.  We wore them for a couple hours on the ride out from Ramona and never touched them after that.  LB went with KLIM Mojave Pants. I wore KLIM Dakar pants.  I was fine in the Dakars as they still breath pretty well.  Over all, I give the KLIM gear a big thumbs up. 

If you are going to wear a Camelback or wearable pack, the KLIM Overland jacket works really well because your pack straps aren't covering up/tangling with all your pockets.  This was my riding gear loadout below.  (I am a little OCD in my prep.)

20160522_155816.jpg

I wore a Klim jersey with a cotton t-shirt underneath the entire ride. I don't wear upper body armor because I've always found it to restricting ( I don't want to start an ATGATT discussion). This is my standard outfit most of the time riding, if it's cold I wear a long sleeve shirt under my jersey and then add jacket or windbreaker when needed. 

CiD

Anybody bring/wear a CoolVest or similar? Interesting RR and just studly knockin' that out in the heat/time frame.

I do like the multiple perspectives.  Makes for great reading. Nice job guys.