Sign in to follow this  
ktm-licious

2014 Husqvarna TC 250

Need some advise. I found a 2014 Husqvarna TC 250 on craigs list  

I've been looking for a two stroke, that I can take to the track and also be able to go to corral and lark. 

Would this his bike be a mistake or a good buy?

You would have to change your screen name 

sounds like would be awesome bike suspension may be a little stiff for mccain and corral or visa versa setup softer and little soft for mx.

Oh yeah didn't think of my screen name. 

I'll still keep my ktm, probably never sell that one

I know it's too much to ask for a machine to do trails and mx. I just miss the good old two strokes.

No need to change your screen name.  Just think of the TC as a white, yellow and blue KTM, because that's what it is.;)

KTM, its the MX version that is the only thing to consider, so it's like buying a 250SX to go trail riding. SX compression, SX ignition, 5 speed (tall first), 19in rear wheel. Things to consider.

positives- no extra stuff hanging off, its a stripped down race bike, KTM 250/300 powerplants and chassis  are very tunable- go hard or go soft, Husky actually is softer than the SX due to less airbox flow (we all have added air holes to get "KTM like" power from our Huskys .

Me personally (IMHO) I would go TE250/300.......for soft power enduro ignition map, 18in rear off road wheel. But again all that is doable on the TC if you want it.

PS for note from the higher level on the TC250

- at the Graham Jarvis school we did, he was on a TC250 Husky USA loaner bike and he did ALL he does on the TC (MX bike) with little or no effort......

also we have ridden some hardcore/enduro local stuff with a  Husky USA employee and multi time ISDE and Team USA  ISDE Trophy rider Ron S, he rides a loaner TC250 (rarely sits and rides like a trials bike over the technical stuff like that G-Force guy was doing). He said he likes the snap of the TC for hopping stuff and its lightweight feel.

Negatives - I think Graham could ride a Harley through what I consider hard enduro. 

I probably would prefer a TE model, but I think what I found on craigs it's a pretty good deal. $4300 for a very clean TC. 

For a novice rider like me, would it be to difficult to trail ride with the TC gearing and 19" tire?

Thanks for the info!

19 in low profile lots of pros use them off road stiff sidewall ("no" sidewall) , firm tire feel, less to no squirm, think low profile road racing tires on cars, less tire suspension when hitting sharp stuff.

negative easy to flat, and choices of tires, primarily MX types, but of course some tires are do it all types anyway.

MX tall first.....maybe can be fine for you, you can always play with final drive- downside to "open" gearing will really show the tall first. Five speed does limit it some, as far as well rounded setup goes.

Plus= very light machine

minus=No estart-----these are super easy to kick anyway.

plus=less equipment=extra light weight machine.

install ARC Memlon levers and flag type handguards (OEM) type are very very good and look good too)

Keep it super light.

Great info, thanks Robert. 

I'll keep you posted, if bike still for sale this weekend I'll jump on it. 

I do all the hard stuff on my YZ450F. Even that Graham Jarvis riding clinic Roberto mentioned. One thing for sure an MX transmission is not suited for hard enduro. It is a great bike in the woods, I love the chassis and the new engine layout but, you'll learn really quick what the "friction zone" is and how to properly "slip the clutch" to clear rocks and hill climbs. Or you'll learn how to ride faster so you're not punishing your clutch over ever hill climb and obstacle you come across. 

In the faster flowy singletrack the close ratio trans is a gem as it makes gear selection less critical. 

My plan is to someday swap a WR transmission into my YZ. OR at least test ride a YZ450FX or WR to see if it what I want. I'm suprised my OE clutch is still holding out after 180 hours of what I've put it through.

thread shift subject change in response to PastaP- John you need to upgrade...cmon just splurge and get the YZ450FX it's already fully cooked and ready to go. And its receiving great reviews out of the box.....now the Big blue needs to do some tweener sizes....like a 300-400 displacement model in the F range....and a 260-300 for the 2T range.

anytime you doubt the capability of the TC/TE 250/300, just tune into some G-Force Viddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like this one because of the slo-mo studies

Ok I'm convinced even though I probably will never do anything like what's on the video.

know I really wan the bike.

Here's a video of the bike

I'm picking it up tomorrow :D:D:D:D:D

IMG_0439.mov

Thanks for all the info and videos guys. 

Bought the bike and know in its new home. 

I'm surprised how easy it kick over. 

And how light it feels. 

I'm going to take it to the track first get use to it then, trails. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice buy. Since its an mx bike and intended for closed course competition make sure you're packing a spark arrestor before venturing forth on the trails.

Super nice machine. 1st thing I notice, many tiny holes drilled in airbox sidecover are very ineffective, less amount of large holes are better, however no holes keep the Huskys in "soft" mode, we can discuss this, I have lots of data on Husky breathing tech. FMF and FMF silencer (which models?)

MB1 forks?, nice, Mike Battista does super top tier work. Are they still full on 4CS configuration with no adjustments at the bottom of the forks?

Feel free to PM or phone me up.

IMHO for trails you want to be in 2nd and 3rd gear mostly (on TE 1st is a very low gear), this keeps things smooth, but on the TC it has a long 1st so you may find 1st and 2nd are being used more. You need time to ride test get used to and feel the entire package.

For your data comparison notes

from my Owners manual.

TE250/300

1 14:32

2 16:26

3 20:25

4 22:23

5 25:22

6 26:20

most of us TE and XC-W guys run STD final drive 13:50

IMHO I would focus on matching up the ratios in mid, the most used gears, from spec The TC250 comes STD with 13:48 final, for trails probably just step into a lower final of the TE (13:50) will do you right and tighten up the tall first a bit. I don't know about you but I rarely ever use top gear on trails (55+MPH), so the focus would be a good mid gear 2-3 and even 4, balance of power and smoothness (best torque RPM riding range).

But heck ride it, test it, feel it, before getting all wrapped up in internet suggestions from me and others, after all you are the pilot.

If you want to test a 3 hole side cover I have one, let me know.

It adds some snap and overall power/torque to these machines by opening up the airbox to a more KTM configuration of airflow spec. Example of "open" the airbox mods on my TE300 I have in fotos.

Note the race teams bikes use full breath from the "hand holds" which are really air intakes, So you only see some of them with sidecover holes. AMA guys many times use side cover holes, FIM guys use the full on CF racing subframe that is fully open for breathing (rules of modification differ).

Pictures available upon request--- just get out and ride it, just keep these notes in your file for potential use later.

If you have this in your bike you can add more bonus gold to your purchase

http://www.mb1suspension.com/#!4cs-mb1-performance-kit/cndp

quick check to see, is if you have comp adjusters on the bottom of the forks , on OEM 4CS there are no adjusters on the fork bottoms only Right red REB and Left wht Comp on top.

6 hours ago, PastaPilot said:

Nice buy. Since its an mx bike and intended for closed course competition make sure you're packing a spark arrestor before venturing forth on the trails.

yes, the previous owner installed a spark arrestor silencer. So I'm good there. 

6 hours ago, robertaccio said:

Super nice machine. 1st thing I notice, many tiny holes drilled in airbox sidecover are very ineffective, less amount of large holes are better, however no holes keep the Huskys in "soft" mode, we can discuss this, I have lots of data on Husky breathing tech. FMF and FMF silencer (which models?)

MB1 forks?, nice, Mike Battista does super top tier work. Are they still full on 4CS configuration with no adjustments at the bottom of the forks?

Feel free to PM or phone me up.

IMHO for trails you want to be in 2nd and 3rd gear mostly (on TE 1st is a very low gear), this keeps things smooth, but on the TC it has a long 1st so you may find 1st and 2nd are being used more. You need time to ride test get used to and feel the entire package.

For your data comparison notes

from my Owners manual.

TE250/300

1 14:32

2 16:26

3 20:25

4 22:23

5 25:22

6 26:20

most of us TE and XC-W guys run STD final drive 13:50

IMHO I would focus on matching up the ratios in mid, the most used gears, from spec The TC250 comes STD with 13:48 final, for trails probably just step into a lower final of the TE (13:50) will do you right and tighten up the tall first a bit. I don't know about you but I rarely ever use top gear on trails (55+MPH), so the focus would be a good mid gear 2-3 and even 4, balance of power and smoothness (best torque RPM riding range).

But heck ride it, test it, feel it, before getting all wrapped up in internet suggestions from me and others, after all you are the pilot.

I'll am at work but I'll check to see what model silencer was installed. 

No clue on the forks but I'll check that as well. 

One issue I noticed when I ride it around the block, was the bike creeps a bit when I engage it in gear, I have to have the clutch all the way in, in order not to move. 

Is that a sign that I need to replace the clutch?

bike only has 38 hrs. 

If your transmission  is anything like my YZ, and I wager to guess it is, 13:50 will be your ideal. First gear ratio will always be too low and fifth too high. It's an MX bike, accept it. Going to 13:52 will lower the speed range of the  transmission requiring less clutch work in first but lowering 5th gear transfer section speeds to comfortably cruising at 40 mph. I cruise at 45. Any faster it is unbearable for me to sit on top of the engine while I drone along at, what 50, 55? 

I ride real low in the RPM as the bike is more manageable there but most trails are a constant shuffle between 1, 2 and 3. I rode ST in Oregon that had me in 5th for a while but that is a rarity, even third will only be for a few moments. 

Enjoy thenew bike. It will be a lot of fun.

yep opinion the same with Jon (the guy who really needs to get a YZ450X!!)  just checked with AA AMA enduro pro on the Nat 250 2 stroke race bike built up from a TC250, he uses 13:49, but he is just a little faster than we "normal" guys are.

13:50 should be a good balance for sure.

1 clutch, first thing in the TS theory would be to adjust your lever

2  put fresh oil in the trans (moto centric is my choice- Maxima MTL X lite is what I use-- but this can turn into a dreaded oil thread) Just use Moto (BelRay,Spectro etc etc) specific lite oil and change it regularly, lite oil in these bikes makes me smile, easy shifting, clutch feel good etc etc.

3 Possible Hydro clutch issue, service the hydro clutch then adjust the level adjuster. OEM spec fluid.

4 possible Bellville washer issue on the DDS clutch,

5 or simply warped drive or friction plates issue.

6 damper rubbers hardened or beat up (mostly cause jerkiness) these can fail fast from clutch friction heat (slipping induced) .

38 hours is very low, Im a slipper along with my auto slipper rekluse and Im near 100 with little or no issues.