HacksawPete

Anybody doing the Big bear dual sport?

Hello, OB rider here on my first post.  I'd like to do the big bear dual sport and need to do some training rides.  I would like to do the hard loop if I could get enough training rides in.  Otherwise the easy loop will do.   I'm riding a WR250R with fairly minimal mods.   Anybody interested in midweek rides at corral canyon?

I am, and I'm wide open next week! 

Do you know the trails around Corral at all? I do not...so we'd need to pick up a guide, GPS, map, or all of the above. 

don't rely on them having maps there, print one out online but it wont show ranger or the side trails off 11 I think.

We normally park at kernan crossroads, do kernan to 4 corners to 1 all way to 3 then hit broncos peak and come back down 3 to 1 to main road to 4 then to ranger cross 5 and continue ranger to 11 do side loops on 11 to main road turn left go less than a mile and hit other side of ranger back to 11. then either back track on ranger to 4 or go down 5 to main road. Then 4 to main road to 3 right turn on 1 then left on 6 to main corral camp ground to 2 to 9 back to bobcat then 1 to and do the hard route on 1 (wrangler connector) back to 4 corners down kernan to the trucks. If your training 4 the hard route on the big bear run have lunch at truck and do same route all over again and maybe loop in 7 and 8 and then do it 1 more time and you should be good for big bear.

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

don't rely on them having maps there, print one out online but it wont show ranger or the side trails off 11 I think.

We normally park at kernan crossroads, do kernan to 4 corners to 1 all way to 3 then hit broncos peak and come back down 3 to 1 to main road to 4 then to ranger cross 5 and continue ranger to 11 do side loops on 11 to main road turn left go less than a mile and hit other side of ranger back to 11. then either back track on ranger to 4 or go down 5 to main road. Then 4 to main road to 3 right turn on 1 then left on 6 to main corral camp ground to 2 to 9 back to bobcat then 1 to and do the hard route on 1 (wrangler connector) back to 4 corners down kernan to the trucks. If your training 4 the hard route on the big bear run have lunch at truck and do same route all over again and maybe loop in 7 and 8 and then do it 1 more time and you should be good for big bear.

easy as that

Mmmhmm...like I was saying, a guide is probably our best bet. =)

I'd like to take my YZ250...so if we can avoid any plated areas I'd be more keen. If it's going to be a plated ride I do have my DRZ as well. 

The route suggested by BP619 sounds great but something I'd have to work up to      I normally park at the Corral Canyon camping area and ride from there.   Meeting out there on Wed or Thur would work for me,   I have a map and some of the trails are on my GPS.  The trail "Ranger" is not on my map but will be after I tracking on the GPS.   

We're set for Wednesday morning at 9:00 AM. Meeting at the CC Campground. I'll bring my YZ 250. 

Yes and no, for vehicles or bikes parked on forestry land yes you do. So if your camping off bike or off truck in the mountain forestry area you do. If your driving or riding the bike or truck all day then no.

To be clear, if I truck to the campground and park for the day to ride I do not need a pass? 

Thanks Brian!

53 minutes ago, Bluhdow said:

To be clear, if I truck to the campground and park for the day to ride I do not need a pass? 

Thanks Brian!

Pass would be needed for truck not for bike

Hey guys, I'm really sorry but I need to scratch on this ride. Looks like I'm headed to Joshua Tree tomorrow AM and won't be back until Wednesday evening. I'm game for Thursday if you're willing to push...otherwise have great ride!

ok, no ride this week.   I went to Big Bear this weekend to ride the area and I was really surprised how extensive the off-road system is.  I rode on both sides of the lake on mostly nice fire roads with great views but I found a few challenging sections.  My GPS (Garmin 64s) didn't show all the roads so it looks like I need to update the map.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a map base that would be useful?

2 hours ago, Obrider said:

ok, no ride this week.   I went to Big Bear this weekend to ride the area and I was really surprised how extensive the off-road system is.  I rode on both sides of the lake on mostly nice fire roads with great views but I found a few challenging sections.  My GPS (Garmin 64s) didn't show all the roads so it looks like I need to update the map.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a map base that would be useful?

Maybe?

http://www.californiatrailmap.com/

Lisa and I had a good time working Check Point 7 and blowing minds with snow cones to chill down the riders..........not many made it out to us since our check point was after 38 special (so we wound up giving snow cones out to passing jeepers as well)

I was surprised to hear ~40+ finishers (I didn't count up my check in sheet before handing it off).......but we did have a quite a swell of riders pass through between 5-6:30......I bet we only had ~20 riders pass through before 5pm.......the first two riders passed through our checkpoint at 2:30 (the Nicholson boys).  There were only ~24 miles to the finish after our check point (the riders had to pass back across Gold Mtn in the opposite direction)

009_zpsove8hbdq.jpg

Good stuff chris, orbider how did the hard route go on your wr250r?

Wow sounds like a tough one!  Super bummed I missed the ride, but maybe I wouldn't have been able to get a snow cone anyways!! 

I wimped out on the hard ride and did the easy loop.   It was a good ride but it took me six and a half hours (riding time) to do and it had no technical sections.   I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten a snow cone either.    My son broke a clutch lever and we had to go back to the start, from the gas stop, to scrounge for the part.   People at the start were very helpful and Glenn (don't recall his last name) gave us the lever.  I would have been happy to pay for it but he was happier to get us going.   The entire event was fun and my son really wants to the hard loop next year.

My WR250R did really well.   My decision to do the easy loop was more due to lack of training than lack of an orange motorcycle (I also have a green sticker 525).   The 250 clearly has limitations but I like riding it.   

15 hours ago, Obrider said:

My WR250R did really well.   My decision to do the easy loop was more due to lack of training than lack of an orange motorcycle (I also have a green sticker 525).   The 250 clearly has limitations but I like riding it.   

The first rider to finish a few years ago was on a WR250R.......seriously (GPS Kevin's son).......he earned his plaque again this year on a WR250R along with his buddy who was also on a WR250R........they came through our check point mid afternoon........probably finished somewhere in the top 20....... 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:39 PM, Obrider said:

I wimped out on the hard ride and did the easy loop.   It was a good ride but it took me six and a half hours (riding time) to do and it had no technical sections.   I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten a snow cone either.    My son broke a clutch lever and we had to go back to the start, from the gas stop, to scrounge for the part.   People at the start were very helpful and Glenn (don't recall his last name) gave us the lever.  I would have been happy to pay for it but he was happier to get us going.   The entire event was fun and my son really wants to the hard loop next year.

If you don't mind What do you have done to your WR?  I have the same bike with the FMF megabomb and Q4 with the FMF FI module.  Also a hi-flow intake,  I just can't get it to run correctly.  I get it close, then a temp swing or altitude and its way off again.   If its all stock, I guess you don't need to mess with it at altitude?

Thanks in advance

Mine is basically stock and it ran fine.   Like all normally aspirated engines it put less power at altitude.   Here's what I've done.
13/52 gearing
Appropriate tires
New pegs and grips
Handlebar risers
Double take mirror
Fixed the airbox open
Auxiliary power plug for GPS
Bash plate
Radiator guard

I really want to do the fender eliminator but I'm waiting to break the turn signals off.  I thought that would happen the first time I dropped it but the are somehow still ok.  In late August, I'll head back to Big Bear and see if I can ride up 38 special.  That should take care of the turn signals.