ellingsen

anyone up for tecate-san felipe-catavina-san quintin-ensenada-guadalup

Eagle rider has an adventure ride with the above listed route; looks like a great adventure ride. From San Felipe it would be south down the coast of the sea of cortez. I'm thinking of going soon, before it gets too warm, possibly even this Friday 4/29/16. Anticipating this would be 2 to 3 day ride with overnight stops in san felipe and san quintin. Would stay in motels. Anyone game for this ride?? Link to ride eagle rider's trip description http://www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle-tours/guided-motorcycle-tour/8-day-baja-dual-sport-adventure-tour

You got my attention friday April 29- may 1st I'm free, I already had another trip planned but I originally wanted to do a similar trip to this. What kinda bike you on and skill level.

I like this verbiage about the route from San Felipe to Catavina via Coco's Corner:

Now that we've ridden some great roads, today we take a relaxing cruise down the coast. The road is nicely paved and runs along the picturesque shores of the Sea of Cortez. However, the pavement doesn't last forever and we'll soon be riding where our bikes are meant to be. Out in the middle of the desert is famous outpost called Coco's Corner. As we cool down for the evening in Catavina and reflect on the ride so far, keep in mind that part of our EagleRider experience introduces you to places and cultures you may not be familiar with. Enjoy and embrace a different way of life.

And this...

They say that all roads lead to the ocean and today this message holds truth. However, there is plenty of riding today be fore we put our feet in the cool waters of the Pacific Ocean. You'll be amazed today as we ride through huge boulder and cactus fields en route to San Quintin. Get ready for a treat this afternoon as we'll be riding on the beach to our hotel. That's right, no roads, no trails; simply the sand beneath your tires and the Pacific Ocean to your left. Awesome!

Very nice.

I would love to go, but I am doing the Los Ancianos ride this weekend. If you're taking a proper dirt bike, I have tracks for a much better ride from the gulf than the one by way of Coco's. Frankly, the stuff around Coco's is mostly whooped out from the various Baja routes run through there. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you some tracks. It's basically due east out of Gonzaga Bay to just south of Catavina.

Also, the Mission Inn in Catavina is probably my favorite hotel in all of Baja. No cell service, a decent restaurant, and an amazing shower. Plus it's only $40 for a double.

i'm out, keeping with my original plan and going solo, no updates on this one so not enough time to change plans and all new routes. 

That route looks awesome. Id love to do a ride like that but not with that tour group. I cant believe how much $$$ they want for it. I guess it makes sense if you are renting an ADV bike from them though. Anyways, thanks for the link...something for my future 

Thanks for the comments.  jawhitmoyer i'd love to see the tracks you have; please forward.   Bp619 sorry for the late response, I thought I had the reply notification on but didn't.  I still would like to take this trip, I have some flexibility on dates but we should go fairly soon before it gets too warm.   The guided tour with eagle rider is pretty expensive but i'm not suggesting going on that tour, I just used their route for inspiration.  Due to the distance, i'm planning on taking large ADV bike (I also have a plated WR450)..   I have a lot of on and off road riding experience.  Lets do this ride, I think it would be a blast !   Let me know what dates you can go; or maybe I'll just post a date. 

Paul 760 213 9900

I can do this trip this weekend, leaving either Friday may 6th or sat may 7th.  Thinking if making it a two day trip with overnight stop in Bahía San Luis Gonzaga which is aprx 90 mi south of san felipe on the sea of cortez.  There is a motel and 2 campgrounds there on a great beach that divides two picturesque bays.  This would be pretty close to the halfway point.  Bahía San Luis Gonzaga is about 370 miles from the border.   My plan would be to camp on the beach and eat in restaurants.   Would this weekend work for people??

here is a view of Bahía San Luis Gonzaga.  It is reported to be very scenic; I've never been there.  Alfoninas is the motel and one of the restaurants. 

That's a big loop in 2 days, guessing you plan on slabbing some etc? i have a free weekend but haven't ridden in a couple months..

yes, this ride would be primarily on paved roads, with some unpaved sections towards the south end of mex 5 before hooking up with mex 1. As a two day ride, it would be riding most of the day, stopping when desired.  I see it as a scenic mostly highway touring type ride.  Best type moto would be larger ADV.  This could be extended to a 3 day ride.  I love to ride off road, but am not familiar with good off road routes in that area.  Also my GS is not fun to ride in sand; and my WR450 is not fun for extended highway riding, and doesn't have much cargo carrying capacity or fuel range.  For an off road riding focused trip, i'd rather transport the dirt bike there and probably stay an extra day or so.  

Should be a fun route especially for riders that haven't been to these places.  Another thing I like about this route is it is a big loop; no riding the same road twice.  to clarify the planned route:

cross at otay; head east to tecate; then south on mex 3; south on mex 5 to san felipe.   Then continue south on mex 5 to over night stop on the beach at Bahía San Luis Gonzaga.  Next day continue on mex 5 south, to coco's, continue to mex 1, take mex 1 all the way to TJ, stopping wherever desired; which could be catavina, san Quintin, Ensenada, puerta Nuevo, rosarito beach.  As mentioned, this is essentially the route laid out by eagle rider for one of their baja rides.   

After mentioning may 6th or sat may 7th, I realized may 8 is mother's day.  I could still go, but just want to make that clarification.  Otherwise I can go most weekends, and possibly even during the week. 

I'd like to join a mex ride .

crf 450 

moderate skillz .

some mechanical knowledge.

also speak pequoto spaniol .

i will buy tacos for the leader as I don't know any trails down there.

Count me in if its a small bike mostly dirt ride. 100 mile range on gas stops.