Sign in to follow this  
Getsmacked440

Mechanic who knows the drz

Had a problem come up. I spent a little bit time checking a few things but i didn't resolve the issue. Just wanna get it done ASAP so I can ride. Basicly it stalls out like your outa gas. Tank carb lines petcock are working fine. Anyway who do you send your drz to?

A little more info could save you money with the DRZ experts here. At what time does this problem happen? At full throttle? Does the bike start fine? Can you sit at a stand still and rev the engine up and down?

It starts up normal. And can rev it up and down. It happened at lark. 2nd gear low rpm. Poped a few times and stalled. Since then it pops and will stall randomly. Full throttle or not. It wants to stall when I pull in the clutch.

I'm going to assume youve measured the float level so the bike doesn't run rich .

And that you've put in a NEW pilot jet .

And that you've gotten the same results in neutral,

And that you've checked the vacuum line to the petcock,

And tried riding it with the cap open on the tank.

And that you've set the idle to 1800 Rpm.

Ok now state what year the bike is .

Can you anticipate the stalling a certain area?

If so pull the choke right before that area to determine if fuel richness is a factor.

Also if you grab the clutch and come to a stop with rear tire skidding in dirt does it die?

Alot of questions I know and no coffee yet.

If you have the stock Petcock I would check the vacuum hose for cracks or leaks. If you haven't already you might want to buy a 30 dollar yamaha raptor on/off/reserve on. The stock one is known to fail and either leak gas and flood your motor or not let fuel flow to the carb.

Go through darrens list. Also if bike has a lot of miles could be stator issue you can read about it on thumpertalk.com.

03 drz E. No vac line to petcock. On off res. I cleaned tank and checked petcock already. Both are clear. I took carb off just to see if the bowl was dirty with crap. It was clean. Main jet was clean. AP was looking good.

Rose with out gas cap. Still happened. It always pops before she's gonna stall.

It doesn't have that much use on it. 

I didn't check float or change air pilot jet. Haven't pulling in the choke yet when I feel like it's gonna die. 

If I ride it on a loop. It stalls in te same spot. I'd coast down the hill 1/4 mile turn around ride up it and pops and stalls just before the top. Every time. With or with out gas cap. 

I think I answered everything. Thanks for helping. 

Oh ok . starting to sound like if you ride it up a hill 1/4 mile it then seems to starve for fuel (or pop).

We are getting closer.

If the float shuts off early it can starve carb about a quarter of a mile away

Or a float valve that's sticky will do the same.

There's a drain valve at the bottom of the carb.

Open it and catch all the fuel that comes out.

It shud keep flowing strong out of the drain for at least 60 seconds minimum.

Close drain after test.

If it doesn't  or dribbles out after 15 seconds then float is starving the carb.

Come out to sac& I will perform that test for you, courtesy.

A good mechanic to drop your bike off at is Thomas in ******.

Seems to be that way. But it's happened going downhill  and a slight sloped paved road. My carb doesn't have a drain screw. Just a hose. Sometimes after it stalls. It takes a few try's to get it started back up. Like there is no fuel. 

So here's today's update. I changed the plug. Rode it for 10 miles. Probly 5 loops up that hill trying to get it to stall at the top. Never did. Started doing larger loops. Never did it there. Rode a few miles up the street and I got it to act up. Never stalled. But it bogged and poped once but cleared it self out I guess. Did another large loop to the street and where I wanted to turn around I slammed on the brakes with clutch in and it died. But I feel like that was idle. Cause I did a 1st gear single track trail and a couple times when I pulled in the clutch at higher rpm the idle seemed low then. I'd say it's 90% better. I do feel like it's running a little rich. I have a 155 mj. Plug was a little black. I usually ride at sea level. But I'll be doing a lot of riding at 4000' this year. So I may order a 145 mj.  

I know it was mentioned above, but before you start chasing around a bunch of carb issues make sure you eliminate the stator.  The bolts holding the rotor to the flywheel tend to get loose.  Then they break off and start causing weird issues due to shorting out the stator.  I had it happen to me and took the carburetor apart about six times trying to figure out why the bike kept stalling out. 

If anyone needs it, I have a DRZ400 flywheel removal tool. 

Trogdorrrrr. I remember watching strong bad. Hah. I'll keep in mind the stator. My dad seems to be leaving towards that to. I'm gonna ride it later this after noon. 

I'll end up cleaning the carb. I noticed some frays in my throttle cable anyway. 

I too have the DRZ400 flywheel removal tool. I've had the opportunity to use it.... twice...

only at low revs?

check to make sure the splash gaurd is in your carb bowl .

Which carb are you running ?The model k3?That model has the deacceleration diaphram on the side (can get cracked or stiffen or plugged up).

the decomomp spring, on the cam, when almost chugging (like tough uphills) can lift the weighted lever early at low revs causing flameout.

In the green is the  (cantilever)I'm talking about.

slightly raising the idle is the bandaid, weakening the return spring is the mod.

Screenshot_2016-04-27-11-38-45.jpg

Fcr 39mm carb. I never removed anything from the carb. I checked the accelerator pump and coast enrichener when I had it open. It looked good. Not cracked. Yes CE is on the side. 

The issue today was wfo on the street slightly up hill.  At about 70. Other than that it ran Perdy normal. 

Stator or pilot jet is what my research tells me. 

So I'm gonna update this. Still having issues. I've just been changing my plug out and that for the most part fixes my issue. But only for about 50 miles in the dirt. Plug ends up black and sooty.  After researching some and learning what the needle does. I moved the clip from 4th to 5th. To lean it out. I don't think the 155 mj has anything to do with it. A lot of folks run a 160. So pulled the plug put in a clean one. Ran it up the street wot through the gears for about a mile and shut her down and coasted home. Pulled the plug. I'll post a picture. Cleaned the plug and put it back in ran it up the street again a few miles and then off road a few more miles to home. Pulled the plug. Still black with soot but bike ran much stronger and snappier. Felt nice. Noticed the difference as soon as I got on the throttle. Would like some feed back. Don't wanna damage her. Doesn't seem to lean?

First pic. Plug on left is 40 miles on it mostly single track. Plug on right is the run up the street wot and shut down. I touched it with my finger by accident and wiped off some buildup. 

Second pic. Left plug is same plug as above. 40 miles on it. Plug on the right is the longer ride 3 miles pavement a few off road. Still dark but better.. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I haven't been following this thread, but has the float been adjusted correctly?