SDDiver5

Single Track Etiquette and unspoken rules.

Being a new rider to single track, what are the general etiquette rules while riding? I've mainly done desert riding where its very easy to see someone coming and easy to avoid them.

I've been watching a lot of videos of single track riding and I've picked up a few things...like if you're a group leader and come across other riders you tell the other riders how many are in your group.

Are there ways to avoid a head on collision going around a blind turn?

What others single track rules should I know before I go other than the usual outdoor rules like clean up, don't trash the area, etc etc...

Thanks!

You pretty much got it let oncoming riders know how many in group with hand gesture or yelling and wait for your group at all intersections. To avoid collisions avoid corral canyon on a weekend.

I think there are a couple of posts here that address riding rules / etiquette / suggestions. Start here: http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15520-more-suggestions-for-informal-rides/ (From the Gospel according to Slut... Thanks be to the MC gods.)

Check the other pinned posts (at the top of each forum) in the "Informal Local Rides & Who's Going Riding" forum. I think there are a couple in there.

If you have a specific question, ask it. Everyone is happy to educate and better to know before you ride than learn the hard way on the trail!

The best (and really only smart) way to negotiate a blind turn is SLOWLY (and stay on the right side, just like on a road). My $0.02.

Thanks for the replies!

Funny you mention not going to corral on a weekend...heading there in sat morning.

One thing on ALL trails...there can always be oncoming traffic, so always think someone could be coming at you around every corner.

Stay to your side of trail...on singletrack, slow down a bit, try to look ahead thru bushes and around corners to see if u can spot oncoming traffic.

Thanks for the replies!

Funny you mention not going to corral on a weekend...heading there in sat morning.

Didnt mean dont go might have just said be careful only times ive ever had a head to head collision all 4 of them have been at corral canyon on a weekend, slower speed single track stuff like under 20mph but still happened. Like randy said try to look around corners and threw bushes but dont worry about it too much or let it effect your riding.

Thanks for the replies!

I enjoy Corral on weekends.

Get riding at dawn, leave the area by about 0930 maybe 10.

Thanks for the replies!

I enjoy Corral on weekends.

Get riding at dawn, leave the area by about 0930 maybe 10.

Avoid the droolers. As slut would say

If you do clang bars with someone it's nice for the other person if you stop and ask if they are OK.

If it's me your running into, prepare for a direct head on because I ain't having my leg ripped open by someones peg.

I normally launch into the bushes in the tight stuff.

On the weekends at Corral you'll more than likely head on with a XYZ or a Jeep. Last weekend sombody rolled a UTV thru a puddle going to fast.

If your bike has a headlight turn it on/use high beam. An oncoming headlight is usually the first thing that will catch your eye which will hopefully give you more time to slow down/maneuver out of the way. At least in my experience. Just a thought.

Man-o-man I just watched a video of trail collisions. In several of them one guy would bail to the right, and the oncoming guy would just follow him. Target fixation I think.

I wear hiviz always. I only ride weekdays. And I'm slow and old. Too old to fare well in a head-on.

The last head-on I had (@ corral naturally); got there at sun-up. No cars at the trailhead, none at the crossroads, none at 4 corners. Didn't hear a single bike all day. Getting more relaxed and had one small section left before I was gone...and I smashed head-on into a guy I actually know. Blind corner, faster than I should've been going, and a deep V trail...when we both slammed on the brakes, we both funneled right into each other. Keep speeds down (what's the fun in that?), even slower around blind corners (most of them @ Corral), stop, and listen a lot. Black diamond trails have a LOT less traffic. I've seen traffic on ranger once, 5 never, 3 once (jeeps), but Kernan almost every single time! Trail one before the granite usually also, and spur is another dicey one for traffic. Ride safe/have fun

Lots of near misses and two head-on collisions for me at CC. One was on Bobcat Meadows trail where a guy blew into a berm as fast as he could go as I entered the turn from the opposite direction. The other one happened on the perimeter road, not too far from Bobcat Meadows campground. Some guy came around the turn on the wrong (left) side of the road, even though there was nothing preventing him from using the his right side. Luckily, I haven't been hit in over ten years now.

Bags has a point, but time restrictions don't always allow me to drive that far. Corral is 15 minutes from my house

Bags has a point, but time restrictions don't always allow me to drive that far. Corral is 15 minutes from my house

I don't even like the desert as a first choice. I like single track the best.

You mean for hiking, right?

You mean for hiking, right?

pine valley cul de sac is 17 miles... I can be on dirt in less than a half an hour...

unless you're bustin my balls because I haven't been riding much lately... in which case

hardy har har

Do we need a Go Fund Me Page to fix the SlutBike?

What happened with his bike ? ( besides lack of maintenance).. Did he tear the front end off in That last meet up with the other rider?

I thought I saw his bike in a dirtbike fail compilation on you tube.

Thanks for the post everyone. I did end up doing corral canyon. Got there about 630 and was gone by 930. Lots of driving for only a few hours of riding but it was a blast.

On the way back into town I saw at least 30 trucks with bikes on them...assuming they went to Corral. Stoked I didn't have any head to head collisions!

Anyone want to let me in on what the slut bike is? Sounds awesome.

On the way back into town I saw at least 30 trucks with bikes on them...assuming they went to Corral. Stoked I didn't have any head to head collisions!

Could have been on their way to Pine Valley, McCain and especially 212land track.