ADV Bum

Hand Held Radio Class

Monthly "Communicator Gateway" Workshop 

Date: Saturday, November 11, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.  
Location: Scripps La Jolla Hospital Campus in San Diego (Schaetzel Center Building, next to the main hospital building, ground floor, in the Noble Room)
Parking: Park in underground parking or in the above-ground parking structure. (At the workshop, please ask for the parking validation procedure.) 

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Scripps+Memorial+Hospital+La+Jolla
(To help you locate the Workshop location on the hospital campus, attached to this email is a photo with the building marked. When you enter the building, look for people wearing yellow shirts.) 

ATTENTION people of all ages interested in Ham Radio (licensed, not licensed, or out of practice)!  

San Diego Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) will conduct another FREE monthly workshop to help participants "Get On The Air" (GOTA). Everyone is welcome regardless of club or organization affiliation! 

This two-hour workshop is intended for anyone getting started (or struggling) with a handheld "HT" radio. If you attended in the past, you are welcome to return for another workshop to hone your skills. If you have an earlier edition of the free workbook, please bring it with you to this workshop.  

The workshop starts with basics, such as how to turn on the radio, and then progresses to operating in simplex and repeater mode. This is a hands-on workshop in small groups led by Elmers (instructors), not a lecture. Participants receive a free workbook to guide their progress.

What to bring: 

1. A handheld radio, if you have one or can borrow one. Elmers will have a few loaners available. We recommend a dual band 2m/70cm (VHF/UHF) handheld transceiver (HT).

2. The operating manual for your radio. Please bring the entire manual - either paper copy or on a tablet.

3. A pen, and a few paper clips or stickies to tab pages in your operating manual during the workshop. 

4. If your HT is the Baofeng UV-5R (or other model Baofeng), please visit the web site www.miklor.com, print, and then bring to class copies of the documents: "On the Fly Keyboard Programming." 

This workshop follows the regularly-scheduled ARES meeting. 

If you plan to attend the workshop, please RSVP to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com so we know how many study guides to produce, or if you have a specific interest or question. When you RSVP, please tell us which radio you will bring, and please include your call sign (if you have a call sign). 

The most common radios (HTs) brought to this workshop are: Yaesu FT-60 and Baofeng UV-5R. Occasionally students bring the Yaesu FT-65, Yaesu FT-1, Yaesu FT-2, Wouxun, Kenwood, Icom, and Baofeng models other than the UV-5R. We teach each model radio in a different group and use your RSVP to arrange the workshop. 

Thank you. 

. . . Rob
K6RJF
Assistant Section Manager (Training) 

P.S. If you changed your call sign or email address, please send updated contact info to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com
To unsubscribe from monthly Communicator Gateway announcements, please reply to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com

NOW THIS is the class people need to operate their radios.

Thanks for getting the word out.

This is exactly what I need. I hardly use my HT and when I do I need to restudy the manual for AN HOUR to remember how to program/use it. I just emailed Rob to get on his mail list. Thanks for posting this up.

Thanks ADV BUM. Sounds wise to buy my first set-up before arrival to the workshop if possible.

For those of us ready to buy our first package of ...helmet speaker, mic, connectors, ptt, radio, antenna, mount..... (and also should consider that I hope to buy a 2nd helmet set-up to communicate with a passenger when on a bigger bike 2-up.....but not radio, bluetooth I think? so don't need to take into account, or do I?)

For those of you who have already bought.... returned, upgraded, cursed at, or praised a set-up, feel free to guide my shopping. For me, dependability over bargain. I looked at past thread posts and some rugged packages are no longer available, so thinking Ham Operator outlet or just wait for another rugged advertisement, or other.... Thanks.

Thanks ADV BUM. Sounds wise to buy my first set-up before arrival to the workshop if possible.

For those of us ready to buy our first package of ...helmet speaker, mic, connectors, ptt, radio, antenna, mount..... (and also should consider that I hope to buy a 2nd helmet set-up to communicate with a passenger when on a bigger bike 2-up.....but not radio, bluetooth I think? so don't need to take into account, or do I?)

For those of you who have already bought.... returned, upgraded, cursed at, or praised a set-up, feel free to guide my shopping. For me, dependability over bargain. I looked at past thread posts and some rugged packages are no longer available, so thinking Ham Operator outlet or just wait for another rugged advertisement, or other.... Thanks.

I'm in the same boat. What's a common set up used on this site?

I'm in the same boat. What's a common set up used on this site?

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20313-rugged-radios-20-storewide-sale/#entry210446

Next workshop is 5/14.  I plan to attend.

---------

PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY

Date: Saturday, May 14, 2016, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.  
Location: Scripps La Jolla Hospital Campus in San Diego (Schaetzel Center, next to main hospital building)
Parking: Park in underground parking or in the above-ground parking structure. (At the workshop, please ask for the parking validation procedure.) 

ATTENTION people of all ages interested in Ham Radio (licensed, not licensed, or out of practice)!  

San Diego Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) will conduct another FREE monthly workshop to help participants "Get On The Air." Everyone is welcome regardless of club or organization affiliation! 

This two-hour workshop is intended for anyone getting started (or struggling) with a handheld "HT" radio. If you attended in the past, you are welcome to return for another workshop to hone your skills. If you have an earlier edition of the free workbook, please bring it with you to this workshop.  

The workshop starts with basics such as how to turn on the radio and then progresses to operating in simplex and repeater mode. This is a hands-on workshop in small groups led by Elmers (instructors), not a lecture. Participants receive a free workbook to guide their progress.

What to bring: 

1. A handheld radio, if you have one or can borrow one. Elmers will have a few loaners available. We recommend a 2m/70cm (VHF/UHF) handheld transceiver (HT).

2. The operating manual for your radio. Please bring the entire manual - either paper copy or on a tablet.

3. A pen, and a few paper clips or stickies to tab pages in your operating manual during the workshop. 

4. If your HT is the Baofeng UV-5R (or other model Baofeng), please visit the web sitewww.miklor.com, print, and then bring to class copies of the documents: "On the Fly Keyboard Programming," "Keypad Layout and Functions," and "Reference and FAQ Page." These documents are much better than the manual that comes with the radio.

If you plan to attend the workshop, please RSVP to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com so we know how many study guides to produce, or if you have a specific interest or question. When you RSVP, please tell us which radio you will bring, and please include your call sign (if you have a call sign). 

Thank you. 

. . . Rob
K6RJF
ARES Training Coordinator

Does anyone know if there is going to be one of these classes in July.  I've got my set up and want to learn how to use it.

Thanks!

Anyone know if there are any scheduled classes coming up?

Updated.

8 hours ago, 97xr400r said:

Anyone know if there are any scheduled classes coming up?

Thanks for the update Mr. Bum! Btw your old 450 fanny bag is still going strong.

This was a great way to be around helpful experienced hams. Thanks for posting!

Date: Saturday, August 12, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Date: Saturday, September 9, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.  
Location: Scripps La Jolla Hospital Campus in San Diego (Schaetzel Center Building, next to the main hospital building, ground floor, in the Noble Room)

(To help you locate the Workshop location on the hospital campus, attached to this email is a photo with the building marked. When you enter the building, look for people wearing yellow shirts.) 

San Diego Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) will conduct another FREE monthly workshop to help participants "Get On The Air" (GOTA). Everyone is welcome regardless of club or organization affiliation! 

The workshop starts with basics, such as how to turn on the radio, and then progresses to operating in simplex and repeater mode. This is a hands-on workshop in small groups led by Elmers (instructors), not a lecture. Participants receive a free workbook to guide their progress.

What to bring: 

1. A handheld radio, if you have one or can borrow one. Elmers will have a few loaners available. We recommend a 2m/70cm (VHF/UHF) handheld transceiver (HT).

4. If your HT is the Baofeng UV-5R (or other model Baofeng), please visit the web site www.miklor.com, print, and then bring to class copies of the documents: "On the Fly Keyboard Programming," "Keypad Layout and Functions," and "Reference and FAQ Page." These documents are much better than the manual that comes with the radio.

If you plan to attend the workshop, please RSVP to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com so we know how many study guides to produce, or if you have a specific interest or question. When you RSVP, please tell us which radio you will bring, and please include your call sign (if you have a call sign). 

The most common radios (HTs) brought to this workshop are: Yaesu FT-60 and Baofeng UV-5R. Occasionally students bring Yaesu FT-65, Yaesu FT-1, Yaesu FT-2, Wouxun, Kenwood, and Baofeng models other than the UV-5R. We teach each model radio in a different group

Next one is April 13th- thinking about going, could enjoy some SDAR company....