Ken S

Riders Down D-38 race 4-9-16

Im at the hospital in El Centro with Meatmord.

He went down on the first lap. Probable broken collar bone.

As the ambulance was taking Corey Reach Air was flying out a 16 year old.

We heard from the ambulance driver that another racer crashed and died.

I think I'm done with this Desert racing stuff before I'm hurt bad.

Wishing Meatmord and all the other racers the best. I pray the loss of life is unfounded.

Wishing Meatmord and all the other racers the best. I pray the loss of life is unfounded.

+1

Wow sorry to hear man seems like everyone on sdar is getting hurt lately.

Hope for a quick recovery.

Sounds like another busy LESAR weekend.

Nothing on the D38 forum about the race.

Corey is OK. Confirmed broken collarbone and is enjoying some meds. He is responding to email with a sense of humor.

Man sorry to hear that. Mama always said riding motorcycles was too dangerous. Broken collar bones aren't that bad though. Hope Corey gets well soon.

Thanks you guys. I'm doing great. Tremendous gratitude to Kenny for collecting my property and hanging all day to make sure I got home. Wait till you see the go-pro footage. it looks like i just went over a whoop, fell, and then moan in the dirt for five minutes. not impressive. anyways....brrraaap.

Scott P was not so lucky.

He was a Father and a Husband.

And a very experienced Desert racer.

It's the risk we take to do what we love.

2nd friend I've lost in the desert in the last year.

I'm done with Desert racing for a while.

Terrible news. That's a tough year for D-38 riders. Glad to hear Meatmord isn't too bad off! Get well/back in the saddle soon...

Scott P was not so lucky.

He was a Father and a Husband.

And a very experienced Desert racer.

It's the risk we take to do what we love.

2nd friend I've lost in the desert in the last year.

I'm done with Desert racing for a while.

I was in the pits with some some friends when he went down. His wife and daughter were there at the race, pitted next to us.. This is a real heart breaker.

I looked for you Ken, missed you again. Just not familiar with your rig, sorry.

post-15028-0-34140600-1460257083_thumb.j

Prayers for Scott's family... Made for a bummer end to the day.

Mord... Glad to hear you're doing ok. Heal quickly!

I went down early on too. Got the wind knocked out of me good, but recovered and was able to get three laps in. (2.5 semi-painful laps!) Courtney finished three laps with no problems. Steve's shock blew on his second lap.

Safe rides brothers and sisters!

Man that was a helluva course. It was right at the start someone was down where the bomb funnels into the trail at the 3rd row start. My wife said they were being treated for 20+ minutes before they moved them. 4 row start was diverted. Than I stopped for a girl who said her throttle stuck WFO and threw her, luckily she was with a fellow rider who phoned back quickly. Stopped to get the ok from a handful of other riders throughout the day.

I was there shortly after scott went down, was one of several that went racing for the next check point to relay the message. I had no idea the extent until I got home. Our family has the Plunketts in our prayers.

Ken S - I too am rethinking some of my racing plans. Something like this really hits home. I actually called it quits after that lap. I had more than a few close calls, and stopping to check on those couple riders made me think I better pull out while Im ahead.

I was seriously considering D-38, but then I remembered that once the red mist decends, reason takes a back seat to perceived glory... At least that's been my experience with racing. I push way too hard without the added incentive of a trophy at the end. I hope everyone injured gets better soon, and RIP/condolances to the rider and family.

Sorry to hear about all of this, hope u heal quickly. and Condolences to the family and friends of another passed rider.

I roadraced for a couple years, and while it was one of the most exhilirating and awesome adrenalin rushes around, I saw people die and get paralyzed while racing at just a club level...I realized I wanted to experience a lot more than racing by going riding to see more places with less risk...so I got out of it and pursued dualsport and Adventure Riding....just my 2 cents.

Condolences to the loved riders lost& thier families.

I'm glad to see that you guys let it rip in the appropriate place (dez race).

I got out of it and do enjoy tooling around in the forest and enjoying the views .

After my huge crash I realized I just wanna ride and be on two wheels.

No pressure, just fun.

racing is still safer than 99% of "regular" riding---if you keep it under control as you do when trail riding out at Corral for example. Accidents happen everyday with our motorized society, we all still drive everyday. The only pressure in ammie racing is created inside us. I support racing, however I stay in the envelope, none of us are ever going to be "really" fast anyway, enjoy the ride and challenge to finish. Support the race promoters get out and ride the courses, get yourself and your machine to the finish. You will be really surprised if you use racecraft and get yourself to the finish you can be very surprised what happens*.

Racing(Riding a closed course) Everyone going the same direction, ambulance on site along with chase riders for assistance=safe. Stay away from others as much as possible and ride your ride.

* I have many very good and even surprising finishes in fairly hardcore races, by simply worrying only about me my machine and getting to the finish, never giving up as long as the bike goes and being smart with what the body tells you. Local Nat H&H out in the D38 zone it was a hot day...I got too hot and sat in the shade for probably 20 mins maybe more until I was OK and I finished the event to keep my Nat H&H finish rate at 100% fastest in class no way---beat faster guys yes many times just by finishing---safely. Keep supporting the promoters and get out and accept the challenge. If I get killed in race DO NOT USE it as a reason to stop racing or riding.

PS choose your races wisely and what's comfortable--- Nats are the most challenging and keep the overall speeds lower due to harder terrain, enduros are usually tighter and slower. Also and this is me only I try not to race open course events example. score races on a bike nope, risk factor too high. That's my tuppence. sign up and enjoy the ride on a marked controlled course.

when you finish a tough/prestigious event its bench racing heaven anyway- to finish first first you must finish. I have many examples, and the 2014 Tecate enduro is one, in my crew I'm in the 50% fast range, we have at least 4 guys that blow my doors off(thay all DNFd), however I was the only one that finished the event---Racecraft sprinkled with a little luck. Get to the finish-I even beat ZipTy he even DNF'd.

Be safe, use racecraft to mitigate the risk just like we do driving to work everyday. Support the sport, even do goofy stuff like sign up for race with your 85% street KLR and ride the course to the finish, just by finishing you'll beat folks and get some serious "street cred" !! Early 2000s a group of Trials guys raced/rode the Tecate HS on trials bikes all wearing Hawaiian shirts, standing for @ 3 hours!!! They got huge props and were all the talk of the event even though it was a time when there were about a dozen top tier international pros racing--all the talk was the about the trial guys. I cant speak for the lost racer but I bet he would he would say DO NOT QUIT because Im gone, my condolences and deep feelings for his family. that's my 3 pence see 2 pence above. Race fan for life seen lots of bad/sad in motosports and shed tears, but its so fun and glorious way more than the bad/sad side its a passion sport for sure.

Well said Robertaccio... (All three pence.) Thanks!

Very well said, Robert. I don't consider myself a "racer" but I do enjoy riding/racing in closed course events. Friends ask me "are you racing this weekend?" My reply is "well, I'm paying a club $40 to follow course markings". During Saturday's race I stopped a couple of times before tackling a rough section, drank some water, let a few guys pass me then I got back on and finished my race.

If I get killed in race DO NOT USE it as a reason to stop racing or riding.

Scott P. graduated from my local high school in my sister's class a year before I did. I didn't know him personally, but when your graduating class from a town of 4,000 has about 90 students and all there is to do out here is ride desert and goof off out on country roads you get to know everybody in town real quick. We also had mutual friends because of riding/racing. One of his good friends is a good family friend that we camp with several times during desert season. A few weeks ago another one of my sisters classmates (Carl P.), his wife and 2 yr old daughter passed away in a very tragic car accident. My deepest condolences to both of their families. Scott and Carl left a void that will probably never be filled.

I agree with you Robert, I don't want anyone to stop riding/racing/driving if something were to happen to me...I will keep on doing what I've always done because that is what Scott and Carl would want.