amgems

Push to Talk ?'s

Should I stay away from the Velcro mounted ptt switches, and go with a bracket mounted type?

I'm not sure that the bracket mounted types I've seen will work on my bars. I suppose I could bend and / or customize a bit.

How about using the "clipped on the rider" type, do-able? or is that a stupid question?

Recommendations?

Pictures of your set up?

This one looked like it might work if I modify the connector. Not sure how easy it would be to switch over to the Rugged Radio "Nexus Style" connector.

http://www.airrider.com/AIR_RIDER_HANDLEBAR_MOUNT_PUSH_TO_TALK_1_FT_p/03-04-58.htm

edit...

Of course...right after I posted I found this: http://www.sampsonracing.com/Off-Road-Handlebar-Mount-PTT-p/ptt-mc-bm.htm

I got the velcro one with mine and very bulky had to put it on left side inside of switches and perch and is too far away to reach whole holding onto bars, didn't think the metal bracket one was worth the $70 so I just removed velcro and used 3m tape to install on top of switch gear. The lobster baja ride couple weeks ago all 3 other guys had metal bracket one and worked very well and I think CID had one that clamped to his clutch lever that looked pretty trick

I have 2 Velcro PTT switches.

One I put one the handle bars and the other I put on my chest radio harness.

This way when I leave the bike I can unplug from the bike and then plug in to the PTT on my chest and I don't have to take my helmet off.

Very helpful when helping down riders pick up their bike and staying on comms and being able to talk.

But, you're on a KTM... so you should get a custom aluminium bracket milled out of a solid 25 lb block... :-)

or a Crawadaddy hardwired to the flash to pass...

PTT are also known as PITA.

They fail often enough I have two installed on the 500. Bracket mounts differ, and it appears Rugged Radios has simply given up trying to produce anything but the velcro mounts.

I understand why- there are simply too many variables. My current favorite is a lever mount I made from the HighwayDirtBikes.com lever mount switch, soldered to a NEXUS jack from an aviation supply place. *** skygeek.com

X1_01.jpg

But, you're on a KTM... so you should get a custom aluminium bracket milled out of a solid 25 lb block... :-)

Oh that's right...I forgot about the KBRC (KTM Billet Requirements Clause) that states, "All unnecessary extra crap that is bolted to the KTM shall be fabricated exclusively from billet and anodized orange". Thanks for the reminder. Whew.

Thanks guys !

Amgems

Good find. I just created and account and will wait for the discount opportunity to arrive. I am currently using the plastic ring PTT and it has been 100% reliable. The way I walk away from the bike without un-plugging, there will be a day when a replacement will be required. These parts look identical to the Rugged Radio pieces.

Bags

Just make a longer bracket and use the clutch perch bolt. Sorry at work so no pics.

tomh,

Longer bracket attached to which switch??

The Sampson Racing billet mount is unavailable. They sent me an email, said they don't carry it anymore. Bummer, because it was a nice design. I ended up switching my order to their perch mount. I'll have to make it work on the KTM. I explained to the guy that the perch bolts come in from the top on the KTM's. Maybe they will design and build a special unit just for me and give it to me for free.....nah.

I'm running a SENA SMH10/SR10 setup and use the SENA PTT which is a switch with a "rubber band" type assy that's integral to the rubberized housing of the switch. I mount it on my left mirror stalk and can hit it with my thumb no problem. Should be able to adapt something similar to the regular PTTs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTEGGJS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00DXZSIZS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1E8KEY044597BHK4G7RB

11021045_10206382613830314_5061785534326