KTMrad

My Round the World Adventure Sidehack Project

So, many of you know I'm planning a round the world trip with my BMW 1150GS with sidehack built for our Mascot, "Doc Holliday" who will travel with me. I hope to leave sometime in June and be gone for a few years.

This sidecar project is a huge undertaking to have one built right, heavy duty enough to travel long distance and also off-road. I'm having Chris Canterbury at Boxer Metal in Chico, CA build the rig. He's been on the Discovery Channel and also on some other TV shows regarding custom projects, he is quite the craftsman. Here is a list of accessories and major changes to the bike:

• High Quality Winch, able to change easily from forward direction to rear direction, using 2" hitch receiver front and rear..
  • A way to raise and lower sidecar height for off-camber trails and roads, using a linear electric actuator.
  • Possible fender rack.
  • Piaa driving lights and off-road lights on the sidecar
  • Heated pad in the sidecar for dog
  • BMW power outlet and cigarette lighter outlet on bike
  • Power outlet on bike for heated riding gear.
  • USB ports and cigarette lighter plug in the sidecar
  • Interior light in sidecar, switchable from my handlebars.
  • Plugs in bottom of sidecar, to be able to wash it out and water to drain out...2 plugs
  • Side door, Canopy (hard or soft), zippered windows for both sides using YKK Zippers.Some type of web netting on both sides, attached to canopy/windows.
  • Slightly tinted windshield instead of clear, Want the dog to be able to see thru, but tinted to help keep sun off him.
  • Place to carry spare gas, plastic Rotopax cans
  • Tie-down points inside the sidecar to tie-up the dog.
  • A small glove compartment in sidecar, on side wall or top of body, below windshield
  • Possible ventilation fan in sidecar for dog.
  • Large Zarges aluminum cases to carry stuff on back of sidecar
  • Leading link front end, with subframe, 15" wheels, etc. (from Holland)
  • New Touratech shock for GS, and taller shock for sidecar
  • Heavy duty skidplate covering entire bottom of sidecar rig
  • Front bar on sidecar to mount lights on
  • Paint the sidecar to match the yellow GS color.
  • A really good, loud horn mounted on sidecar.
  • Jesse Luggage for bike
  • Custom pinstripe lettering on sidecar
  • Door that folds down to let Doc walk into sidecar, only if the subframe/fender aren't in the way. If it can't fold down, must have a door that opens, has a latch, etc.
There is probably even more that I haven't listed....no real good pix yet because it's "under construction".

Here's a couple photos of what a similar rig looks like, from Kuhjunge who is in South America with his dog, been going around the world for last few years.

©20140914_167-X2.jpg

IMG_0767-X2.jpg

Can't wait to see the finished product and track your ride reports and pics going forward! :thumbsup_anim:

I'm happy for you, Randy...and not just a little envious!

We'll all be following your progress and standing by in case you need SD support while you're on the road.

Do you have a tentative route map of your likely travels?

Looks like awesome stuff, that sounds like a big undertaking best of wishes.

just curious is the electrical system on bike, stator and battery capable of handling all that seems like a huge load.

The BMW 1150 has one of the most robust alternators out there, yes the loads will be fine.

Dan, while there are many primary overland routes to take thru certain countries, there are many options to explore.

My first year will be 4 corners of USA, first north thru British Columbia, Alaska, across Canada, parts of northern states, friends in Wisconsin, Buffalo, NY, eastern Canada, Maine south to NY to see friends and family, then south, more friends down east coast, Daytona Bike Week, Key West, then across the south back to San Diego before heading to Baja and across to Central America, South America....that will be a couple years...we'll see what after that.

One goal will be to try to see a bunch of UNESCO World Heritage Sites...there are over a thousand on the list.Also, to ride some of the world's most dangerous roads, and also the best rated roads and "must do" roads in the world.

I'm going to get Doc Holliday certified as a therapy dog, so plan on visiting nursing homes, kids homes, hospitals, etc. while traveling.

Did you ask Doc if he wants to go?

That all sounds really awesome Randy, what a cool adventure.

Wow, just the USA part of that route is amazing. I'm looking forward to following this one for sure!

Some pix from when I dropped the GS off at Boxer Metal in Chico CA, right before Christmas....I had a nice Christmas winter trip with Doc up to the Sierra while I was at it....

Chris's shop....

20151214_142819-XL.jpg

20151214_142827-XL.jpg

20151214_175802-XL.jpg

20151214_180044-XL.jpg

Chris Canterbury of Boxer Metal and me, having a beer to celebrate the commissioning of the sidecar project.

20151214_180327-1-XL.jpg

20151214_183034-XL.jpg

Chris's sidecar rig above, and some of the other rigs he's building.......

20151214_145845-XL.jpg

20151214_145826-XL.jpg

Doc Holliday having fun on our trip....

20151214_095031-XL.jpg

Of course I couldn't pass up this Brewery....mmmm, yummy.

20151214_121706-XL.jpg

20151214_122742-XL.jpg

20151214_123257-XL.jpg

Just a few more pix from the trip, after dropping off the GS at Boxer Metal.....

Doc's first time in the snow....he went nuts, here he's airborne...

20151216_145537-1-XL.jpg

20151216_150058-XL.jpg

Monument at Donner State Park...then I watched the Donner Party documentary in a motel room a couple nights later....

20151216_161217-1-XL.jpg

20151216_161319-XL.jpg

Convict Lake...

20151217_163410-XL.jpg

Up above Bishop, in Buttermilk Country....we did some snow hiking.

20151218_154905-XL.jpg

20151219_142646-XL.jpg

Alabama Hills...

20151220_112355-XL.jpg

20160307_152637-XL.jpg

Some pix of Jesse Luggage racks, other mods, and the Leading Link front end.

20160307_152644-XL.jpg

20160307_152706-XL.jpg

All I can say is dude! I wish i could take 5 and be gone, I cannot wait to see your bike when it is done, I could tell by what he has done to other bike setups, he is the best in the business.

Randy why did you choose the BMW as your RTW rig?

Two reasons, really: Charley and Ewen!

Sorry, couldn't help it... :)

Randy why did you choose the BMW as your RTW rig?

Two reasons, really: Charley and Ewen!

Dan, those guys and that movie had nothing to do with my decision, I haven't seen their movie either.

My 2003 1150GS Sport Model with 9500 miles and in showroom condition is basically a new bike, has a lower first gear, has no ABS, no Canbus wiring, a hefty alternator, minimal electronics, fairly easy to work on, valve adjustments are so simple, motor easily goes over 100,000 miles. The 1150's and other Beemers are used by many travelers, so parts may be a bit more available. Many people use GS's for sidecar rigs.

I wanted minimal electronics, easy to work on, engine longevity and shaft drive.

Other options for sidecar bike were Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, but didn't like the non-switchable ABS on older model and newer model has too much electronics.

Older Airhead BMW GS was an option, but have less power and weak electrical systems.

Single cylinder motorcycles didn't interest me, even if I wasn't going with a sidecar.

:ohno02::ohno02:

20160307_152637-XL.jpg

Some pix of Jesse Luggage racks, other mods, and the Leading Link front end.

20160307_152644-XL.jpg

20160307_152706-XL.jpg

I was going to mention that I have an extra set of stock wheels for the GS, but after seeing these mods..... Wow!

S

Updated pic, should be ready sometime in July...

FB_IMG_1465267473644.jpg

Too cool, Randy. Looks really good. Specs? Special builds?