jawhitmoyer

Day ride out of Tecate on Saturday

I am going to ride down to Ramonas on Saturday if anyone wants to come. With the rain and even snow at the higher elevations, it should be a nice day. Cross the border at 8:00am, with a plan to be back across before dark.

Nice. I'm in the market for a 500.

I love mine. I may know a guy with a 2015 for sale with less than 20 hours. PM me with your budget.

How much pavement are you thinking? I have been pavement to Compadre etc and then down to Ramonas. I would like to see more dirt nothing to radical but interested in more dirt less pavement.

Well, you have to ride a little pavement to he through Tecate. That said, I have route south that gets onto the dirt about 5 miles down. From there NO pavement, unless we run short of daylight and need to slab it back from the north end of Compadre.

We will take a series of dirt roads to get to RSV, then down Compadre to the river bed. Turn left for some delicious trails into the Pines toward Laguna Hanson. After burritos and beer we'll take a series of trails and roads northwest, back to the Compadre just south of RSV. From there we can take the way we came in.

I am riding my 250 if that gives you an idea of the kind of stuff we will be doing. That said, my 500 is also perfect. I just can't resist riding my two smoker through town. ;-)

What is the difficulty level of this ride? I have been down compadre to Mike's before.

It's pretty easy. There is a short section of sandy whoops and some sections with loose baseball-sized rocks, but your XR will rip through it.

Jim, I can't make this ride, I have a mid afternoon commitment, but I'll be doing the D38 race instead.

Tonight I'll email you some killer two track and single track we hit a few weeks ago.

Sorry I'm out on this one. Some family events came up. Catch ya next time and ride safe!

Well, it looks like I am going solo. If anyone does decide to join me, I will be arriving at the parking lot Tecate behind the gas station around 7.45am. I get ready pretty quickly, so KSU @ 8.00am. I'll be the guy in the silver F150 with a KTM in the back.

Well, you all missed an epic day. I have perfected my route from Tecate into the good riding, including some cool single track. I found a cool way into Ramonas that comes in from the east. There was no dust, no traffic, and only two groups of riders all

I did around 160 miles. I had a couple of burritos and a beer. No spills, although I did bash my hand into a tree branch. No mechanical issues. What else can I say, but a perfectly glorious day!!!

Sounds pretty cool. Do you ride your bike across the border? If so, does that help speed up the crossing?

Oh man! I wish I went with you! When did you get back across the border?

Always! I cut the line and crossed in less than two minutes. And that was on my two stroke. The border guards don't care about emissions,etc.

Sometimes there's a cop sitting right at the exit, so I push my bike up the street far enough to see if he's there. Worst case I would have to push it about 100 yards, but I haven't had to yet. Just keep it off the pipe and ride to the truck.

That looks more like a freedom trail. When are you planning your next trip?

Hey Jim,

Looks like a great quick ride. Getting cortisone shots and hoping to avoid the knee surgery. If I get green Light next week, will be ready to to get in the bike ASAP.

@coop, I am down in San Quintin with my brother. We just spent two days riding out of Catavina, and tomorrow we're gonna explore south of El Rosario. Not sure what we'll do on Sunday.

@scott, keep me posted. We rode some brutal stuff today that'd killed your knees. I can say for the first ever after a ride that I am beat!!! But it was epic. We did the Malcolm trail both ways, found another rock garden, and then rode the road out from where the old guy said we shouldn't go...we did and it kicked our butts, but in a good way.