ADV Bum

Corral Canyon Maintenance and Ride Weekend 4-30

Richard Tull, Cleveland Nat'L Forest Rep for the area, said after the rains a lot of trails need pruning...that will be our primary goal.

Pruning the brush in corners helps improve sight lines to help see oncoming vehicles.

Whether you come out for day or for weekend, bring your bikes if u want to ride.

I'll lead a ride around the perimeter loop and more, later Saturday afternoon.

Corral has great trails !

Yes, let's ride. I will be leading a night ride on Saturday. Need to check out my new NiteRider light I picked up at the last meeting at Moto Forza. It will probably be a short one as I'm sure we will be tired from the trail work and day riding but plan to hit some of the easier/intermediate trails and then return to camp for bench racing around the camp fire.

I got a new light for my bike also.

Led. I think it's forba mountain bike but is super bright so I mounted the clamp on my bar .

We will see , or not see too good . depending how well my redneck set up works.

Looks like I'll be in Idaho this weekend now. Out. See you at the next one!

Idaho, Till she left me.

Have fun in Idaho bulldow. We will keep you post with pics and videos.stay tuned.

Anyone know if they are allowing camp fires at corral?

I hope so but we will have to wait and see. I don't think there are any restrictions at this time but it could change at any time.

It's supposed to rain next week so that should be good. Not sure I can even camp out but maybe still stick around and make a fire and have some beers.

what time are we meeting and where? I assume saturday and sunday? or is friday open to grab campsites?

I'm thinking we should plan on meeting at 8 am and get started ASAP before it gets hot. Yes, Saturday and Sunday we will be doing trail work. I don't know if there is a preferred campground and don't think it matters. We will post a sign at Four Corners directing folks to the camp. I plan to be out there on Friday midday or afternoon to get one of the group spots if I can.

New Volunteer agreement for SDAR signed with Richard Tull. I was informed by the front desk that if volunteers park at 4 corners no "Adventure Pass" is needed. However if you park at the campgrounds, a pass is needed.

I am planning on getting out there Fri as well. I will be out there most of the weekend. I will be bringing a bbq. If people want to bring out food, maybe we can do a pot luck or something on Sat night. Any ideas on food/ social gathering sat night throw them out there.

Bump.  Reminding everyone this weekend is trail work at Corral.  Let's do this!  :)

Still planning on coming out. I saw someone asked about bringing tools....did anyone ever figure out if we needed to bring any/what to bring?

I'd love to camp the night but need to be home at some point in the afternoon.

You can bring a pair of loppers if you have them.  Everyone does not need to have loppers.  Someone needs to be clearing the cut brush off the trail while someone else is doing the cutting.  Teams of two people cutting and one clearing works good.  You can switch off between cutting and clearing for a little variety if you want.  The cut brush needs to be stuffed off the sides of the trails in openings between the brush and to block off unwanted openings to possible side trails that are not approved.

We will mainly be cutting the brush back along the sides of the trails.  I think we should focus on Ranger trail 912 because that is our adopted single track trail and needs a lot of trimming.  Some areas are worse than others.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll get out there around 730 sat morning ready to work!

How about we meet a 4 corners at 8:30 leaving at 9:00. I doubt it will be hot, but it would still be better to get out and done before other riders get out there. Not everyone should be trimming at one time. We should have people visible on the trail to warn riders that work is being done ahead. 

That sounds good Bum.  If anyone wants to start earlier then go for it.  Some of us will be camping at one of the campgrounds, probably Bobcat, so feel free to come there after working.  I suggest working until noon or 1 pm and then we will ride.  Of course you can work as long as you want.

Safety is always the #1 priority so be careful out there and work in teams of 2 to 4 people if possible.  Shout out a warning when riders are approaching so all team members can get out of the way.  It's best not to wear ear plugs/buds/phones so you can hear what is going on around you.  Try to keep the trail as clear as possible because there will be other people riding while we work.

For single track trails trim the brush back to arms outstretched width except at trail entrances and crossings.  Leave those areas narrower to prevent quads and jeeps from entering unless blocked by delimiters restricting vehicles to motorcycles.  Also focus on trimming the insides of turns to open up sight distances down the trail.  When you trim cut back as far as you can; to ground level or back to main trunks.  Cut square with the stalk so as not to leave sharp points.

Sounds good. For the record, my name is Drew. White F-150 with a shell. DRZ 400 on a Joe Hauler.

See you guys sat.

On 4/19/2016 at 0:23 PM, Spaugh said:

i checked last week and campfires were allowed for cleveland might wanna double check day before going out.

someone needs to have a campfire permit for every fire going on i have been checked and you will be checked for a shovel and a bucket of water. permit also applies to anyone with a gas stove or gill FYI.

http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

i checked last week and campfires were allowed for cleveland might wanna double check day before going out.

someone needs to have a campfire permit for every fire going on i have been checked and you will be checked for a shovel and a bucket of water. permit also applies to anyone with a gas stove or gill FYI.

http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/

No fire permit needed for designated fire rings in the campgrounds.  Adventure Pass is required in the campgrounds but not at 4 Corners parking area.

Nevermind. As it turns out, i can't make it out this weekend.