Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Overnight bike camping trip

I've wanted to do a camping trip with the dual sport for quite a while, so I quit making excuses and just did it. Got a rack from Nomadic Racks in Santee and borrowed a bag, put some backpacking gear in and headed out Friday with my buddy Justin.

25066658341_cbaea95f51_z.jpg2016-02-20_06-54-22 by tntmo2, on Flickr

We headed up Wildcat Canyon, through Ramona and then on Black Canyon Rd.

25066664171_9b7ebb2ee7_k.jpg2016-02-20_06-54-49 by tntmo2, on Flickr

Followed on to Mesa Grande, into Warner Springs and onto Lost Valley. We set up camp in the dark at Indian Flats. We scrounged some firewood, ate MRE's and passed out. Woke up to frost on the tents, it got a bit chilly.

24529247794_f6fb791397_z.jpg2016-02-20_06-55-04 by tntmo2, on Flickr

After breaking camp we followed some trails up to Anza, gas and food, then we took the route up Thomas Mountain. Beautiful day. A little snow was still on the trail.

25066671541_ea41f28be3_z.jpg2016-02-20_06-55-18 by tntmo2, on Flickr

We decided to head up to Idyllwild. Caught one of the trails there and connected to Bee Canyon. Rode into Hemet, jumped on Sage Rd, hwy 79 and all pavement home.

Great weekend ride, good weather and no crashes or mechanical issues. Lots of side trails we want to go explore next time. See you on the trail.

Looks like fun trip glad you got out and bag looks like it worked out

Watch out motocamping is addicting

Looks like we have to do a SDAR Group camp out one week end. I did the same route solo some months ago on my GS1150. Nice Big bike possible rout.

I guess I did have one minor issue, my phone charging cable wasn't working so I didn't take many pictures. I downloaded a GPS app called OsmAnd+ to track my route. It worked ok but I forgot I had left it on and used my phone battery down to 10%. I shut off the phone to save for emergencies. Next time I'll bring an extra cable.

Almost all of the route was big bike capable. I was thinking of taking my Tiger, it would have been ok most places with a good rider....I would have been uncomfortable in the difficult areas but could make it slowly. A more capable rider or less of a pig-bike would be better.

Nice, lotsa miles and fun.

Sidenote I notice the dr on kickstand leaning towards and close to the tent.. once my own bike fell over during the night, not on me, due to moisture (i think?) and ever since I always make sure it leans away from tent..

Thanks for write-up tom

Cool, a nice trip. I'm working on acquiring some camping gear and getting back into it after some 40ish years. Indian flats was one of my favorite spots when camping off the bike. But I do remember, no matter what time of year, it was always really cold at night. A good test for your gear. What tents and bags were you guys using?

Cool, a nice trip. I'm working on acquiring some camping gear and getting back into it after some 40ish years. Indian flats was one of my favorite spots when camping off the bike. But I do remember, no matter what time of year, it was always really cold at night. A good test for your gear. What tents and bags were you guys using?

I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 tent, Hi-Tec Elevation bag w/bag liner and a Thermarest pad. We got all of our backpacking gear at the REI parking lot sale a few years ago. The sleeping bag takes up more room than I'd like, it was cheap but works good. Hiking and motorcycling are similar, lighter = more expensive.

Justin has a Marmot tent and the same bag, also from REI sale.

I wasn't cold at night, so the gear worked.

Sidenote I notice the dr on kickstand leaning towards and close to the tent.. once my own bike fell over during the night, not on me, due to moisture (i think?) and ever since I always make sure it leans away from tent..

Thanks for write-up tom

I didn't even think of that, but that would be a hell of a way to wake up!

Thanks for write-up tom

i think you were walking around drunk and took a pee break and knocked it over then only noticed it when you woke up in the morning, thats my guess!!

Thanks for sharing the route and photos. I'll have to set aside a Friday and Saturday for a campout shortly. I have not taken Black Canyon all the way north yet. Lost Valley Rd and Indian Flat are also on the to-do list.