Bluhdow

KTM vs. DRZ + YZ

To start, I've been very happy with my DRZ. Not once have I been too good of a rider for the bike, and I've never been the slow man in the group because of my bike. That said, at least once a day I think about upgrading to a fancy bazillion-dollar KTM.

On top of that, I ride non-plated areas somewhat regularly. I like going to tracks and riding straight OHV areas.

So I think I can go one of two directions:

1. Keep my DRZ, which I'm happy with, and add a YZ250 (2-stroke) to the garage for under $2k.

2. Sell the DRZ, forget the YZ, and just pony up for a used KTM 450 or 500.

The questions I run into are:

1. Will riding a YZ250 between DS rides make me hate my DRZ?

2. Will a KTM be light and fun enough at the track?

3. Is the maintenance and cost of a KTM going to exceed that of a DRZ + YZ combo?

I ride the DRZ around town sometimes, so it's nice that it does okay on the street. That said, I live in Encinitas so it's not like I slab anywhere. I finally broke down and bought a truck to solve that problem.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

I believe Meatmord can answer this as he went the 2 stroke route. Bottom line is getting a 2 stroke that isn't plated will leave you the worst of both worlds. Your drz will languish in the garage, but you won't be able to take the bike you really want to ride on the plated rides you want to go on.

Either find a higher-performance plated 4 stroke, or AZ plate a 2 stroke. No other options, imo.

My experience with KTM maintenance:

I've got a 2008 530 EXCR. Maintenance cost is OK as long as you don't mind dumping a lot of used synthetic oil into the recycle tanks at Auto Zone. I keep the air filter clean, and the valves are right where they were when I bought it. I had the suspension done last year and that's the first time it was touched. Depending on ride tempo, and your desire to stick with the factory maintenance recommendations, I'll bet the KTM will cost you a bit more to maintain than the two Japanese bikes. On the other hand, you can always do what my friend does, ignore the factory service intervals and ride the piss out of it. His 450 is still going strong.

I'll bet 10 bucks that riding a YZ 250 will make you hate your DRZ.

Plated KTM 350 EXC-F maybe?

Plated KTM 350 EXC-F maybe?

That's kind of what I was thinking. Or maybe a 450. I figure I can get a good used one for 5-6k. Also open to thoughts there.

A properly set-up track bike of any ilk will Not be set-up properly for trail riding. I recommend: Grom for neighborhood trolling; 300 xcw for single track; 500exc for Dualsport; 350/450 track bike. This methodology will make you jump off tall cliffs to maintain sanity.

B

I already jump off of tall cliffs pretty regularly, so that shouldn't be an issue! =)

Problem is if you get a non plated dirt bike you will not want to ride the drz even for dualsport rides/ fire roads. Best to get a new drz replacement if looking for an all around bike. Or prepare for maintaining multiple bikes.

I went through pretty much this same thing over the past two years. I started with a DRZ, and after a season of riding it wanted a lighter, more powerful dirt bike for tracks and sand. I picked up a '99 YZ250 and was blown away at how much better it was off-road than the DRZ. My wife, who was also riding a DRZ at the time, fell in love with my YZ250 so much she went to the trouble of putting a plate on it. It will never be anything but a motocross bike, but since she mostly wants to ride off-road this opened up the rest of the state park to her, as well as being able to connect trails via some asphalt.

Once I realized I was never getting my YZ250 back I figured I wanted something better off-road than my DRZ that could still at least nominally function as a dualsport, and picked up a plated WR450. This is by far my favorite bike that we have, it is fantastic out in Anza-Borrego and tackles anything I throw at it. That said I went ahead and got another YZ250 to ride at the MX track and Dunes. We still have my wife's DRZ which she rides on trips that are too long or involve too much asphalt for her YZ250, and as the most street-friendly bike of the lot it spends most of its time on supermoto wheels for rides down the coast, up Palomar Mountain or Highland Valley, and to the 7-11.

Bang for your buck, the YZ250 is really hard to beat. I'm positive it will make you a better rider on your DRZ, and as everyone else has said your DRZ is going to feel heavy and slow after riding one. But that's no reason not to!

If you'd like to take my YZ for a spin just lmk, we're both in Encinitas.

FWIW, Goofy Footer has at least one plated 450 he's looking to sell. That would be an awesome tweener bike, as it's bulletproof as the day is long, still relatively streetable when the mood strikes, and way better offroad than the drz out of the box. Might want to reach out to him, as his selling and listing skills have taken a back seat to his firefighting stuff.

I think I'll ride this winter out with the DRZ (pun). I'm sure there's still more to learn on it and there are some life changes that I'll have front-and-center for at least the next 3-4 months.

Come mid-2016 I'll be ready for a change though. I'm just trying to do my homework on the front end so I'll be prepared when a good deal comes along.

More than likely I'll look to buy within SDAR if possible. Y'all seem to take good care of your bikes.

as stated above best bet for a do it all top tier bike is a Euro 4 stroke "enduro". 350-500cc. Katos /Kato Husky, Beta those are your best choices with a bunch of different models to choose from.

More small trails/track 350/390/400 range. more everything 430/450 range. more longer distance Baja/ western dez loops 500cc range. but all of these can do anything, friend won our class in last years tecate enduro on a plated 500EXC, that was a long hard tough enduro with very technical stuff and tight single track (all done in 2nd and 3rd gear on that tractor). other friends have 2 gear sets for their KTM350EXC/Husky FE350S the normal ride trails/race HS/enduro set and the tall gear set (final drive) up for longer point to point rides like for Baja dirt roads for example. For any of these models set up is where the difference lies really, and of course your own personal feel. PS the feel difference between a 350 and 450 Kato is very different 450 to 500 not as far different. Dont forget to look at Beta their line up is great as well.

Have you considered a KTM RFS bike? CiD has one up for sale, or here is one with 36 total hours: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2006-ktm-525-exc-portland-or.1109862/

These are super reliable, easy to maintain, are plenty fast, and can put in long dual sport miles. I just sold mine (went 690), and I can't think of another dirt bike under $5K that I'd rather own.

Mine is not for sale. I told Roco that I want to keep mine. Nothing I'd rather ride at this time.

CiD

Smart move, I'm already looking at 525's online.... :axehead:

Mine is not for sale. I told Roco that I want to keep mine. Nothing I'd rather ride at this time.

CiD

Smart move, I'm already looking at 525's online.... :axehead:

Duh! I told you to keep it. I'm not called the Oracle for nothing.... :heh:

If you want to ride the track alot it's gonna be hard to do that on a softer dual sport suspension, even a ktm 500 properly setup can't do both very well suspension will be way too soft. I love my husky 350 and wouldn't go back had a drz and have a yz250 the 350 mktm/husky plate form does it very well not the overall raw power of the 500 but hauls my 230lbs ass around quite well.

To be clear I don't want to ride the track a ton. Maybe 15% of my riding. 85% would be trails and dual sport riding.

I'd just like to be able to lap the track occasionally on something a bit friendlier than the DRZ.

What years are the RFS KTMs? For 5k or so if I could find a 350 or 450 I'd be interested.

Easy to find bikes in that price range. Vanjoostens 525 he just sold was completely sorted, had every goody you could want and he was asking 4500. Goofy would probably sell a wr450 for around the same I'm guessing. I bought a fuel injected husaberg for less than what you're willing to spend. You just need to figure out what you want.

Well, assuming I went the KTM route I think it would be between the 350 and 450. Looking to spend around $5k so maybe that's prime RFS territory. Looks like it would be 2007 or older. If anyone around here has one, or knows of one, I'd be curious to take it for a spin and/or possibly buy it!

I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs. so I don't think I need the extra grunt or weight of a 500+. My primary interest is trails and singletrack.

One of these bikes does seem more practical than two. Even if it's not a perfect fit for everything I like to do.

I think the biggest question comes down to how much time you're going to spend on the road and/or higher speeds (i.e. desert, baja, etc) and how much time you're going to spend in super-tight stuff. If you think you'll swing towards less road and more super-tight stuff, then smaller displacement is the way to go. If you're thinking you'll spend more time doing the opposite, I would be looking at a 450-525.

If you keep your eyes peeled on CL you should be able to find an RFS powered, plated bike for $4k easily. I still say you should at least consider a WR450 unless you're dead-set on KTM.

I'm not dead-set on anything. But the WRs can only be plated up until 2002, no? Is there much of a weight difference between the WR and KTM?

You just need to buy one plated already, which is why I suggested you look at Goofy Footer's bikes.

Although the RFS bikes are very durable for a KTM, the Yamaha is far less trouble-prone, IMO. You can do lots of research to validate or dispute that claim.

One thing to consider is with the RFS bikes you have the very early 400 and 250 (pre 2003, iirc) and then you only have the 450 or 525. That said, the 450 (or the wr450, for that matter) will make comparable power to the fuel injected 350 in the 2012+ bikes.