Crawdaddy

Moto Z Hybrid - tube spin / valve stem failure

Put one these on the back of my 300 and wound up with two flats on Saturday. Both times the valve stem sheared off at the tube (one rim lock). Initial flat was with heavy duty tube at 10 PSI. Second flat was front tube at 12PSI. Valve stem nut loose to cap.

I'll be changing it out again when I get back to the river this weekend. If I break off another valve stem I'll be selling this tire. (Also have a new one on my 350 with zero time that I may remove/sell depending on what happens with 300)

Are other folks having these issues. Using a special rim lock? Pressure?

Thinking these tires may be meant to be run with tubeless exclusively. Not a fan at the moment. Never had these issues with MT43.

I only ran mine with tubliss never had issue like that. Ive followed all the forums on this tire and never heard of anything like that happening.

Hard to believe you have the correct rim lock installed. Two of the correct width should do the job and balance the wheel as well. B

Hard to believe you have the correct rim lock installed. Two of the correct width should do the job and balance the wheel as well. B

Good point. I'll verify width is correct before next tube. I've been using this same rim lock for years with no issues.

Maybe, but that doesn't address the front tube failure.

At 12 psi up front, in normal riding conditions, I would not expect the tire to spin on the rim.

10 psi in the back, with rim lock...shouldn't spin either...under normal riding conditions.

And really, what's the point of running that tire if you have to run higher psi??

If you have a 3rd failure, I'd certainly think there is a problem here and would ditch 'um.

And really, what's the point of running that tire if you have to run higher psi??

If you have a 3rd failure, I'd certainly think there is a problem here and would ditch 'um.

Exactly. Didn't buy a trials to run at high PSI.

It may not be the tire spinning on the rim. It could be the tube "walking" inside the tire. Happens with trials type tires using tubes and low pressure.

If you mark the tire and the rim you can tell what's moving. It is pretty hard to spin a tire on a rim.

I've had similar problems until I started using these Michelin Trials tubes with Mountain Hybrids and MT43's

These "trials tubes" fill the tire better and don't walk. They are butyl rubber. Maybe that helps them stay in place too? I dunno, they work.

I buy 'em at Cedar Rapids Tire. Prolly available elsewhere too.

https://www.cedarrapidstire.com/category/18276/michelin-tube-18-special-trials-400-18-offroad-michelin-motorcycle-tube-tubes

http://www.accu-products.com/michelin-tires/18-special-trials-tube/prod_71653.html

I don't install a nut on the valve stem, just a plastic valve cap. Then, if the tire goes flat, the stem just pulls thru the hole and doesn't get sheared off. Old desert racer trick.

Just to clarify, the front tube failure was in the back tire too, right?

Hmmm, a tube that adequately fits the tire makes good sense. But I've never had to buy a speciality tube for any other tire. I'd like to be able to slap a basic front tube in the tire when in a pinch.

Just to clarify, the front tube failure was in the back tire too, right?

Yes

Hmmm, a tube that adequately fits the tire makes good sense. But I've never had to buy a speciality tube for any other tire. I'd like to be able to slap a basic front tube in the tire when in a pinch.

The MT43's, and even more so, the Mountain Hybrid's are BIG they have a lot of open space inside of them. A 21" tube will work in a pinch, but it's gonna have to pumped up big time to fill all that space. Like 20 psi or more. That will get you back to the truck. Then you can fix it correctly with the right tube.

The guy at Cedar Rapids Tire is very helpful. He schooled me on using the correct tube for the tire.

"But I've never had to buy a speciality tube for any other tire" ---- You may have to start.

Not a problem with mine- no angled valve stem- no evidence of creep.

Std tube, heavy duty, or UHD?

One rim lock?

Pressure?

Valve stem but no nut under/over rim? Nut under rim with top nut loosened to cap? Under and over rim with upper tightened down?

The MT43's, and even more so, the Mountain Hybrid's are BIG they have a lot of open space inside of them. A 21" tube will work in a pinch, but it's gonna have to pumped up big time to fill all that space. Like 20 psi or more. That will get you back to the truck. Then you can fix it correctly with the right tube.

The guy at Cedar Rapids Tire is very helpful. He schooled me on using the correct tube for the tire.

"But I've never had to buy a speciality tube for any other tire" ---- You may have to start.

I've stuffed fronts in MT43 at ~10 psi w/o issue.

Not a problem with mine- no angled valve stem- no evidence of creep.

Std tube, heavy duty, or UHD?

One rim lock?

Pressure?

Valve stem but no nut under/over rim? Nut under rim with top nut loosened to cap? Under and over rim with upper tightened down?

UHD tube

9-13 lbs

Nut under rim and another on stem jammed against valve cap

" UHD on the seat " " Loose Nut under the helmet "

A flat tire is the least you can expect! :bigeyed: :ohno02:

I've stuffed fronts in MT43 at ~10 psi w/o issue.

Clearly, You have just been lucky up until this point.

When you stuff your little tube into a big orifice there is bound to be some slippage.

;-)

Lol

Heard of a bunch of these troubles with this particular tire.

Arrived at the river late yesterday afternoon and removed the rear wheel

6F958C10-B0B9-4AE1-889E-C91154006D8D_zps

When I pulled the temp front tube out the rim strip came with it....that mangled red mess below. That may have contributed to the tube sliding around. Wrapped a couple of layers of duct tape as new rim strip....

20CAC561-E7F2-4866-A594-A42E7D632947_zps

Patched an UHD tube I had laying around and also swapped rim lock/valve stem locations (less wiggle room for valve stem now)

99897305-6727-4AAB-A7BD-6C74867AFF54_zps

Ready to roll this morning.....fingers crossed

8E7E18BF-F177-4760-9CD1-9C27AF2F5E44_zps

Mucho de Baby Powder es muy beneficio.. Good Luck

Two more rear flats today.....keep snapping valve stems no matter what type tube/what pressure I run or whether valve has nut tight, loose, none ( running one rim lock).

I'm done w my review - F. They may be fine with tubeless, but I'M DONE WITH'EM. I'll be selling both MotoZ Hybrids. The unused/new one on the 350 and slightly used one on the 300.

Think I'll order a "trusty/reliable" MT43 to put on the 350. I'll pick up a knobby for the 300 out here in Bullhead in the morning......

I'll be back in town on the 4th. Whoever is in the market for these tires can have the pair for $125. They sell for ~$100ea.

Think of all the practice your getting changing flats. Next time we ride if I get one you'd be able to fix in in under 10 minutes.

Ci;-)