Goofy Footer

Two-Day Ride ideas Nov 23-24 Mon/Tues

So bboyle9 is coming into town next week and we'll be riding Mon & Tues, Nov 23 & 24... but not sure exactly where yet

So, I'm looking for some fun 2 day ride ideas.

I'm open to travel a bit, possibly leaving SD very late Sunday or early Monday and returning by 8pm on Tuesday.

I was possibly considering:

Baja (Coyote Cals was our last ride)

Mojave (havent been in a while - long drive out)

Big Bear (need to check if trails are open)

Vegas (drive sucks but awesome stories)

I'll be on a WR450 and he'll likely be on my WR250f unless somebody is foolish enough to rent him a fourfiddy! Not looking to tackle hardcore / techy stuff. Cold beer, tasty campfood and good vibes are a must.

Any other fun ideas?

Historical sites are cool.

Killer ride shots that impress chicks are even cooler.

Big bear trails were open weekend before last, even though a few had signs on the open gates that stated closed Nov 1. We rode from Palm Ave off 215 - Silverwood - Arrowhead - Big Bear - Pioneer Town - Yucca Valley, stayed the night in Yucca and then headed north into Lucerne - up the north face of Arrowhead - Silverwood - Palm Ave. It was cold everywhere above Arrowhead with a bit on snow in the shady areas. Overall great overnight ride.

Big bear trails were open weekend before last, even though a few had signs on the open gates that stated closed Nov 1. We rode from Palm Ave off 215 - Silverwood - Arrowhead - Big Bear - Pioneer Town - Yucca Valley, stayed the night in Yucca and then headed north into Lucerne - up the north face of Arrowhead - Silverwood - Palm Ave. It was cold everywhere above Arrowhead with a bit on snow in the shady areas. Overall great overnight ride.

Thanks for the info Bri-Man. I'm glad to hear Big Bear to Yucca is open as somebody mentioned to me that there was significant fire damage in the area / trails may be closed. Your ride sounds like a great trip.

Keep the ideas coming! Want to come ride with us?

I would skip Big Bear.

Was there last weekend.

Saturday was cold in the morning, but warmed up.

Sunday was cold/windy and 6" of snow.

The lower elevations should be fine, but the higher & shady elevations will have snow/ice

Hey Goofy, thanks for the post, fyi, for you, and your buds, or any other... I just finished some chores and was thinking of loading the old bike in the old truck in a few hours and head out from La mesa for a couple days, destination not yet determined. However, .....

I might sleep out in the desert near Ranchita tonight, then drive truck to find gold rock ranch (never been there, but an earlier post that includes Picacho mentioned it in the post / GPS Kevin meetup site as well) or quechan tomorrow, maybe simply as a place to visit, or to leave the truck more securely during the day and unload from...if they allow that) and then from either or other place......

.... head out to do a loop including Picacho and paddle wheel... in from the south and winterhaven and out the north, route yet to be discovered. Just me and my delorme, and maybe my new fifty/fifty to see if a cold one later in the day is still cold :) . sleep in the desert again monday night and likely see the Tuesday morning group in Borrego for breakfast and do another loop before the crowds and cooler weather shows up. Don't need anyone to be side by side the whole time, but if anyone wants to see some new stuff and is more comfortable having another rider alongside for a couple hours, you are welcome to ride along for awhile and sit on some bluffs as the viewpoints permit and peel off as needs get met. All good.

As a newer older rider, I am not a speedy rider and will avoid some technical slippery rocky routes that greatly increase the bif potential given my skill set, and because solo, and not too keen on mile after mile of soft whoops, but I do plan to log some miles and explore the area around Picacho Peak. I am on a drz and will likely strap on a rotopak due to my stock tank. I won't be camping off my bike this time so my destination each day will be to loop back to my truck. Yippie kay-yay. :)

I do not know if you have done Yuma? I would try Picacho park area by the river, then over to Kofa state park. if you would like I would go over some tracks and maps with you. It will get in the 60s at night and in 80s during the day. Super cool places I could show you, Valley of the Names, Red Cloud Mine Road, Big Eye Mine, and camp on the river. Beer at Martinez Lake, what more do you want.

Thanks for the info everybody. I decided to avoid Big Bear and save it for a different ride. bboyle9 and I are going to do a bonzai Barstow to Vegas and back overnight trip.

MacDuncan, take some pics of your ride!

Keep the tracks handy...

I already have Victorville to Barstow offroad routes...

There is so much riding to be had in the high desert.