ADV Bum

2016 SDAR Desert Dash suggestions

They are not issuing permits this year for any rides in Ocotillo wells so our Desert Dash will have to change this year. We are going to have at least a one day ride out on blm lands. Some people have expressed the desire to have a big bike alternate/adventure ride. I think this would be a good time to try this and see how we could incorporate the big bike adventure into the Dash or add on another date. I would like to get peoples ideas and suggestions to make something cool this year and make something positive out of a negative situation.

Why no permits?

So the area is still open to riding but just no organized rides.

We could still do as usual just no "official" route.

There is a group of 200 riders that do this every year in DV which does not allow "events".

Flat tailed Horned Lizard research has closed the area. I would rather not ruin our chances of getting permits in the future or ruining our positive reputation for one ride.

Does the restriction only apply to Anza Borrego Desert State Park, or does it apply to both ABDSP and the Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area? If OWSVRA is also affected, the only remaining areas west of the Salton Sea are Superstition, Plaster City, Painted Gorge, and Yuha Basin. Carrizo Mountain usually closes Jan 1, so that's out as well. There's some good riding in those remaining areas but it's pretty small for a two day program. There's always the east side of the Salton Sea, but I know of other organizations that have held events in that area in the same time frame as the Dash, and not sure how that would be received.

I have ridden in the last 4 Dashes and the event has favored DS bikes as opposed to larger adventure bikes. I would love to preserve a small bike aspect, maybe a 150 mile slog through Superstition, Yuha, and Plaster City on day one, and a big bike ride on day two. If we have to relocate to Big Bear, Mojave, or areas east of the Salton Sea to get the space we need, I would commit to the longer travel time.

We could turn the track south before OW down Old Borrego road and then slab to Split Mountain where we setup a lunch stop like we used to. From there run east along the mountains and catch Pole Line and head south. We would probably have to stage gas there for those that need it.

I could be persuaded to drag a grill down there and am pretty confident I can deliver a better burger than we have had the last couple years.

The restriction only applies to OW. You can still ride there, just cant get a permit for an organized event. It really only affects one leg of day ones tracks and in my opinion, no real loss to lose that part of the run.

I am currently without small bike so bring on the adventure ride.

Plaster city west,Superstition, & Painted Gorge all in a day with burgers...

Sign me up

Well, I am In with a Big Bike if some thing comes up. 1 day is good for me, 2 days is better. I just don't like to drag the "KAMPFKUH" out of the soft sand to much.

Hard pack: Warner spring - Anza - Idyllwild is possible in loops.

2 different dates one for small bikes then another day and route for big bikes sounds like a good idea. Bummer about Ocotillo problems right in middle of all the tracks. Like the Idea jaja had with a big bike idyllwild trip will make for a good day just have to deal with conditions and snow. Small bikes the superstition plaster city area sounds like another good option would also let non plated bikes join In, i know members on here don't have plates.

Superstition has a variety of terrain.

Hitting all 3 towers is fun.

Yeah, and we could do a helluva wagon circle there.

Yeah, and we could do a helluva wagon circle there.

And ask me about bonfires...

They are not issuing permits this year for any rides in Ocotillo wells so our Desert Dash will have to change this year. We are going to have at least a one day ride out on blm lands. Some people have expressed the desire to have a big bike alternate/adventure ride. I think this would be a good time to try this and see how we could incorporate the big bike adventure into the Dash or add on another date. I would like to get peoples ideas and suggestions to make something cool this year and make something positive out of a negative situation.

Ouch! May be other ways to stay in Anza Borrego and dodge Octotillo Wells......just adds some pavement.......which is Ok for the big bikes.....may lose a lot of the smaller bikes.......

Could do a true "ADV/Dualsport" ride out of Ramona starting/ending at All American KTM. Ride to Anza and back. 50% pavement & Big Bike friendly. ~160 miles.

Or start out of Ramona and ride around Lake Sutherland, up 78 to Wynola, down 78 to Rodriguez/Oriflamme/Mason.......up S2 to 78......78 to Grapevine/Jasper.....swing a left on S22 towards Ranchita/S2.......pass by Hideout for lunch.......Mesa Grande/Black Canyon back to Ramona......this route is probably ~70% pavement......suitable for big bikes......

Another alternative to start/end both days at Lake Henshaw if folks want to camp/rent cabins........easy to come up with two days of riding from there "if" focus is on big bikes and ~50% (or more) pavement is acceptable.....

Frankly, I don't think there will be that big of a turnout if the focus is ADV and the rides have more than ~30% pavement.........I'd guess that ~80% of the riders that show up annually are on 500cc or less bikes and crave dirt.....

One annual complaint is that the first day has historically been too damn long.....casual riders are flammed out after riding ~180 miles and they never make it to the second (better) day.......I've long advocated making the usual day 2 track (Squeeze/Ledges/Dropoff/Slot Canyon/Fonts/Borrego Springs (lunch/gas)/Culp/jasper/Grapevine/Rodriguez/Oriflamme/Mason - back to Butterfield) the day 1 track and shortening the day in the desert on day 2.....I just checked the usual day 2 tracks on a map........the entire trackset stays in Anza Borrego/BLM and does NOT enter Ocotillo Wells......I'd advocate that approach........though some on big bikes will not be interested in the squeeze/ledges/drop-off portion.......need a work around to Borrego Springs for them.......perhaps pavement to Old Borrego Springs Road to Borrego Springs???.......then they could head up Culp/Jasper/Grapevine and finish out with the little bikes....

Day two could be a run down S2 to the Mud Caves/Octillo....HW option for Superstition but general loop to skip Superstition and just include Mud Caves/Ocotillo (to reduce overall mileage and get folks back early Sunday afternoon)....downside is ~20+(?) miles of roundtrip pavement to get down there and back on S2 from Butterfield.....

I was really looking forward to you desert dash this year. Would be my first time. I missed last year's due to going to death valley instead.

I really hope they have a small bike mostly dirt ride. Large dualsport loops are nice but it's hard to gear my drz for both pavement and technical dirt sections.

I like C-daddy's idea. Make day two, day one and totally rework day two to stay in the state park. That whole run to Salton, then down pole line, down that long dusty leg to I-8 could go away and I don't think anyone would miss it. Gas and lunch are the only issues.

blm land only and I am in with my little big bike

.though some on big bikes will not be interested in the squeeze/ledges/drop-off portion.......need a work around to Borrego Springs for them.......perhaps pavement to Old Borrego Springs Road to Borrego Springs???

Diablo Dropoff bypasses all of those and still drops into Fish Creek, although the sandy sections may not be big bike friendly either.

All I know is that I'm going to win this year!

I would love to put together a big bike ride out in Yuma, DSTSS and I have several routes out that way, You can even do a 100 mile skinny bike ride that Dave and I have done in the past, and on Sunday a nice ride in Kofa, Plenty of places to stage an event out in Picacho Park.

For a fact, I have a 120 mile loop out of Hidden Shores for skinny dual sport bikes, I could do the ride on my 800 except for one area. It would be something new and fun.

Plenty of gas, food, no problem. Anyone on the forum that would like to do a ride with Dave and myself just to take a look see. you are welcome. I have a staging place at hidden shores.

Heck if you want to do this post me soon. Lets say up to 6 big bikes or small. Randy I am going to post you and you can stay at my place. The park has plenty of spots for trailers with full hookups, Pool, jacuzzi, and a nice restaurant.

I would love to put together a big bike ride out in Yuma,

That would be a good club ride.......just like my Bullhead invite........but I think Mike is looking for a suggestion to keep THIS ride in San Diego county......it's a regular feature on the D37 calendar.....need to keep it close/accessible for all the folks that drive down from L.A./Orange County......still have'em drive down to San Diego county......but with a different twist this year.......

It might not be for everyone but you could put on a great ride out of Rancho Veronica or the KOA in Tecate.

CiD

It might not be for everyone but you could put on a great ride out of Rancho Veronica or the KOA in Tecate.

CiD

D37 isn't gonna go for that........I think the general plan is to try and to come up with something that will keep it on the D37 calendar.......

I like Crawdaddy's plan. Beginner's and C riders aren't going to like the Pinyon dropoff. Alternative would be the much less intimidating Diablo dropoff. The Dash has traditionally been an offroad event and to keep it on the the D37 calendar it needs to stay that way.