Bagstr

Ear Bud Radio Comm?

19 minutes ago, darylhunter said:

Next step is to get my girls licensed . . .

If you buy a GMRS band licence no test is required and it covers your whole family.

GMRS is located in the UHF band at 462-467 MHz and the Amateur 70 Centimeter UHF band is 420-450 MHz. They are nearly identical so most 70cm equipment works with the GMRS frequencies.  There is a network of GMRS repeaters too.  http://www.mygmrs.com/browse

If you're set up solely for the 2 meter band then maybe not so convenient.

The repeater info for GMRS is good to know.

Because I do a lot of work with the FCC, I did get a GMRS license just to be fully legal when I had a set of the FRS/GMRS radios for my wife and kids to use.

Eventually let the license go as the radios all finally died.  Even though I tried to find good quality radios, I was never happy with the audio quality of them and was perversely happy when they finally croaked so I could throw them away.

My ham gear's audio quality is so much better!

The girls are 12 and 14, and they could each pass the ham test with just a week's worth of easy study - finding the time is the only hard part.

I have an Extra class license and have been licensed since 1981, but not as active as I was when I lived back East.  With a 5 minute commute to work I just don't have time to get on the air anymore, and too many other distractions at home . . .

I find the baofeng uv-5r handhelds to be far better than the bubble pack types, and at a price point that is disposable.  For the pursuit of DX, not so good.  

However, I have consistently been able to hit a repeater in Lompoc Ca from my house in Vista on a baofeng uv-5r when the weather is right.  That's 200 miles over land and water.

7 hours ago, Sneeker said:

I find the baofeng uv-5r handhelds to be far better than the bubble pack types, and at a price point that is disposable.  For the pursuit of DX, not so good.  

However, I have consistently been able to hit a repeater in Lompoc Ca from my house in Vista on a baofeng uv-5r when the weather is right.  That's 200 miles over water.

What do you mean by bubble pack types?

8 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

If you're stopped, it's fine. If moving, please don't key that mic. My ears will blow. 

Again, back to your "broken" PTTs

1 minute ago, Goofy Footer said:

Again, back to your "broken" PTTs

My content is always pleasent, and not filled with loud background noise- (my point is) those handjobs (ha!) are high-gain mics, designed to have a gap between the person and the mic. They are VERY sensitive to noise like wind and motorcycles.

2 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

What do you mean by bubble pack types?

Like this:

83fbc46303f64e21b80dedc4ba641f38.jpg