Bagstr

Ear Bud Radio Comm?

Rugged is at it again with 20% Sale PRO-2-EARBUDS-MD.jpg

So who is using Ear Buds?? Can you hear conversation when you stop to chat about the map? Paul?

P.S. Sorry if we covered this previously

Thanks

That pic looks like it's just to hear the radio......I don't see anything that would attach to the headset???

I do use earbuds. For music.

I use helmet speakers for radio. The problem is the two don't play well together if connected- the radio essentially shorts the two-channels of music and denigrates the audio quality of the music.

Were I unenlightened and didn't listen to music while riding, I'd use the earplugs for radio, keep the volume low and benefit from the noise isolation.

Illegal in California, BTW.

Thanks Paul and Randy!

Ordered Single Pin Radio to 5-pin, Harness 5-pin to PTT and Helmet, Earbuds with Aviation Mic. Still expensive @ 20% Sale!!

I do use earbuds. For music.

I use helmet speakers for radio. The problem is the two don't play well together if connected- the radio essentially shorts the two-channels of music and denigrates the audio quality of the music.

Were I unenlightened and didn't listen to music while riding, I'd use the earplugs for radio, keep the volume low and benefit from the noise isolation.

Illegal in California, BTW.

What is illegal in California?

Earplugs.

Ear speakers, ok, but not earplugs, yes including hearing protection.

And yes, I have received a ticket for it. Stopped for speeding,06:30 New Year's Day, 1995-ish. Earfoams fell out on helmet removal, "And I'll give you a ticket for that, too".

Thank you Officer.

I knew plugging both ears was not legal in CA. You can plug one ear, but not both. Have to switch ears regularly.

But I always wore both ear plugs while riding on the street and on the track. To me they seemed to filter out the wind noise and I felt that I actually heard non noise sounds more clearly.

Worth the risk to save what little hearing I have left.

I think I'd rather use an earbud based comm setup like the F1 guys use rather than speakers in the helmet. But I don't know how they work the microphone part.

Earplugs.

Ear speakers, ok, but not earplugs, yes including hearing protection.

And yes, I have received a ticket for it. Stopped for speeding,06:30 New Year's Day, 1995-ish. Earfoams fell out on helmet removal, "And I'll give you a ticket for that, too".

Thank you Officer.

Ah. That is no longer the law. Prior to January 1, 2004 you could only wear "custom" ear plugs. Since then they removed the word "custom" from the law and now you can wear "personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle."

See California Vehicle Code §27400.

If I could find a way to link my road riding Sena Headset into a Ham... I'd be stupid happy. Music, phone, short comms, and long range comms in one is a dream

For a basic (inexpensive) mobile setup, would this work:

Rugged Earplugs + 5 watt handheld attached to backpack shoulder harness ?

My thoughts in theory:

This would allow a rider to hear basic / emergent comms and then stop the bike at a safe physical location and quickly reply via handheld if needed.

This could be an inexpensive / buddy / loaner radio option.

Legal Disclosure: I will not be using radios in this state / country

Yes, it's always an advantage when a rider can hear the pack, even if he/she cannot transmit. Not ideal, but can be very helpful. I'd still place that rider mid-pack, but he/she will still be able to hear warnings about oncoming vehicles and anticipated turns.

I've been told there are people who wish my radios worked that way-listen only. These are the musically unenlightened.

3 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Yes, it's always an advantage when a rider can hear the pack, even if he/she cannot transmit. Not ideal, but can be very helpful. I'd still place that rider mid-pack, but he/she will still be able to hear warnings about oncoming vehicles and anticipated turns.

Good info. This will be my option for those without headsets & harness.

5 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

I've been told there are people who wish my radios worked that way-listen only. These are the musically unenlightened.

You're foolish and naive to believe your PTTs break "on their own".....

6 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

You're foolish and naive to believe your PTTs break "on their own".....

What? No. Really? Nooooo.

There are not THAT many people out there without musical appreciation. That cannot be the explanation.

3 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Good info. This will be my option for those without headsets & harness.

Goofy, This is what we use, $11. It does both RX and TX.

Wear it like the cops do, on your shoulder.  You can hear just enough riding at speed to get the idea of what's being said, then slow down to reasonable speed to hear better, key up and talk by just tilting your head to the side.  Works great.

Worth a try at that price.

11 hours ago, Sneeker said:

Goofy, This is what we use, $11. It does both RX and TX.

Wear it like the cops do, on your shoulder.  You can hear just enough riding at speed to get the idea of what's being said, then slow down to reasonable speed to hear better, key up and talk by just tilting your head to the side.  Works great.

Worth a try at that price.

I spoke with Daniel last night and he too mentioned speaker mics.  It seems like many guys have issues with the radio harnesses / PTTs etc and a simple speaker mic setup could help alleviate that.  Also, it's a great option for a loaner setup.  I see that the speaker mic you have listed also has an "Additional 3.5mm privacy earphone jack" where you could run Ear Buds to the Speaker Mic on your shoulder and have the radio in your backpack.  That setup would be a bit more.. sneeky.

41kcVqYqTDL.jpg

415vRU2b4jL.jpg

If you're stopped, it's fine. If moving, please don't key that mic. My ears will blow. 

1 hour ago, Goofy Footer said:

I spoke with Daniel last night and he too mentioned speaker mics.  It seems like many guys have issues with the radio harnesses / PTTs etc and a simple speaker mic setup could help alleviate that.  Also, it's a great option for a loaner setup.  I see that the speaker mic you have listed also has an "Additional 3.5mm privacy earphone jack" where you could run Ear Buds to the Speaker Mic on your shoulder and have the radio in your backpack.  That setup would be a bit more.. sneeky.

Simple is better, less to go wrong.  And saving $200+ over the Rugged Radio fluff attachments to get the same job done is nice too.

I've gone the speaker mic route for a while now, but recently purchased a bag full of Sena headsets so I can communicate with my kids and wife while dirt biking.

Have plans to add the SR10 into the mix so I can use my ham gear to extend range.  Does anyone here have experience with the SR10 yet?

Next step is to get my girls licensed . . .