poboyblues

Hydration/Gear Packs

I know I'm not on this site much but I've got a need for a new hydration pack and looking to see who's using what these days. I've been using a smaller sized camelbak system for many years that I've outgrown. I need the room for more water and more first aid gear. My first aid gear was pathetic, and well as I get older I get more worried About getting hurt and being stuck so the need to carry more water is necessary for my comfort level. Input and opinions appreciated.

In past 5 years I've had 2 camelbak's and 2 cheapo ones. one from costco and one from big 5. Go threw them from crashes or branches trearing them up and honestly this one. http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/Outdoor%20Products+Ripcord-Hydration-Pack/0780105960010/_/A-3637782#.VdVh3Jjn_MI

Has worked awesome always on sale for $25 and not the most comfortable compared to new shoulder strap x pattern they have now, but lasted me over a year which is good for me.

Camelback = anti offroad.

Kriega is sooooo very comfortable.

For the reservoir I really like the Platypus big zip. Never had any leaks (can't say the same of camelbak) and it's so easy to fill.
http://www.amazon.com/Platypus-Big-Zip-Reservoir-3-Liter/dp/B00F5IADN6/

For the pack itself I had been using an Ogio Flight Vest but recently added a Klim Krew Pack that I've been pretty impressed with.

Michael I have a Klim Nac Pack I use when I'm not wearing my full jacket. I actually have a brand new one that I bought for my wife to use. Let's meet for lunch and you can check it out. I believe it's my turn to buy! :)

Thank you to everyone for input and opinions. I'm going to look around.

Hey Tim call me lets do it. Let's meet up. You gotta see this first aid ---- I bought. It's some cool stuff.

camelback= does not support offroad motorized activities and supports anti motorized sports orgs., do not support them.

Another alternative and used by many top tier pros is the USWE brand in all its different configurations. I use the 3 liter racing pack and will get another more geared for general trail riding travel that has more cargo space. The Ergos of this pack are most excellent. 3 liters feels like 1 oz.

https://www.facebook.com/UsweHydration?fref=ts

Years of powerlifting and gym workouts have left me with a very broad, muscular chest, powerful shoulders and over-sized abs.

Do you find the Kreiga comfortable for those of use with large frames?

Years of powerlifting and gym workouts have left me with a very broad, muscular chest, powerful shoulders and over-sized abs.

PMB...you're killin' me! :lmaosmiley:

U (you) S (sure) W (would) E (enjoy)

U

the USWE brand

I got a big klim backpack that straps to the waist to take the load off your shoulders. Works well, nicely made...

Do there sell beer now in plastic bladders? :coolio: Could exchange this for a Camel Bag bladder. :heh::smile_anim:

Do you find the Kreiga comfortable for those of use with large frames?

I wear it over my massive shoulders after putting on the Leatt 3df lite armour as well. I only wear this because I look really buff while walking around and chicks dig it.

I can bring it to the bbq tomorrow if your going to be there. The quality is top notch.

I'll be unable to attend tomorrow, but please post photos of you parading around for the chicks, thanks.

+1 on the Klim had mine for 3+ yrs tool bag clicks in or out depending on the lentgh of ride, had a Zac Speed didn't care for how snug you had to have it to keep the weight balanced.

Just picked up a Kriega pack. Very happy with the design, comfort and ablity to customize your setup by attaching other packs. Also very durable.

my setup for the colorado trip.

hydro 3

Kube pocket

us-5 drypack

hands free hydration tube.

This setup is good for local trail rides or longer rides with a chase vehicle. otherwise I would look into one of the larger packs like the R15 or R20.

I've been wanting to try this out...I'm just not willing to spend $200 to learn whether or not I like it.

I believe this set up would distribute the weight better than a regular soft hydro pack.

http://www.spotmotorcycles.com/zac-speed-exotec-rp-3-protector-pack-719999/

I have used the Zac Speed backpack/chest protectors for many years. High quality stuff. They do distribute the weight very well. The newer models are even better in that regard. I had the smallest one. Can't remeber the model #. It was too small for anything but a day ride. Still a great piece of equipment. Now I have the Dakar. http://www.zacspeed.com/12site/usa/2012-dakar.shtml It is really nice. Lots of room and it fits great. They have good airflow. The pack/protector is big so you have to wear it over a jacket. Not that big a deal. Keep an eye on the screws for the first few rides. The hydration bladder is 3 liters. Pretty big. Don't bite real hard on the mouthpiece, ask me how I know. Just bite easy. Comes with a nice tool pouch too. I've sent email to them with questions and the customer service is really good, same day reply. Ordered it direct from them in Australia and it showed up real quick, like under a week. Had to by a replacement part once, and it was real fast shipping too.

$349 for a pack and chest protector? I'm an admitted gear whore and that even makes me choke. Haha.

EDIT: Aussie dollars, not US. Still, some serious coin.

I've been wanting to try this out...I'm just not willing to spend $200 to learn whether or not I like it.

I believe this set up would distribute the weight better than a regular soft hydro pack.

http://www.spotmotorcycles.com/zac-speed-exotec-rp-3-protector-pack-719999/

I have used the Zac Speed backpack/chest protectors for many years. High quality stuff. They do distribute the weight very well. The newer models are even better in that regard. I had the smallest one. Can't remeber the model #. It was too small for anything but a day ride. Still a great piece of equipment. Now I have the Dakar. http://www.zacspeed.com/12site/usa/2012-dakar.shtml It is really nice. Lots of room and it fits great. They have good airflow. The pack/protector is big so you have to wear it over a jacket. Not that big a deal. Keep an eye on the screws for the first few rides. The hydration bladder is 3 liters. Pretty big. Don't bite real hard on the mouthpiece, ask me how I know. Just bite easy. Comes with a nice tool pouch too. I've sent email to them with questions and the customer service is really good, same day reply. Ordered it direct from them in Australia and it showed up real quick, like under a week. Had to by a replacement part once, and it was real fast shipping too.

I went the same route of wanting to find chest protector and backpack in one. Currently trying this out from Leatt:

http://www.leatt.com/shop/chest-protector-4-5-hydra.html

Nice rig, things I wished it had:

-some kind of protection/padding on the shoulder straps for the collar bone

-a little more storage room. once you have 3L of water, theirs just enough room for my tool pouch and some odds and ends. Can't fit a tube in there with the tool kit.

-the bladder doesn't have a shutoff valve when you remove the hose like my Klim bladder does, annoying as you have to fill the bladder while in the pack or completely unthread the hose from all the loops.