Little Bike

Fallbrook to Santiago Peak, Sunday

Happening, if not 101, on Sunday. : ( Time and meetup location will be forthcoming

If too hot (at least for me!), then Sunday August 23.

Make a decision Friday night.

Not going to make this one but if ya haven't been to Santiago Peak, the views are great.

Big Bike Possible?

If I don't have a big head on Sunday from the Saturday "Barona Speedway BBQ", I will try to make it. Let me know where to meet. If possible before Friday evening.

Santiago is definitely big bike doable. If I get my 950 finished on Saturday, I may be in for this.

It should be cool on the mountain (top). GGEarth looks like Gravel.

Get to Fallbrook. Take Teneja Truck Trail through the hills over to Ortega Hwy crossing. Continue up to Santiago Peak.

Some back roads, some dirt roads, incredible views.

Along the way

PICT0011_zps1438f2af.jpg

DSCN0098_zps5fdf199f.jpg

DSCN0105_zps93883ea1.jpg

Hmmmm never done this ride before, What kind is it ?

Fire road, a lot of it is in good condition, some not. Short hills with loose shale, some hills with whoops from 4 WD, ruts. One section of pavement, but narrow and poorly maintained (South Main Divide Road)

Right now I'm at advanced beginner, I've ridden this twice when I was a beginner beginner beginner beginner.... ; )

Unless you're leaving at 4am bring a ton of water. It will be 90 degrees by 10am. It may be slightly cooler at altitude, but you still need to ride back down! Be safe, heatstroke is no joke.

Unless you're leaving at 4am bring a ton of water. It will be 90 degrees by 10am. It may be slightly cooler at altitude, but you still need to ride back down! Be safe, heatstroke is no joke.

Unless the forecast for Sunday changes, I'm all for a reschedule to the next Sunday.

Mileage between gas stations?

Matt

You'll be able to fill up in Fallbrook then Lake Elsinore. I'll have to look at the mileage.

These bikes all easily made it to the top of Santiago Peak:

zmLvfY.jpg

To enjoy this view:

oMb9fX.jpg

On a clear day, you see Catalina.

Alrighty, its forecast to be 102 at the Santa Rosa Plateau (a good part of the ride before the 74 is at this elevation) on Sunday and 107 in Lake Elsinore (where you drop down because Bedford Rd is closed - or at least last time I looked).

The start should be nice, 90 or so in Fallbrook.

I really don't like heat so I'm going to hit this next Sunday, so far its going to be low 90s. Much more civilized!

If you still want to go this Sunday, let me know and I can send you a route.