Sign in to follow this  
350thumper

9/13/2015 District 38 Desert Sprint

Desert race ...

Must have plated bike or California green sticker.

I'm prepping for camp out in the pit the night before the race.

Come and join the fun.

Novice riders welcome .

post-15687-0-80140600-1439154084_thumb.j

Have a good race.. good luck to all participants...

If you run into any LESAR folks say Hi for me...

No Red sticker bikes? That is going to hurt attendance. Back when I was a steward in D38 we could run red stickers because it was a "closed course".

Red sticker, Green sticker, Out of state permit or plated. All good. Its a closed course event, (Kind of)

3 - 23 mile loops.

I hope its not 110 degrees out.

How much is it to sign up for the membership? Is there another race entry fee? I've been wanting to give racing a try, and this looks like a good first try

How much is it to sign up for the membership? Is there another race entry fee? I've been wanting to give racing a try, and this looks like a good first try

Race Cost:

$40 for D38 Member

$50 for Non-member

D38 Membership - $30

You must be an AMA member to race. Join the AMA here http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership

More D38 info, class steward contact info, etc. here http://amad38.com/

Link to race flyer -- http://amad38.com/RaceFlyers/2015_Dezert_Sprint_Flyer.pdf

Class stewards are generally very helpful in getting you all set up. Post any additional questions. There are a few (probably more) out here who can answer them. Or PM me.

I don't want anyone trying to get last place.. That's my position. I don't want anyone taking that away from me .

I bought an ez up if some new guys wanna pit with me. I'm probly gonna be pitting next to Ken S and his race buddies .

If your new to racing Desert at least bring a chair to sit in after the race, and a gallon of water or two .

It looks like I'm gonna enter. This will probably be my last chance at racing for about 9 months, so I'm not gonna miss it! I do have a couple questions for you guys:

On the flyer, it says, "sign ups, saturday and sunday morning." Does this mean that I can't sign up online?

Are there any deadlines that I need to know about?

what is a "District 38 competition license application," and is it mandatory?

Is there anything that I'm missing here? I'll get in contact with a class steward, I'm sure that will help clear things up, too.

Looking forward to running into you guys out there!

Yeah your missing we need to ride more and get you some training in

Doesn't look like you can register for this one online. Sign-ups don't usually take too long at the race.

The D38 Competition License Application is to join D38. It is not mandatory. You don't need to be a District 38 member, unless you want the points. It's also $10 less if you are a member ($40/$50). You MUST be an AMA member, which you can sign up for at the race, but online is easier (if you are not a member already).

If you join D38, your class steward will set you up with a number for the season and your membership card to show at the race. If you don't join D38, they give you a "pie plate"... Literally a paper plate and a temporary number. You write the number on the plate and tape it to your bike.

If you are not going to race after this event, probably makes most sense to just pay the $50 as a non-member. Otherwise you're looking at $70 total ($30 D38 membership + $40 race entry), and you'd have to pay the $30 again for the 2016 season once you get the bug... And you will get the bug!

Reach Air coverage is also not a bad idea... Discounted at $55 for D38 members (not the $25 they show on the web page). I have the discount code at work... Let me know if you need it.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Bring your helmet to the sign ups so they can put a transponder on it.

That way you have plenty of time to practice the bomb run.

Be care ful training for the race.. Especially on perimiter roads....doh!

Thanks, great clarification!

One thing, 350 thumper, the flyer days "no pre-running." I was planning on heading out the day before and ride and get a feel for the terrain though. So what do you mean when you say I need the transponder in order to practice?

Just a note....probably should post this in the Offroad Racing Events forum. Just sayin'......

You don't need the transponder to practice. There is an optional "Bomb Run" before the race which is really fun. The race starts with all engines shut off.. So when the checkered flag waves,everyone starts there bike and takes off as fast as they can in a straight line. Normally I'm there kicking my bike till the dust clears...lol.... I like to be signed up and have my transponder then hit the bomb run .

At the beginning of the race its dangerous because your riding in so much dust you cant see things like bushes and other riders. So don't crash or you could culd get run over. Most injuries are at the start of the race if there are any.

If I wait till everyone gets there to sign up I have to wait in line and I don't like standing in line to get my transponder.

These event are so fun that your gonna get bit by the bug and be racing as much as you can .. If s a family orientated event very fun and addicting.

Edit: its OK to ride Around out there the day before . they say no prerunning the actual coarse so it stays a surprise for everyone. It's more fun that way.

Transponder is a sticker that goes on the visor of your helmet that gets scaned by a time keeping device at the finish line. (I've only seen it actually work once)

Can't pre run the actual mark course.

I'll be going down practicing the weekend before if the temps are below 110. Watch for my post and

Transponder is a sticker on your helmet the time keeping sensor at the finish line reads (wich rarely works)

I'll be down practicing the weekend before the race if the temps are below 110.

Join us and I'll show you the basic layout of the area.

The courses are always different but similar.

Watch for post in informal rides.

Great, this is all really helpful! I'd like to go down the weekend before, but I don't know if I'll be able to. I'm still thinking I'll head down the day before and check it all out. I'm looking forward to this more and more!

I'm racing. Or at least riding. Don't care how hot it is.

I have the bug badly.

Be pitting with Full Throttle. We're at the end of pit row and have a Veys banner out.