My bother and I are planning a ride over Labor Day. We'll be leaving out of Tecate on Friday, 9/4, and returning on Monday, 9/7. It's probably going to be pretty warm, so we'll try to stay on west side of Baja. I know it's early, but I wanted to give enough advanced notice in case anyone wants to join us.

We will cover some pretty technical routes, and he and I will be both on our KTM's. Expect high speeds, deep sand and whoops, so NOT a ride for the GS! Let me know if you want to join us.

At this point, here's what I am thinking for a route:

Day 1: Ride the Baja 500 course from Tecate to Santo Tomas. There's a nice little motel on the highway.

Day 2: Ride the coast to San Quintin, and stay at the big hotel on the beach. That should be a short day, so we can do some exploring and/or drinking in the afternoon.

Day 3: If it's not too hot, and everyone is in a good mood, we could head inland to Valle T to spend the night at the new hotel in town (I could do Mike's if there's anyone who's never been and REALLY wants to stay there).

Day 4: An easy ride back to Tecate.

I am open to route suggestions if anyone has better ideas.

I also think we'll have a mandatory pre-ride meeting a week before to discuss logistics. Fresh rubber and recent service are a must. I am happy to play tour guide, but not nanny. ;-)

Lurking with a twist.......

Riding the whooped out Baja 500 course holds no appeal (to me). So if I went I'd meet up with you guys in Santo Tomas on day one.......then likely fall in line with your agenda from there.....

Would love to make this ride - sounds awesome. Quick question ... how "technical" is the technical section? I have a brother who would love to come but he's really not in love with 'technical' single track rocky type terrain.

The part of the course we'd be riding won't be too nasty. I rode some of it after the 500 and it was fine (I hate whoops, but sometimes it is what it is). As far as technical, I don't plan to hunt for single track, but it definitely won't be all graded roads.

I don't to scare anyone off, but this won't be a ride where you can putt along at 20mph, or we'll never make it before dark. You need to be a good rider. Please PM me if you want to chat more.

The part of the course we'd be riding won't be too nasty. I rode some of it after the 500 and it was fine (I hate whoops, but sometimes it is what it is). As far as technical, I don't plan to hunt for single track, but it definitely won't be all graded roads.

I don't to scare anyone off, but this won't be a ride where you can putt along at 20mph, or we'll never make it before dark. You need to be a good rider. Please PM me if you want to chat more.

Sounds like a perfect ride! OnanySunday - we should go.

We're doing basically the same ride this weekend on big bikes so I can report back on the "whoops issue". Instead of the motel in Santo Tomas you might consider riding another hour to Coyote Cals on the coast.

A bed in the bunk room is $20 and dinner about another $10. Very clean and nice little bar. Eclectic guests vary between off roaders, foreign travelers and young hairy chicks.

I have been giving the trip a lot of thought, and here's where I am with the agenda. I don't expect this to change unless hotels are sold out, in which case I'll make adjustments.

Day 1: Ride some of the Baja 500 course from Tecate to Santo Tomas. 120 miles.

Note: If the 500 course is crappy, we will adjust our route. There are several ways to get where we going, and because we are doing three days, I don't want wear you guys out on the first day. ;-)

Hotel TBD. I am shooting for $40-50 for a double room. I have stayed there before; just need to find it on google and call for info. I'll update.

Day 2: Ride the coast Santo Tomas to San Quintin. Less than 100.

Note: I haven't ridden this part of Baja in 25 years, so I don't know what to expect. We may do some backtracking, take a detour, etc., but I am confident we'll get there. If we get there early in the day, we can discuss options for the afternoon. And if someone knows the area, please come and lead for that day.

Hotel is $71 for a double. BTW, don't book it before I get a chance to call.

http://www.expedia.com/San-Quintin-Hotels-Hotel-Mision-Santa-Maria.h2130911.Hotel-Information?chkin=07%2F09%2F2015&chkout=07%2F12%2F2015

Day 3: San Quintin to Valle de la Trinidad. Approx 100 miles.

Note: Again, this is new territory for me, but I'll figure out a route. I'll be looking for a varied route, but expect riding through ranches on questionable roads, not unlike Day 1.

Hotel: I just stayed there, and I paid $60 for a room with three beds, so assume $50 for a double. It's the new hotel in town. It's cheap and clean, they have air conditioning, cable TV with some English channels, etc. It's as good as a Motel 6. I have their card at home and will call to confirm. (I am Seattle all week, so hard to some of this on the road.)

Day 4: Valle T to Tecate. Depending on how we're feeling, we can make it an easy day, or we can do the goat trail.

Because it's Labor Day, I am going to make reservations for four rooms. My bro and I will be sharing one, so I am going to let you guys figure out rooming. My thinking is each room has two beds, but some guys may want their own room (there are no hookers where we're going, so don't get all excited). So we will have no more than 8 guys, which is about as big I want to get.

Riding style. I have two Baja videos on YouTube that cover a lot of this trip. From them you can gauge my speed, terrain we'll ride, etc. Same username as SDAR. And no, I don't get paid from them.

We will meet at the parking lot on the hill behind the gas station on the US side of Tecate. $5/day per stall, so a trailer costs double. I want to cross the border by 8.00am, Friday, so I will be at the lot by 7.00am. We'll shoot to be back in Tecate around 2.00pm, Monday.

I got a question about what we'll do in an emergency, either medical or mechanical breakdown. If we are riding at brisk but sane pace, we shouldn't have any problems. That said, I carry a SPOT for peace of mind, but I wouldn't rely on it.

If it's mechanical, and we are remote, we'll go find someone with a pick up truck who will glad take the fare. But unless you are running Rotella oil, or Dunlop tires, you shouldn't have any mechanical issues.

If it's medical, we'll do what we have to. My attitude is if you're not bleeding you're not hurt. Bring Advil! But there is good care down there...my daughter was born there, so I have seen the inside of their hospital and I was 100% comfortable with the facilities.

I know this was a lot to read, but it's kind of a big undertaking. I really am a no man left behind kind of guy, so I wanted to set expectations. I also want to have a phone call with anyone who's going at least a week before we leave.

Looks like a career move to ride organizer

If it goes well I should start a business off of it. If we lose someone I can just close my account and re-register as a new user.

@bajarim, please post if you are open to sharing a room with someone, or want your own.

Trail conditions - got back yesterday and the northern 15 miles or so of Compadre have been freshly graded and is like a freeway. Ruts and rocks are gone and it's done to the hard pan. It's now more boring then ever.

The northern (easy) part of the Ojos to Urapan has also been graded however it's loose silty dirt and almost like riding in sand. The rest of the trail is not whooped out.

They are actively grading both areas now so watch out for heavy equipment when coming around blind corners in your lane. We had a close call with dump trucks and an excavator on Compadre.

The trail along the coast below Cals to Colonet is whooped in sections from the race but not bad.

Also the 500 did not go past Mikes (first time?) this year so no issues there.

If rooms are available I like my own.

I am glad you chose El Palomar, nice place, great food.

I also love Acambaro just North of the hotel where the race

Course meets the pavement.

Check out the Old Mill in San Quintin,

Great place to stay, nice resturaunt next door and Jardines another Awesome place to eat, and or stay that is really close.

Jim

Take a look at Celito Lindo in San Quintin - it right next next to the Santa Maria

Honestly I think the rooms are nicer the foods definitely better and the bar its second to none in the area

and its 1/2 the price

.... just found out my wife booked a plane trip to visit her family so I'm DEFINITELY going.

I'm happy to share a room and I don't snore.... as far as I know.

@riggerdan, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

For those of you confirmed and interested in sharing a room, please work that out amongst yourselves, and then post something like Dan and Bob are sharing one room.

Sounds like a blast of a ride and I plan to make it. Fine sharing room with non-snorer. Watched some of your baja youtubes, Jim...great stuff! The spoiler could be a potential business trip for work but I'll start working on that now. Fingers crossed!

@riggerdan, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

For those of you confirmed and interested in sharing a room, please work that out amongst yourselves, and then post something like Dan and Bob are sharing one room.

Sounds like you are already shirking your "tour guide" duties.... :)