RP415

KTM EXC 500 best/first mods?

Hey all you EXC guys,

Just bought a brand new 2015 EXC 500 last night. What are the best mods, and what are the first mods you guys think are a must? Already got the factory skidplate. Im a motocross guy so any tips on setting up a dual sport help!

I was in your shoes three months ago, and I already have 1,700 miles on mine...90% dirt! It's an awesome bike out of the crate, but it can be made better. I have done the following, in order of value (to me):

Suspension. I am short and fat, so I had it lowered two inches, new springs and re-valved. Best money I have spent.

Seat. I started with an Enduro Engineering seat, which I liked well enough, but switched to a Fisher "Big Fish" seat. Everyone who sees it comments on how comfy it looks...and it is. I have done a couple of 200+ mile days and felt great.

Bigger tank. I do a lot of Baja riding, and finding gas can be a paid, so I put on a 4 gal Acerbis tank. 200 miles of range, and solid radiator protection.

Tubliss. No pinch flats, and you can fix a flat with a regular tire plug. I also added Slime, and haven't had a flat despite running low pressure and banging away on rocks and roots.

Rekluse EXP3.0. This thing is amazing and lets me ride up crap I would never do with a standard clutch.

Double Take Mirror. Very cool mirror that actually allows you to see behind you.

Rekluse Left Hand Rear Brake. I am installing this today, but all of my friends who have this swear by it. I'll be able to comment after tomorrow's ride.

Scotts Damper. This was a luxury item, and except for deep sand and whoops, I don't really see a benefit.

I have also dropped the gearing to 14/48, but that depends on your type of riding. I can still hit 90+ MPH on the dry lake beds in Baja, but it's way easier to ride in the twisties. That said, I am likely going back to the stock 15 counter as it feels a tad too low. I think that's due to the Rekluse as it tends to want you to ride in one gear higher than you normally would.

For tires, I am running the Maxxis Desert IT's and they are wearing like iron. I have 1,100 miles on the rear and I think I can get another 500 out of it. I liked the stock Metz ISDE tire's grip, but I wore the rear out after 650 miles.

I am done with the set up. I have spent way too much money on this thing, but I LOVE it. I am thinking about Evans coolant, but I need to ride a few really hot days to see if it's worth it.

I am riding tomorrow at Corral Canyon if you want to see my set up, chat, etc.

Wow awesome advice Jim! Thanks alot, I will be looking into all this stuff. As for the steering dampener, that is something I was really looking into because I was getting front end shake around 60mph on the road. Have you had this happen? Gonna pass on Corral tomorrow, still need to break in motor before I do a long day of riding. But next time I would love to come ride and see your set up!

Air pressure and stock tires is probably why your getting front end shake scotts won't really help with wobble or shake, designed more for hard hits when going at speed that jar the steering

Remove the stock exhaust and add an FMF or similar aftermarket pipe. Pretty decent weight reduction and opens it up a bit.

Wow awesome advice Jim! Thanks alot, I will be looking into all this stuff. As for the steering dampener, that is something I was really looking into because I was getting front end shake around 60mph on the road. Have you had this happen? Gonna pass on Corral tomorrow, still need to break in motor before I do a long day of riding. But next time I would love to come ride and see your set up!

Balance your front wheel......

I'd recommend GPR over Scott's if you go that route....

Yes, balance your wheels...I do front and rear. These are the weights I use:

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Spoke_Weights_p/wt-spoke14.htm

I can cruise at 75mph and it's smooth as silk.

The Scotts (or whatever brand you choose) will help if you're on the freeway with rain grooves. I found the bike spooky to ride on the freeway without it. But now I just crank it up and it's fixed the hunting from the knobs.

I personally haven't read much re: the 500, but Dave at http://bestdualsportbikes.com/ has done a lot of work with the 500 over the past 3 years or so. If nothing else, some good ideas and food for thought... I've done a number of the mods Dave has discussed related to the 350 and am very happy with the results.

Chilly White wrote 3 reviews on the 2012 EXC 500. Might be some useful information there... http://www.enduro360.com/2012/02/15/products-tested/2012-ktm-500exc-review/ . He also reviewed the '14 450. Some of the observations there are probably applicable to the 500...

Good luck! Haven't heard of anyone that's not super-stoked about that bike!

Forgot to ask...what about de-smogging the bike? Anybody done this, do you also need to re-map computer?

On Dave's http://bestdualsportbikes.com/ page, there is a full write up with photos on how to make "emissions adjustments." He sells a kit to make the changes. My guess is there is a number of YouTube vids on the subject as well.

I had the emissions system validated at one of the dealers along with the addition of the FMF pipe.

Came home with some extra parts in a bag that apparently weren't needed . . .

The popping on deceleration was cleared up, and the throttle response off idle and at low throttle openings was much improved.

Between the pipe, validation, and addition of a KTM power parts rear disk guard, I think I spent around $800.

Disk guard came back from Big Bear with a few scratches on it but rear disk was fine :)

On Dave's http://bestdualsportbikes.com/ page, there is a full write up with photos on how to make "emissions adjustments." He sells a kit to make the changes. My guess is there is a number of YouTube vids on the subject as well.

I had the emissions system validated at one of the dealers along with the addition of the FMF pipe.

Came home with some extra parts in a bag that apparently weren't needed . . .

The popping on deceleration was cleared up, and the throttle response off idle and at low throttle openings was much improved.

Between the pipe, validation, and addition of a KTM power parts rear disk guard, I think I spent around $800.

Disk guard came back from Big Bear with a few scratches on it but rear disk was fine :)

Awesome thanks for the help guys! There is a million things I want to do to it but I'm fighting the WANT vs NEED after dropping this much on a bike! These replies have given me a great starting point. Thanks!

RP415- everybody will agree with you. Spending THAT much on a toy, all the "other things" turn into want vs need... hard enough to justify on a DRZ or KLR, it must really sting on a $10,000 dirt bike.

I'm waiting to see the longevity of the bike after 5 years, 30,000 miles... the bikes really haul the mail, and other than the gawdawful color, sexy

Read this thread in KTM Talk.

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?474303-INDEX-PAGE-for-Building-the-Perfect-quot-Wee-Beasty-quot-(2012-350-EXC-F-(-quot-E-Ticket-quot-))

It's for the 350 but much of it is applicable to the 500 as both share the same chassis. Be forewarned it's long but a wealth of knowledge. Personally first things I would do are skid plate (looks like you have that covered), de-smog, remap the ecu, handguards, re-gear (though on the 500 that may not be as big a deal) and seat. Loose the stock mirrors right away. I went with the aforementioned Double Take mirror. Nice piece. Take a look at Seat Concepts for the seat. I have the Acerbis 3 gal tank which is good for 120 + miles on the 350. The 4.0 came out later and if I had to do it again I might go that route. Really depends on what kind of riding you expect to do. Also not sure if the 500 comes with a fan but if not it's a very worthy addition as well.

My 350 EXCF has been desmogged, new pipe, and has remapped by the PO and has a fuel programmer. Was professionally done, but is still not 100%. If it hadn't been done already, I probably just would have stuck with changing out the pipe and left it as is. Opened up a can of worms.

My 350 EXCF has been desmogged, new pipe, and has remapped by the PO and has a fuel programmer. Was professionally done, but is still not 100%. If it hadn't been done already, I probably just would have stuck with changing out the pipe and left it as is. Opened up a can of worms.

Remapped and a fuel programmer? Wow! I've never heard of anyone doing both and probably where the can of worms came from. What map did they reprogram it with? You need to do some change from stock as it comes jetted very lean to meet street emissions and the bike will run very hot\overheat easily in stock form. My bike has the '14 EU XCFW map with the stock pipe and I'm pretty happy. Runs cleaner bottom to top than any carburated bike I've ever owned.

Yep, both....the PO wanted to be able to make on the fly adjustments after the remapping for changes in altitude/riding conditions. My thought was not needed since the altitude changes would have to be pretty drastic. It actually runs okay after I figured it out, but it is hard to know where your baseline is/was.

I was up at KTM Escondido buying some new hand guards to accommodate my new Rekluse LHRB (when does it end!?!?!), and Jim (the owner) confirmed I have wasted thousands of dollars on accessories, tools, etc. All I really needed to have the perfect bike was a small sticker known to many of you.

As a noob, I was unaware this talisman would eliminate flats, running out of gas, mechanical issues of all sorts, and even give a boost in confidence to get up otherwise impossible trails. Damn it!

He gave me three, so I have two for sale or trade. If you're riding Corral tomorrow, come prepared for some horse trading.

post-15897-0-58280700-1435879779_thumb.j

Yep, both....the PO wanted to be able to make on the fly adjustments after the remapping for changes in altitude/riding conditions. My thought was not needed since the altitude changes would have to be pretty drastic. It actually runs okay after I figured it out, but it is hard to know where your baseline is/was.

Probably overkill to have both. I've ridden mine from sea level to 9000' with no changes. Even though it's not closed loop it still has a MAP sensor so pretty much adjusts itself. Glad you got it sorted out.

RP415- everybody will agree with you. Spending THAT much on a toy, all the "other things" turn into want vs need... hard enough to justify on a DRZ or KLR, it must really sting on a $10,000 dirt bike.

I'm waiting to see the longevity of the bike after 5 years, 30,000 miles... the bikes really haul the mail, and other than the gawdawful color, sexy

I like the color

Handguards, radiator guards, skidplate, sharkfin, better seat. Tank if you need the range (will require desmog in order to fit), heavy duty tubes, The headlight sucks if you ride at night, so maybe spring for a Baja Designs replacement if you do. For protective stuff, I think Bullet Proof Designs makes the coolest stuff.

First off this bike is Amazing, so happy with my choice! I've put 180 miles on her so far and loving it. Current mods - 14/48 gearing, rear fender eliminator kit with integrated turn signals, new grips, de-smogged motor. Parts on order - swing arm protectors, rear shark fin, high flow air filter cage, mud flap (already burned mine up). Taking her in for a re-map at dealer next week. Planned mods - lower seat, steering stabilizer, hand guards, double take mirror, new rear tire (stock is half gone already), rekluse clutch, LED headlight. Im sure there is much more to come also...$$$ ouch!

Did a fun ride yesterday from Escondido up to Ramona, hit some fun trails and fire roads, grabbed lunch and headed home. I see how everyone is so addicted to dual sport rides, it really opens up a whole new world of riding!!

after riding technical stuff today im thinking rekluse also. I have the Cyclops led headlight on my 350 and works really well especially for only $60, fitment was little weird but nothing too crazy

I cannot heap enough praise on the Rekluse. There are different versions, but I bought the full kit (Core EXP 3.0). I added the LHRB this week, and it was priceless at Corral on the gnarly, rutted down hills.

With new Cycra hand guards (I needed more clearance than my Acerbis ones), I am at $1,300 for the entire system. But man is it smooth, and I rode up crap I would have never made before!