Sign in to follow this  
TrophyHunter

Upper plastic and radiator guards - Tiger 800 XCx

The stock lower protection for the XCx is great but offers nothing for the upper part of the bike. The aftermarket one's require removal of the stock lower protection and don't offer the same level below after install. What to do..............

Well, just got back from Nomadic Racks with the new guards. I didn't want anything welded to the stock lower protection in case I wanted to work on the upper part of the bike. I'd been around Justin's shop before and he showed me some split collars he used on other projects so I ordered some.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#2380k24/=xv7305 <-- like these but I paid $7 per....will post link if I can find it.

Anyway, we discussed stress points and I provided him with pics from a variety of suppliers to get ideas from. Justin asked about maintaining the bikes look and splicing the upper front to go with the angle of the plastics. We agreed on attaching to the lower and using the stress points on the stock lower to eliminate flex if needed. He also followed the lines of the bike with cross bars for the most part.

So here they are. Yes, the angle in the front will most likely dig in if laid down but so will a lot of other parts on the bike. I like 'em.

DSCN1945_zpsgdw2jsjm.jpg

Justin left enough room for a little flex.
DSCN1939_zps8q3xnzf2.jpg

DSCN1937_zpsd7pyvyea.jpg

Couple of mm's 'tween the stock lower and the newly attached guard.
DSCN1940_zpsbwgsfxop.jpg

The vertical posts are aligned with the stock horizontal stress points.
DSCN1951_zpsushcavka.jpg

Common tie in point for many guards/sliders. Justin used different length standoffs behind the tab as each side is different. No - the bolt head does not hit my knee. I installed the Triumph frame protectors a few days ago.
DSCN1947_zpsoyx6h1lq.jpg

Ken - Those turned out great! :thumbsup_anim: Nicely done!

Justin deserves all the credit. It may not look like it, but there are some tough precision bends in there. Now for some dirt!

Thx Chris.