What are all the things I need to be able to replace a tube on my bike, beyond what I have listed below:

(1) tools to get wheel off bike

(2) spare tube

(3) tire iron

(4) co2

Apologize in advance if this is perfectly addressed somewhere already, I looked for a it then gave up. Thanks.

good riding buddies... that's all you need

and two minimum (3 preferred) irons. Try to get a back up inflation device too... I had two CO2 inflators on the last ride, and one crapped out. I also like scabs for patches... really easy, if you should fail and pinch your new tube you just installed... not that that has ever happened *cough* to me

You might want to consider a CO2 inflator that also includes an integrated hand pump.

Most of the hand pumps are able to add that additional small amount of air to "top off" your tire, and should you run out of cartridges, you can always pump it by hand, but it will take some time!.

You might want to consider a CO2 inflator that also includes an integrated hand pump.

Most of the hand pumps are able to add that additional small amount of air to "top off" your tire, and should you run out of cartridges, you can always pump it by hand, but it will take some time!.

that's what I meant by secondary... by the way; both of mine double as hand pumps, but one of them completely failed

You've covered the minimum, especially for 1-2 day rides.

You'd likely need more than one tire iron; 2 minimum?

The rest is just comfort stuff (stem puller, windex/lube, patch glue).

Change a tire in your garage just with the tools you plan to use on the trail. That'll help.

Dido on Dan diego when I do basic maintance or tire stuff I also use the tools I have in my bike you'll be surprised how many little things you'll start to add to ur tool pack plus the practice cause when it's 90's out and u have to fix a flat ull be glad you practice with ur small irons and basic tools in your garage and how accustomed you get to it.

oh yeah... motion pro makes really light wrenches/tire irons... I only carry two; If I need a third, I also carry a crescent wrench I can use as the third "hold in place" tire iron.

and yes, as the two rocket surgeons above mentioned, get your regular backpack tools together and use those in the garage. You'll quickly find out what you're missing

I always (unless I forgot to switch it between backpacks) carry a small mountain bike tire pump. Have been on rides where the CO2 inflator didn't work right and the hand pump was a handy backup.

Fender bag with spare tube (front), combo wrench/tire irons (2), CO2 kit with scab patches and glue.

I also had a CO2 inflator fail on me, so I just carry the mountain bike pump with me now.

If your'e getting started, Rocky Mountain MC has a fender bag that comes with two tire irons for about $15. The tire irons are not anywhere close to as nice as Motion Pro but I've used them and they work. So with that, a light duty front tube, pump and a few wrenches you'd have the basics. Oh, I've picked up the axle wrenches at Rocky Mountain as well, but you can just carry a cheap crescent wrench if you want.

Meatmord

I have a nail sticking out of my back tire on my 500

If you need some practice I can help you out :bigeyed:

- The conditions in Jamul are pretty awesome for July 1

Here's a few items I carry in my Wolfman Saddle Bags...

Spoons...the more, the merrier...

1%20Spoons_zpseovdrco2.jpg

The two smaller spoons have "lips" on the ends to help prevent tube damage

2%20Spoons_zpscuymh0fg.jpg

An extra valve core, a metal stem cap with valve core remover tip and extra stem nut. The reason I carry these is because a few people (to remain nameless here but, you know who you are) mange to lose them in the dirt/sand when they are working on their tubes and then they are "hosed"

3%20Valve%20Stem_zpsyhf7kxye.jpg

This little pump is bada$$. It plugs into your battery tender pigtail wire. Compact, light and lots of "ummph" Crawdaddy turned me onto this baby in Baja

4%20Electric%20Pump_zpscaachpnz.jpg

Patches, rubber cement and sand paper

5%20Patch%20Stuff_zpsd5epeesp.jpg

C02 as back-up for the electric pump

6%20Co2_zpsibxie3h7.jpg

Stem fishing tool makes life a little easier

7%20Stem%20Tool_zpsbjbzb9kd.jpg

I carry two tubes on some rides, an 18" and a 21". On most rides just a 21" because you can use it front or rear

8%20Tubes_zpsfbeejeim.jpg

Last resort...heavy duty ZIP ties. You won't get anywhere fast but, you can still get there on a flat

9%20Zip%20Ties_zpsaxoibobj.jpg

+1 on ditching the CO2 inflator. Just buy an inexpensive bicycle pump. Employ the KISS principle to riding and a hand pump is simple and effective and I've never seen one fail yet. I've seen many CO2 pumps fail.

"When preparing for a ride pack the minimum you think you'll need then ditch half of it. The more you carry with you the more you'll need to carry with you." - Motorcyclejazz.com

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22569674&postcount=2

Thx D4L..... good reminder. Even if you have a rim lock, zip ties will probably be needed. Also, if you use a pump, ya need the battery tender pigtail (or whatever elec access works) to run it. I carry an elec & hand pump on the big bike, hand only on the WR.

The Motion Pro spoons with wrench for the axle nut are worth the $$ IMO.....but yeah, a luxury.

I also carry MP bead breaker tire irons.....especially after trying to break the bead on a DR650 rear flat trailside. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/53948/i/motion-pro-tire-bead-breaker-levers

Out in Moab several years ago. Two CO2 inflators and neither of them worked. Mountain bike pump worked just fine.

Here's a few items I carry in my Wolfman Saddle Bags...

Spoons...the more, the merrier...

1%20Spoons_zpseovdrco2.jpg

The two smaller spoons have "lips" on the ends to help prevent tube damage

2%20Spoons_zpscuymh0fg.jpg

An extra valve core, a metal stem cap with valve core remover tip and extra stem nut. The reason I carry these is because a few people (to remain nameless here but, you know who you are) mange to lose them in the dirt/sand when they are working on their tubes and then they are "hosed"

3%20Valve%20Stem_zpsyhf7kxye.jpg

This little pump is bada$$. It plugs into your battery tender pigtail wire. Compact, light and lots of "ummph" Crawdaddy turned me onto this baby in Baja

4%20Electric%20Pump_zpscaachpnz.jpg

Patches, rubber cement and sand paper

5%20Patch%20Stuff_zpsd5epeesp.jpg

C02 as back-up for the electric pump

6%20Co2_zpsibxie3h7.jpg

Stem fishing tool makes life a little easier

7%20Stem%20Tool_zpsbjbzb9kd.jpg

I carry two tubes on some rides, an 18" and a 21". On most rides just a 21" because you can use it front or rear

8%20Tubes_zpsfbeejeim.jpg

Last resort...heavy duty ZIP ties. You won't get anywhere fast but, you can still get there on a flat

9%20Zip%20Ties_zpsaxoibobj.jpg

Yes! Visuals seriously helpful.

Out in Moab several years ago. Two CO2 inflators and neither of them worked. Mountain bike pump worked just fine.

Classic line, "you have good form, you've done that before..." Ha! :lmaosmiley:

@dress4less, that tube of patch glue looks it might have been used once. If it has, get a new one now. Once you crack the seal it tends to harden... my brother learned that the hard way.

I carry way too many tire tools because I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with someone else who is unprepared. That said, I use Tubliss and carry a can of fix-a-flat.

I just travel light and have my gf come get me in her truck if I get a flat.

Zip ties for sure zip it back on the wheel and go.

And i Always plan on staying the night where ever I ride

( just in case the zip tie thing doesnt work out, or theres no cell reception).

If you have one of these on your bike - you don't have to worry about flats......

15995995866_d965dea9de_b.jpg

@dress4less, that tube of patch glue looks it might have been used once. If it has, get a new one now. Once you crack the seal it tends to harden... my brother learned that the hard way.

I carry way too many tire tools because I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with someone else who is unprepared. That said, I use Tubliss and carry a can of fix-a-flat.

Roger that...

.........get a new one now. Once you crack the seal it tends to harden... my brother learned that the hard way.

That's just one of the reasons I got divorced ~20+ years ago :coolio::heh::smile_anim:

.........get a new one now. Once you crack the seal it tends to harden... my brother learned that the hard way.

That's just one of the reasons I got divorced ~20+ years ago :coolio::heh::smile_anim:

LOL