Bluhdow

First Dual-Sport

Okay, you've seen this post 1000 times before so I apologize. I'm just digging into my DS research and figure it never hurts to ask. We're all looking for the do-it-all bike with no maintenance, low cost, and stellar performance but here are the factors that I'm considering during my search:

1. I come from a motocross background. I'd love to just plate a CRF250, but y'all know that isn't happening around here.

2. That said, I'm interested in something that is as close to a pure dirt bike as possible, with low weight being important. I myself only weigh 165 lbs. so I don't need huge horsepower to pull me around.

3. I'd like it to be fully street legal. Totally legit. No loopholes, no gray areas. When I'm pulled over I don't want to have a legal debate with the CHP.

4. Intended use is going to be mixed (naturally). My main plan is to ride to the local trails/fire roads and tool around before riding back home, but it would be nice to ride in to work on Fridays and jam around town a little bit. It's not going to be a daily driver though. Dirt performance is more important than street performance.

5. High maintenance and expensive-to-maintain is out for me. I hear the high-end KTM bikes are gorgeous, but require more time, attention, and money from a maintenance standpoint. I'm also curious about Husky. Am I correct in assuming they are similar in this respect?

6. Looking for a used bike, $2000-$5000 range. Electric start is important and it needs all the street-legal prerequisites.

Here's what I'm thinking about (in no particular order):

1. DR-Z400. Seems like the default option in this space. My only concern is it's a little on the heavy side. Other than that it could be a perfect fit.

2. WR-250R. My only concern here is that it's a little under-powered. If I could find one with all the extras already on it (header, exhaust, intake, etc.) I'd be interested. But buying a new one and adding all the normal extras is too expensive.

3. KLX 400 SR. Basically the same as the DRZ.

What else should I be considering? What KTM model would fall into the same space?

Lastly, I live in Encinitas so any info on nearby (or at least the most nearby) rides would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

WR-250R. My only concern here is that it's a little under-powered. If I could find one with all the extras already on it (header, exhaust, intake, etc.) I'd be interested. But buying a new one and adding all the normal extras is too expensive.

I put a 290 kit on one and blew it up by running it too lean with the fuel programmer............in hindsight, perhaps I should NOT have screwed around with engine mods/fuel programmer..........a bit porky and lousy stock suspension.......but plenty enough power for most Dualsport applications if you just gear it low and down shift and/or rev it when you want some punch........stock engine/fuel programming can handle the high RPMS......

I really liked my WR250R.....I'd likely still have it if I hadn't screwed around with fuel programming/engine mods........that said, it's not even in the same ballpark as my 2012 KTM 350F-XCW.......but newer orange entry = $$$

What else should I be considering? What KTM model would fall into the same space?

My 2012 KTM 350F-XCW is the best "all rounder" I've owned for "my" application (Mellow/slow trail riding with occasional technical crap) ......light and nimble..........

2002 KTM 400EXC was under powered/boring

2002 KTM 520 wasn't reliable

1998 KTM 620 was a paint can shaker.......

I have a friend in Ramona looking to unload a 2004 KTM 450 EXC with a plate.....not a "factory" plate but it'll be fine and it can be had at a good price.........it's just been sitting in his shed for years......probably needs a good carb cleaning/new battery.....also needs a Seat Concepts seat to replace the stock 2X4 seat......PM "SnailDarter" on SDAR for more info/price......

Just read this: it would be nice to ride in to work on Fridays and jam around town a little bit.

You'd be best served by sticking with a WR250R or DRZ for this application.....this is NOT the mission statement for an older KTM 450/520/525....

WR250R will likely cost you a bit more than the DRZ but "I" think the 6th gear/fuel injection make it worthwhile....

Another bike to consider is the Honda 250L.......porky/lousy suspension.......but available NEW in your price range, fully street legal from the factory, and it's a Honda (reliable/low maintenance)........I have a couple of friends who really enjoy them.....but they're both ~<175lbs and not demanding on the engine/terrain..............that might be a tougher sell for you if you're used to motocross snap and ride more aggressively.......

Thank you!

I think you're right. DRZ or WRR is the way to go. I've looked into the Honda but, as you've suggested, I'm afraid it's going to disappoint me the first time I try to ride it in the dirt like I'm used to. New isn't a priority for me. In fact, I'm much more interested in a moderately used setup in order to save the extra cash for some new gear. I haven't owned a bike in about 10 years so it's time for me to buy all new armor.

So it sounds like I'm looking in all the right places. DRZ, KLX, WRR.

The DRZ/KLX only weighs about 25 pounds more than the WRR, but with a much larger engine. Is your experience that the DRZ will be materially more snappy in the trails? Or is the weight enough to offset whatever gains are made by the engine?

Lastly, I live in Encinitas so any info on nearby (or at least the most nearby) rides would be very appreciated.

I'm in Encinitas too, and I'm fairly/totally certain that the closest public/legal true dirt riding is at the Pine Valley cul-de-sac on the 8... one hour 25 minutes away. One of the motocross tracks may be a little closer to us, though. Please let me know if I'm wrong...

That's a bit of a haul. It looks like there are rides in Ramona and there must be more towards Escondido, Temecula, Bonsall, etc.

In any case, I'll need a bike that isn't totally out of it's element on an hour-long ride TO the trails before I get to play.

Thank you!

The DRZ/KLX only weighs about 25 pounds more than the WRR, but with a much larger engine. Is your experience that the DRZ will be materially more snappy in the trails? Or is the weight enough to offset whatever gains are made by the engine?

I've never owned a DRZ.....but I've ridden them......."to me" the DRZ felt bigger/bulkier.......the WRR carries the weight down low......once you bang the throttle (hard) it "feels" lighter than it is and it'll get about just fine on the trails.......DRZ vs. WRR is an easy decision for me.....WRR hands down.......but I'm admittedly biased.....

The stock handlebars on the WRR belong on a Schwinn Sting Ray (wimpy) and the stock gas tank is stoooopid small. So buying a used one makes good sense......find someone who has already changed the bars, removed the carbon can in favor of a skid plate, added a desert tank, bark busters, etc......

Even though I love my 350F-XCW, I miss my WRR

IMAG1390-1.jpg

I've ridden a DRZ for 10 years and a DR350 for 10 years before that...the WR250R is for little girls that want streamers on the handlebars and a basket for stuffed animals in front of the headlight

Ok- seriously...the 6 speeds on the WRR makes it pretty good for commuting. "feels" lighter than the drz...the DRZ never feels too heavy to me, and I do some technical stuff on it. Surprisingly, the stock gearing I've just returned to is better than I though...freeway possible, singletrack doable. An FCR is my next purchase...looking for snappier throttle response. DRZ seems a good fit for taller guys

I'm in Encinitas too, and I'm fairly/totally certain that the closest public/legal true dirt riding is at the Pine Valley cul-de-sac on the 8... one hour 25 minutes away. One of the motocross tracks may be a little closer to us, though. Please let me know if I'm wrong...

You can get to Nate Harrison in less than an hour from Encinitas, not to mention coming up to Temecula. With a plate there are tons of places to ride within an hour of Encinitas.

Based on your listed requirements and background, I say you have two options. The Honda 250L (less than 5k brand new) or the Yamaha WR250. Both meet all your criteria and are good MX based platforms. The DR is not, and never will be, an MX based bike. So if you want that feel you are used to, go Yamaha or Honda. Both would be quite worthy desert assassins too. From there, if you stick to the sport, work your way up to a KTM 350XCF.

The 250L and WRR are not MX-based any more than the DRZ is...the 250X and WRF are dirt-based, that's true. Again; I may be DRZ biased, but I can't put the 250L in front of the DRZ. I could make a case for the WRR in front of the DRZ, though

post-122-0-81256700-1435640758_thumb.jpg

Oh...ive jumped a V Strom too, and they land like a ton of bricks. The DRZ is worthy of inclusion (with the 250L and WRR) not because it's a motocrosser (neither are the others), but because with stock gearing, it can ride from Encinitas to Corral Canyon, ride Ranger the hard way, stop by the Otay MX track on the way home and you won't hate it. I've ridden Ranger (part of it) with a guy on a 250L. It sits much lower and was bouncing off rocks right and left. I've never ridden Ranger with anybody on a WRR, but they definitely sit higher. The DRZ, once you get past the weight, does everything ok. Truth is, it's dated, and was never cutting edge to begin with; a six speed would make it better everywhere. In the OP's pricepoint, the DRZ is worthy of discussion. The Strom isn't. Most modern bikes don't fit his criteria on price/plate/reliability

This thread is great, thank you!

How is the WRR vs. DRZ from a maintenance standpoint? I've heard the DRZ is very low-maintenance, can the same be said for the WRR?

At this point, it sounds like it will come down to availability for me. Like I said above, I'd take an already-built WRR if I can find one. But I don't want to buy a stock rig just to add another $2000 in parts to give it some balls. The DRZ seems to be more ample in supply.

Any particular years/models that might be a little lighter on the DRZ side?

Anyone selling anything sexy in my price range? :)

Looking to buy in the next few weeks. I'm out of the country until the end of July, then it's game on! Hoping to catch up with some north county locals to get some rides in.

Thank you again for the participation in this thread. It's been very helpful!

You said "totally, no grey area, street legal"...the DRZS got a better fork in 2005 I think. The DRZ dirt model with electric start already had this fork, and I think the better FCR carb. Huge difference but technically a grey area for street. The WRR is just as, if not moreso, trouble-free as the DRZ. Fuel injection vs a crappy CV carb that gets gunked up on ehtanol-laced fuel WAY too often. Easier to find used DRZs on the market in your price range. WRR guys that "trade up" are usually looking for more power. A DRZ "can" be made powerful, but it's more money than the used bike you start with. NEITHER will be a monster on the trails. Get a bike, ride the bike, upgrade the bike after you know what you want. My "modern" dirtbike history: XT600, KLR650, KX500 with a plate!, DR350, WR250F, WR450F, XR650L, and DRZ. Good luck on your search

I've ridden a DRZ for 10 years and a DR350 for 10 years before that...the WR250R is for little girls that want streamers on the handlebars and a basket for stuffed animals in front of the headlight

You crack me up.

post-15323-0-33898200-1435681086.jpg

My buddy found a really clean xr440 through this group. He's from an MX and he's having a lot of fun with the Honda.

An XR is a great bike...kick only is the main downfall. Stalling halfway up 3A, and trying to kick a flooded kicker ruins your day

For anybody that thinks a DRZ is porky...ride a KLR on singletrack for a while...DRZ feels downright nimble after

I guess the question is then, does a WR feel "downright nimble" compared to a DRZ?

I doubt it especially when the going gets slow. Drz does great in decently tight and nasty stuff, just keep it on 2 wheels and feels surprisingly nimble when I've dropped mine couple times repeatedly that's when it gets little heavy.

I guess the question is then, does a WR feel "downright nimble" compared to a DRZ?

Neither of these bikes qualify for a "nimble" rating........you'll need to drink the Orange Koolaide for that sensation :heh::coolio:

There are SDAR members who own both DRZs and WRRs .......bring'em a six pack and test ride each......

There are SDAR members who own both DRZs and WRRs .......bring'em a six pack and test ride each......

really? Who? I'm hesitant to let somebody ride my DRZ only because the carb is acting up off idle. My handlebars are also set up for an orangutan... But you WILL get a feel for the weight of the bike.

Going from my DRZ to my WR250F (note the EFF), and the WRF felt like a mountain bike... I have never jumped that far on a dirtbike before and it landed smooth as silk.

I agree with crawdaddy... if you want nimble and a plate, you need to go orange and consider "grey areas" for plate assignment.

I know of a sweet az plate 300 2 stroke that's about to be listed. It's within your budget and is the definition of downright nimble. It won't cruise long distances, however. Completely set up and ready to ride.