danrider

Suspension 101 Does Rims

George not only can help you with your Suspension he can help you with rims and lace them for you.

At the end of April Diego and I took off to do the AZBDR, On the day I biffed it and broke my ribs, about two and half hours before the crash Diego and I went through what I would call a rock garden that went on for miles, I was getting pissed because I thought it would never end(if you do the AZBDR I would work around the section). Going through the rock garden I damaged the front rim on my bike. That said when I was home mending I sent George a post and asked him if he could help me with my rim. I thought I would get an Excel front rim with new spokes. He recommended that I get the Buchana/Sun Rim with nickel plated spoke nipples (so they will not freeze in the cold). Because of the weight of the BMW 800 he highly recommended the Sun Rim, because a higher end rim.

He was nice enough to stop by my home and take off my front tire and take it with him to do the repair, because I could not take it off yet because of my cracked ribs. When I picked up the rim the tire was mounted and looked true, but i notice that no weights where on the rim to balance the tire. No big deal, i stopped by the BMW shop in escondido, and asked the guys if they would balance the tire. I was watching the tech balancing the tire and he told me no need to balance it, that rim is straighter than a arrow, and who ever laced the rim knows his stuff. The old rim had weights on it and I put the same tire back on the new rim.

Thank's George!

post-13882-0-64198300-1434000499_thumb.j

George did my 525 rims perfectly and very reasonable!

" When I picked up the rim the tire was mounted and looked true, but i notice that no weights where on the rim to balance the tire. No big deal, i stopped by the BMW shop in escondido, and asked the guys if they would balance the tire. I was watching the tech balancing the tire and he told me no need to balance it, that rim is straighter than arrow, and who ever laced the rim knows his stuff."

Adding balancing weights should hopefully never have to be to compensate for a poorly laced wheel. Balancing weights compensate for tire carcass overlap, rim lock weights and discrepancies in the density of the rim material.

" When I picked up the rim the tire was mounted and looked true, but i notice that no weights where on the rim to balance the tire. No big deal, i stopped by the BMW shop in escondido, and asked the guys if they would balance the tire. I was watching the tech balancing the tire and he told me no need to balance it, that rim is straighter than arrow, and who ever laced the rim knows his stuff."

Adding balancing weights should hopefully never have to be to compensate for a poorly laced wheel. Balancing weights compensate for tire carcass overlap, rim lock weights and discrepancies in the density of the rim material.

I understand what you are saying and you are right, But my factory BMW rim was not balanced at all because the same tire went back on the new rim. The old BMW rim had five weights on it to balance out the same tire, and the tire has not changed because it is almost new.. George was right by selling me a quality rim. So I added the quality rim to my post.

too much rimming in this post... Butt, I DO know George does quality work, and is anal about detail

Damn that would have been good to know about 6 months ago. I've only been up to Georges like 5 or 6 times never noticed or asked.

@bikeslut, not only does he recommend higher end rims, but he seems to know a thing or two about nipples. I may call him in January to see what he can about mine not freezing.

@bikeslut, not only does he recommend higher end rims, but he seems to know a thing or two about nipples. I may call him in January to see what he can about mine not freezing.

He is a great guy who know suspension and rims. He is very reasonable, you and I both know it is hard to find someone who knows what they are doing and are reasonably priced.

Thank you Dan,

I got lucky on this one Dan.

As most know tires have a colored dot on the light side of the tire. Yours was either faded or some tires like my recent Mitas do not have the dot. Did the best I could to get the set up as balanced as I could and when I put it back on the stand It was good to go.

99 percent of my work has been dirt bikes without balancing.

Guess I will get with the program and order some balancing weights.

By the way the rim Dan got is a Sun rim made in the U.S. by Buchanan with their stainless spokes and nickel plated nipples. (non frozen)

Speaking of frozen nipples though. Non stainless nipples were used because they do not corrode and freeze onto the spoke allowing future adjustment.

The Sun rim comes out of the box really straight.

Excel, some are straight some are not. Not far off but just a bit where they are welded together. Usually there will be a little variation after truing, but really pretty small being a couple mm.

I think we all agree that George is somewhat of a demi-god in the suspension/rim world.

And a helluva nice guy.

It'll a true pity he's a ruthless killer.

post-14554-0-99796000-1434040975_thumb.j

Ha thats funny i think i just saw that 990 at skeeters and had to take a picture

post-15045-0-88007000-1434042164_thumb.j

Hey, that's my bike!

And I'd like to print a correction. George is not, I repeat NOT, a ruthless killer.

He's a killer of the "cold blooded" variety.

Sorry for the confusion...

PS: I couldn't recommend George @ Suspension 101 and Skeeter's enough. Both are fantastic and truly do the DS community a much appreciated service.

Me too dean at skeeter does great work at his labor time not how long job pays, good guys. Plus George is awesome 3 bikes done from him one more to go.

too much rimming in this post... Butt, I DO know George does quality work, and is anal about detail

silly.