2016-Yamaha-YZ250X_Blue_S1-590x361.jpg

2016-Yamaha-YZ250X_Blue.jpg

2016-Yamaha-YZ250X-BL.jpg

YAMAHA YZ250X
This was the Big News. Yamaha pulled the sheet off a new two-stroke off-roader based on the YZ250 motocrosser. The YZ250X is designed as a pure, closed-course competition lightweight two-stroke GNCC/woods racer. Features specific to this new model include an 18-inch rear wheel, a sealed O-ring chain, a wide ratio transmission, a narrow expansion chamber, off-road-focused tires and suspension settings, plus a standard side stand and a fuel tank petcock with reserve position. The 2016 Yamaha YZ250X will be available in August, priced at $7,390.

Someone over in Japan finally figured it out. They are just missing a YZ450X.

Right up your alley huh Pasta

I love Yamaha..but they still can do more....it is super close to a YZ250 with an 18" wheel and kickstand, but its for sure a great base for a race bike but then again a YZ250 is a super good base for an offroad race bike. Glad to see the YZ250FX, WR250F and now the YZ250X join the offroad party. I love YamaHandling and this thing should be a single track weapon for sure. I wish I had those forks on my bike.

PS LOVE THAT PRICE POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to see some lighting options and factory slim desert tanks eventually too. Where does the line for one start?

That is one bad ass looking bike and I'd love to take that wide ratio 2 smoker 250 for a spin. How light is it?

That is one bad ass looking bike and I'd love to take that wide ratio 2 smoker 250 for a spin. How light is it?

Just found the specs ... only 229 lbs.

Wow - what a load of fun this bike would be.

Slap an AZ plate on that bad boy and call it a day!

YZ250X SPECIFICATIONS:

Engine Type 249cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted

Bore x Stroke 66.4mm × 72.0mm

Compression Ratio 7.9~9.4:1

Fuel Delivery Keihin® PWK38S

Ignition CDI

Transmission Constant mesh 5-speed, multiplate wet clutch

Final Drive Chain

Suspension / Front KYB® Speed-Sensitive System inverted fork; fully adjustable, 11.8-in travel

Suspension / Rear KYB® Monoshock; fully adjustable, 12.4-in travel

Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 250mm

Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 245mm

Tires / Front 90/90-21 Dunlop® AT81F

Tirres / Rear 110/100-18 Dunlop® AT81

L x W x H 86.0 in x 32.5 in x 50.8 in

Seat Height 38.2 in

Wheelbase 58.5 in

Ground Clearance 14.2 in

Fuel Economy n/a

Wet Weight 229 lb

its a YZ250 there are mega mega aftermarket availabilty of parts including lighting kits, big tanks, pipes etc etc etc

Yup that bike has been around as a motocrosser since 2004 and Yamaha easily sells each one they make every year. It will undoubtedly have more aftermarket options and tuning information than you will ever need. Just Gas Tanks has tanks in 3-4 gallon sizes. Baja Designs has DS kits. Yamaha has more GYTR accessories available than the 4 stroke YZs.

I rode in the Sierras, on tight singletrack, with a group of guys that were all 60-70+ years old. Three of them were on YZ250s that all swore they would never ride anything else. That was the first time I was in a group that had more anythings than Hondas or KTMs. Lights, tanks, stators, big bores, anything you want is available.

From Thumpertalk

Picked up a new 2016 Yamaha YZ250X the other week. When this model was announced I was somewhat curious. I've owned a few YZ250's and the thought of one tuned for off road riding was intriguing. I'm a vet intermediate rider about 6' 2" tall and 195 lbs in street clothes. I've ridden the bike on a few of my favorite off road loops and thought I'd share my observations.

The suspension settings on this bike are simple fantastic out of the box. The fork is plush and the bottoming resistance is excellent. I slowed the rebound on the shock down 2 clicks and it feels perfect. There is no harshness in the suspension. The chassis feels very balanced and the tires stay connected to the ground. The shock and fork use some stroke on the MX track but the standard settings were rideable for me. Faster and heavier guys might want to stiffen things up but the suspension is simply excellent out of the box for most riders, especially off road.

The ergos are typical of a YZ250 - a little compact. Bummed this bike did not get the (2) position rubber mounted handlebar clamps from the YZ-F's which would provide a few more ride position options. The vibration level is acceptable though it could have been even less with rubber mounted handlebar clamps. I have some MSR footpegs that are 1/2" farther back (this should help open up the ergo package a little - have not installed them yet). The seat is perfect - nice foam and grip. The front brake has good power and is easy to modulate - even though it is the standard size rotor (another part that could have been upgraded to the latest YZ-F design).

The off road focus is easy to feel in the engine. Low to mid is smooth and strong and just when you expect that typical 250 hit when the power valve opens it never arrives - just linear pull. For off road this makes the bike easier to ride and find traction. Jetting seems a touch rich in the mid but temperatures are falling quickly here in Ohio so I have not changed anything yet. Other YZ250X owners please chime in with any jetting changes that improved the bike. I have a +1T bigger rear sprocket to try - mostly so I can get into 3rd more often as I like short shifting on this bike since there is such good low to mid power. The stock gearing seems very good as the engine can lug pretty low with no stalling. For super tight riding maybe +1T would be better. The silencer has no spark arrestor but is pretty quiet.

I've been riding a lot of 4-strokes lately and it takes a few corners to get used to the quickness of the YZ250X. The YZX is light and feels light in motion and responds quickly to any inputs. The Dunlop AT81 tires have a soft overall feel. The rear works pretty good everywhere while the front is OK except in dry hard pack with loose dirt on top.

Some people might overlook the YZ250X since it does not have e-start or 6-speed but I think Yamaha is onto to something here. Simple, lightweight, focused off road engine and suspension settings all add up to a surprisingly effective off road bike. Nice to have this option! Maybe the sleeper off road bike for 2016? ride.gif

A few pics.....

More reviews here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1157671-2016-yz250x-review-sleeper-off-road-bike-of-the-2016-models/