darylhunter

Big Bear Trail Riders 2015 - who's going?

I signed up for the event this year.

It's been a while since I last rode up there, travel for work and other events conspired to keep me away.

Way out of shape and out of practice but figured I'd ride till I get tired and then call it a day.

Anyone else going?

I'm going up Friday and will be camping at the convention center. I should have a few other friends that are staying at Motel 6 across the street.

I'll be staying at the motel as well. I have to fly home a day early from Europe and on top of being out of shape will be pretty jet lagged.

I'll have as much fun as I can handle then take a break. No idea what my riding pace is going to look like but happy to try to hook up with folks and see if it works.

No worries if I'm too slow and out of shape, just leave me behind and go for it :)

Take the easy route! Last year's hard route was 11:45 for me, 8th place.

Great job on finishing V-Dog!

I'll ridden a number the hard way trails on past rides so know I'm in for some punishment. But I also know I'm too out of shape to do more than a couple of the hard sections before it's time to take a break and ride some easy stuff.

One thing that would be helpful would be a good overall map of the BB trails. It's kind of hard sometimes with just the GPS to figure out how to bail out of a hard route and take the easy way.

The goal is to start getting some more seat time, eat better, drop a few or thirty pounds, hit the gym more, and then come back next year and finish the whole ride :)

Heading up to BB for a Saturday day ride.

This will not be a "difficult ride", this is an intermediate ride, no major hills or rocks. In the desert we will encounter some sand and some whoops. About 94.4 miles total.
For the 1st track we will go counter-clockwise and start from 2N02 thru to Viscera Springs, thru Rattlesnake to the desert. For Saturday it's supposed to top out at 90F, but we will be going thru early so it will be cooler. 33.5 miles.
For the 2nd track we will then head west towards the cement factory and parallel the backside of the Lucerne/BB (San Bernadino) mountain range into Lucerne. 20.7 miles. A quick burger and gas up.
For the 3rd track we will continue heading west and go up Grapevine Canyon into the mountains. We will then take 3N97 into Big Pine Flat campground. 24.6 miles
For the 4th track, we have 2 choices(both are 15.6 miles)
1. The easy is 3N16 into Poligue Canyon road to the 38
2. The harder(it's not hard) is the Coxey Truck trail into 3N12 around Delamar mountain into Poligue Canyon road to the 38
See attached for Google overview. Bring your GPS and cable.
PM me if you are interested.
no_photo.png
Click here to Reply or Forward

I'll be there.......but I'm taking this year off from the normal admin duties........NOT working GPS table.......NOT riding sweep......just filling in as/if needed.........may be manning a check point or just finding a good spot to take pictures.......just made my reservation across the street at Motel 6.....

A6B9734A-E829-480A-8624-EBD5C06AD98A_zps

Bump for a fun/annual event with a quality club. Do it! :big_boss:

Just got the tracks for the Easy, Hard and Adventure routes, a route for all types of abilities and bikes!!!

Saturday night's banquet at the Big Bear Convention center

Many, many more give-a-ways this year at the banquet!

More vendor displays this year in the parking lot!

Sunday's ride is relaxing and scenic, go at your own pace!

Promises to be a great event!

It's a "go"....the fires are NOT impacting the planned path

I'll be up there working the event Friday/Sat as usual.....

Outwit, Outlast, Outride!!!

See you up there.

I'll arrive sometime Friday afternoon/evening.

I sent them a note asking about this because here in Geneva I don't get great updates on what's going on for the fire.

I did see that highway 38 is or was closed at some point.

I was told by the organizers that they've adjusted the route to avoid trails that are near the 38, but that all should be fine.

The driving instructions they gave me were to take the 210 Fwy to Highland and exit on to Hwy 330 to Big Bear.

See you up there.

I'll arrive sometime Friday afternoon/evening.

I sent them a note asking about this because here in Geneva I don't get great updates on what's going on for the fire.

I did see that highway 38 is or was closed at some point.

I was told by the organizers that they've adjusted the route to avoid trails that are near the 38, but that all should be fine.

The driving instructions they gave me were to take the 210 Fwy to Highland and exit on to Hwy 330 to Big Bear.

I always head up 330 anyway......

Going up Friday after noon.Staying at Motel 6 to give it one more easy try.

2013 made it about 80 miles called it done.

I may make an appearance just to say what's up...

29,000 acres as of this morning......crap

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?66132-Big-Bear-fire!-Is-BBR-effected&p=763066&viewfull=1#post763066

I haven't seen the tracks for this year yet.....they're in a state of flux given the fire..........I'd imagine the focus will be on the north side of the lake - Gold Mtn, John Bull, Redonda Ridge, etc.......perhaps with more two way traffic than normal to get in the mileage and stay clear of the fires........we'll see.....afternoon rain is in the forecast for the next 4 days.......that oughta help as long as we don't have any associated lightning strikes/new fires.....