boat440

Reasons Why You Dirt Bike/Dual Sport?

So let's hear it

Is it the speed/risk, the exercise, the being in nature, the technical challenge, the staying off roads, or is it spiritual?

How would you rank them?

I suppose it's a combination of many for most.

#1 for me it's the camaraderie I share with people talking, living & of course riding dirt bikes

For me, it's the amount of freedom that you have in choosing where to ride offroad, and being able to link each dirt part of the route together with pavement sections. Only the difficulty of the terrain will deter me from taking a specific track. I like to explore and I love to be the tourist out enjoying nature.

Combo. How many things challenge you on so many levels at a constant pace for so long while giving you such a scenic experience so easily out your door. :bigeyed:

I enjoy the camaraderie of people who enjoy the adventure and inherent challenges of Dual sport riding. I had never met such an helpful group as the Dual sport community

If I'm gonna fall--and I fall a lot-- it may as well be at high speed and in the dirt (vs, say, down a set of bleachers at a HS football game).

Because my mom wouldn't let me when I was a kid.

Because I can point the bike at a distant mountain and get there at speed, it is simply amazing what a bike can traverse and how much ground you can cover. The people are cool too, very few posers, I think its a little like racing when the green flag drops the B.S. stops, same thing dualsporting, money doesn't make you cool much unlike many other sports and diversions.

Unc. C.

Grew up riding dirt before switching to the street.

Did my share of tearing up the road, then switched to road racing and had fun with that.

Had kids and finally decided to hang up the spurs on the street so other natural outlet is riding dirt.

Dual sport opens up so many additional trails and riding area over dirt only bikes that I decided to go that way.

Love the outdoors so it's a win win . . . :)

Being out in nature is awesome, getting there on the motorcycle is exhilarating!

All the above mentioned and memories of the Salt Tram / Lone Pine ride you put together back in 2007 are among my favorite rides.

All the above mentioned and memories of the Salt Tram / Lone Pine ride you put together back in 2007 are among my favorite rides.

Way Cool, Steve!

Planning an epic Utah ride late September/early October to catch the fall foliage, you in?

Number one is "getting away from it all"...while I take my phone with me, I rarely have reception, and don't even hear it IF it rings... and my phone rings ALL THE TIME.

Number two is seeing nature in a way you can't do in a car or even hiking... mountain biking is the same: smell the trees, choke on the dust. I've had some really close encounters with critters on two wheels, and there is a certain vulnerability being exposed that makes it better. Mountain lion, bobcat, deer and other herbivores... in their element

number three is the challenge of terrain; Obstacles, corners. Speed factors in, but it is really only relative to the terrain... 80 in a desert wash is boring to me, but 12 mph on Ranger can seem quite fast

Number 4 is the camaraderie... nah make that number 5... or 6... never mind>>> forget I even said that

"These Guys Made me do it!?!"

i-sRMLLm7-L.jpg

And this Guy,

i-6gwtTFR-L.jpg

Well. and Maybe this Guy

i-28BxFJR-L.jpg

Way Cool, Steve!

Planning an epic Utah ride late September/early October to catch the fall foliage, you in?

Long story but Doc says No Offroad motorcycle riding. Last 2 Desert Dashes I have been a spectator. I did ride my Kawi Concourse up Black Mtn in Idyllwild to the lookout...lol

Grew up backpacking and while fun, you see an average of 10 miles of scenery per day. On a moto I can easily see 150 miles of nature in a day.

Surfing is a lot of fun but crowded on good swells and a ride lasts mere seconds. On a moto I can brapp for minutes down a desolate baja beach.

It's hilarious watching friends wheelie uncontrollably into creek crossings, bury themselves in dunes and of course, get soaked by rogue coastal blowholes.

I like maps and studying / drawing up GPS tracks and then going to explore / find them. Moto-ing into uncharted waters and long distance adventure rides are the best.

I particularly like sometimes looney solo rides or rides with a buddy / small group of close friends - SD to Denver, Beach to Big Bear, Beach to Las Vegas and hopefully SD to Cabo sometime soon.

I agree with bikeslut. Getting away from it all to view and enjoy nature while at the same time being challenged by whatever nature throws at you. Having good friends or riding buddies along is the icing on the cake, but like Goofy Footer said, some of those crazy solo rides were just as special.

It might sound dumb but when I'm in the zone it's the connection to the bike for me. It's like we're one unit. I know what the bike is going to do and the bike seems to know what I want it to do. It's just a great feeling.

Also like seeing things that few people ever get to and to be ble to do it quickly.

CiD

Its to get up to the top of mnt first and play King of the mountain.

Getting away.

Being in the wilderness.

Being on my bike.

Freedom.

Haiku. :)

I can now add comradery and scenic views to the list. Thanks Trophy Hunter, Riggerdan, and Kato for a great ride today at Otay TT and beyond.

post-15899-0-78347000-1430456443_thumb.j

post-15899-0-60513400-1430456485_thumb.j

post-15899-0-84487700-1430456621_thumb.j

post-15899-0-35932900-1430456659_thumb.j

post-15899-0-10347500-1430456707_thumb.j

post-15899-0-57347600-1430456847_thumb.j