SCHWINN

RIP....Motorcycle rider in Elfin Forest Sunday eve.

Motorcycle rider going eastbound just after the old mobile home park / campground failed to negotiate the left hand curve there. Rider never even attempted the curve...single black skid mark straight into the rock.

Ya thats a big bummer. Thats a good way to go.(doing something you love) . But im sure his family is distraught . Those rocks do alot of damage. They can puncture your lungs and break your bones it doesnt even require alot of speed to do it. Especially for the skilled rider . The skilled rider is more comfortable at higher speeds and is always discovering new terrain... all it takes is a little slip on the road and its too late. . Street or dirt. I cant express the importance of protection and riding with other skilled riders that know what to do in situation. When it happens to you you wont be in a good spot to make desisions. .. when it happened to me I could barely breathe or talk...

Prayers to the riders family that they recover together and heal from this tragedy.

Darren.

The rider was 52 from San Marcos. Wearing full race protection head to toe. Had his motorcycle license 1 day.

That twist nearly took me out my first ride in the country, first week owning a Seca 550, age 17. Barely kept it on the road, scratched chrome, road rash. It's an easy turn to forget how sudden it is and find out the hardway.

Rider was trying to pass his buddy on the outside right hand side of a left hand curve.

New riders don't know that bikes don't turn when the brakes are locked up.

Rider was trying to pass his buddy on the outside right hand side of a left hand curve.

If I'm thinking of the correct curve. . . can't imagine doing a pass like that there. Lots of crud on the shoulder and the down hill terminates at that curve in that direction.

"New riders don't know that bikes don't turn when the brakes are locked up" or when they target fixate. That is why it is always important to go to a school, practice, and ride within your skill level.

I ride this road (Elfin Forest to Harmony Grove) every day back and forth to work. I'm not sure what corner you are talking about??

Sincerest condolences to the family!!

I ride this road (Elfin Forest to Harmony Grove) every day back and forth to work. I'm not sure what corner you are talking about??

Sincerest condolences to the family!!

I take that rd everyday going home. I am usually in my SUV. What bike do you have ? Sometime I am on the verge of dozing off-- those corners sneek up on you --got to be on your A game to ride that rd .

BMW 1200 RT P....It's black and white.... :bye:

Give me the SDAR finger wave if you see me...

the intersection of Elfin Forest Road and Harmony Grove Road. Don't know if it was at that intersection, but that is the tightest curve on that road.

That's where I had 1987 close call.

The crash site is exactly at the old mobile home park site where the lake WAS and campground.

When you are traveling eastbound you go by the fire station and down the hill and there is a 90 degree left then a straight thru the dip and then another hard left. This is where the crash happened. There is a giant oaktree and a few very large rocks set there on purpose to keep cars from driving off that corner. I was in the Elfin Forest Fire Dept for years and I cant tell you how many cars drove off that bank down into the tree.

You will see a single skid mark leading into the large rock.

I live at the eastside of Harmony Grove almost where it hits Del Dios Hwy.

Does anybody know there was a Mobile Home Park / Campground there on the right??? and a lake...Now there is just a chain link fence.

Exact crash spot is about 100 yards passed or East of the intersection of Questhaven rd and Elfin forest rd.

If this map works you will see a rock in the middle of the pic on right of street where curve goes left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.075248,-117.162153,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQixj7uUQkXfXJMXpijEZ0Q!2e0

Last year, friends of mine were going eastbound in their car, when a motorcyclist going westbound didn't stay in their lane and sideswiped the car. Same spot. No serious injuries, but plenty of vehicle damage.

Waaaay back in 1979 I layed down my Honda XL 500 going to fast ( Knobby Tires ) in the 90 degree corner just before this crash site.

Just last Saturday eve in the rain I was riding my Kawasaki Concourse super slow around the corner by the new Harmony Grove bridge and the bike slipped on that 4' X 4' new patch of what ever covering that they covered the Stop light ahead paint on the pavement when they activated the new intersection light for a couple of weeks then turned off the light and painted over the writing on pavement.

This new bridge is going to cut off a few miles of my drive time when I use Elfin Forest rd to go to the beach and back.

scout_zpsz99m9rbe.jpg

Victim just identified:

Case Number: 15-00973
Name: Clay Wallace White
City of Residence: San Marcos
DOB: 07/10/1962
Place of Death: Harmony Grove Road N. of Questhaven Road, Escondido CA
Place of injury: Harmony Grove Road N. of Questhaven Road, Escondido CA
Date/Time of Death: 4/26/2015 6:33:00 PM
Date/Time injury: 04/26/2015 1830
Summary: The decedent was a 52 year old male who resided in San Marcos. On the evening of 04/26/2015, he was one of three motorcyclists riding in the area of Harmony Grove Road and Elfin Forest Road in unincorporated Escondido. The decedent was witnessed to lose control of his motorcycle while negotiating a curve in the road. His motorcycle skidded off the roadway and struck a boulder. The decedent was thrown and landed a short distance from the motorcycle. A 911 call was made, and paramedics responded to the scene and confirmed death due to traumatic injuries.
Cause of Death/Updated Cause of Death:
Contributing Conditions:
Manner:
Investigating Agency: CHP - Oceanside
Next of kin notified? Yes

Thanks for that info above...

The other 2 riders where Dad and son. The rider that died was a friend of the Fathers.

I saw it today on my way home. I know the road well as I ride it / drive it frequently. I was confused when you first described it because I had no idea what mobile home park or lake you were talking about. Now I get it.

That particular corner seems benign but the reality is that it is off camber and a tad tricky, especially if you come in too fast.

RIP rider!

I also saw the skid marks. I seems that the county or who ever takes care of that rd. placed two huge long boulders instead of a guard rail . Any car ,bike , bicycle that misses that turn will hit them ?? I don,t think that is right.