Riggerdan

Motorcycle Kit for HX370 / HX400 Radio

Is this the one I want, guys? FT-270 radios are on eBay for ~$50 so I'd be in for about $230. Or I see HX400 radios for $180, are they worth the extra $ vs FT-270/RH-5R? I know nothing about radio setups, never had one, know I want one...

Paging PMB, Rigguh, CiD, Crawdaddy, Blake, other radio experts

This is the PTT / Helmet set up I have - If you pick up a Yaesu FT-270 you will be dialed

An extra PTT is smart (cause they break)

even of you wear on your backpack so you can communicate while not on the bike

BUT then we will not be able to talk about you...

BUT then we will not be able to talk about you...

It's more satisfying if he hears the sh*t I'm saying about'em :heh:

I talked to Scott @ RuggedRadios just now, he said that their RH5R radio and all microphone, cords, and helmet speakers that comes with this complete kit are the exact same quality as the standalone kit linked above. He said that the RH5R, FY-270, and HX370 are all 5-watt radios, and will have identical range and send/receive quality, and dual band/frequency. Anyone have experience with this kit? $227 sale price fits my budget well...

MC-RH5R-MD.jpg

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=920_927&products_id=1323

The Rugged radio version is the rebranded baofeng UV-5R in a blue case...

The radio is usually $30 with free shipping from Amazon... in a black case...

$168 harness

$30 radio

This may fit your budget better...

Two things I don't like about the RH5R harness.One is the RCA jack\plug for the PTT. I prefer the Nexus connector. While it is more expensive I find it more robust and easier to connect\disconnect. The other thing is that the radio jumper is hard wired in the RH5R harness. I like to run the longer coiled cord radio jumper like this one: http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_74_90&products_id=161 .It gives a bit more flexability in how you can route the cables and where you carry the radio. Also if you decide to switch to another brand radio you can just buy another jumper for that radio. Not so with the RH5R harness. Lastly I own Baufeng's UV-5R's and Yaesu FT-270's. While the Baufeng is a capable radio it is nowhere near the quality of the Yaesu but then it does only cost $30. That said if money is tight the RHR setup will get the job done. Just my .02.

Is this the one I want, guys? FT-270 radios are on eBay for ~$50 so I'd be in for about $230. Or I see HX400 radios for $180, are they worth the extra $ vs FT-270/RH-5R? I know nothing about radio setups, never had one, know I want one...

Paging PMB, Rigguh, CiD, Crawdaddy, Blake, other radio experts

Well, I'm no expert but I can tell you that's the setup I have but with the jumper for the Yaesu FT-270 as that's the radio I have.

Either way, get setup so we can talk!!

Thanks all. I found and digested this thread, too... http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18553-newb-radio-purchase-baofeng-vs-rugged-radios/ What's interesting is RR claims their radio has 5-watts, while the Baofeng states 4-watts of power. Are they indeed identical?

I'm fairly sure the $30 Baofeng radio with the $18 antenna upgrade will work for me, but now I'm liking the idea of having music during long tours too. RR makes this kit helmet kit (with hardware upgrades for 2015) for $105, then I need to buy a separate PTT setup (~$50), plus figure out which jumper wire/kit is compatible with the Baofeng/RH-5R radio ($???). By then I'll be well above the $200 price point (I think), but having the upgraded 2015 helmet kit hardware + option to listen to music may be worth it. PMB, is this the setup you roll with? I'll call RR back on Monday and figure this out...

I haven't used the music jack in my headset but from what I've heard the audio quality isn't that great and it's not stereo. PMB can chime in with the details. Also you will want a PTT on the handlebars. I believe the velcro one is included with the harness . Not my favorite but it will do.

=0-*Is it just me, or am I the only one that looks at their kits and has a hard time coming up with how they can cost what they are. I'm pretty sure that you can get a Sena bluetooth 2-way adapter for the radio, and a Sena headset on the helmet, and have a lot more functionality. Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wanting to get something for my FT1D, but figured it made more sense to go wireless, so it would be easier to move between helmets/bikes.