Dan Diego

Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route (AZBDR): April 17-24, 2015 (plus)

Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route (AZBDR): April 17-24, 2015

I'm packed up and ready to roll. DanRider and I plan to tackle the Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route (AZBDR) starting tomorrow. Here's the link: http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/AZBDR

Here's our tentative ride plan:

Friday, April 17: Ride from San Diego to the Mexican border in AZ (Bisbee, Sierra Vista or Hereford, Arizona).

April 18-23: Ride the 750 miles of backcountry AZ roads to the Utah border (camping along the way).

Friday, April 24: Meet other KLR riders in Prescott for the 3rd Annual Spring AZ Weekend KLR Ride.

April 25-26: Fun riding with the KLRistas!

Monday, April 27: Return to San Diego

Photos, videos and a Ride Report to follow!

More info:

The AZBDR is the fourth route developed by the Backcountry Discovery Routes organization for dual-sport and adventure motorcycle travel. This scenic 750-mile south-to-north route crosses the state of Arizona beginning at the Mexico border and finishing at the Utah border. The route has been created specifically for dual-sport and adventure motorcyclists who are interested in exploring Arizonas remote backcountry. It utilizes many remote dirt roads and leads riders through iconic locations including the Mogollon Rim, Sunset Crater National Monument, Grand Canyon and the Navajo Nation, as well as the historic mining towns of Tombstone and Globe, AZ.

Free GPS tracks, a digital map and the route's FAQ and photo gallery are located on the website.post-14554-0-81262800-1429238658.jpg

I look forward to your ride report... Have fun...

Awesome. I'm a couple weeks behind you so I'll be interest in a full report.

Todd was right ahead of us.

Really looking forward to this ride.

Will stay in touch along the way.

Oh man Dan your going a bit early. Be ready for possible closed trails and very cold nights.

Great ride, the first day has a small bit of slow sand then you climb and stay high for most of the rest of it 7-9k in elevation. You can do the first 2 sections in one day and the whole thing in 4 days. Suggest spending a day in Tombstone and Bisbee before hitting the trail. Great micropub in Bisbee if you like that kind of thing :) Make sure you have a shot of Old Overholt at the Crystal Palace saloon in Tombstone like Wyatt Erp did and hopefully you get the same bartender we did - 00

Now Afry, Pancho and Lefty have been known to jump a fence or too. Remember this is part of the old wild west.

Great micropub in Bisbee :) Make sure you have a shot of Old Overholt at the Crystal Palace saloon in Tombstone like Wyatt Erp did and hopefully you get the same bartender we did - 00

You know, Arnie, you have never failed to provide excellent drinking advice! You pointed out cool places in Alaska and Canada, too.

It's a good thing I'm riding with my sponsor! I'm shooting for my, "15 hours sober" pin.

Whew! What a day. Rode from Young to Winona today. Barely 120 miles but it beat the crap outta me. I gotta say, it was the prettiest, too. The Mogollon Rim is amazing to see. We hit about 8k' elevation and it felt great. Mid 50's to mid 60's all day.

Rocks. Rocks have been part of the most challenging sections of the ride thus far. Today was like riding across the moonscape. Crazy rocks.

The photo doesn't do it justice by t it's really something. Midway through I was thinking we should've taken the alternate (easier) workaround.

Gonna camp at the KOA in Flagstff and hit it again tomorrow. Lotsa fun!post-14554-0-54519200-1429578094_thumb.jpost-14554-0-92087800-1429578119_thumb.jpost-14554-0-44594800-1429578145_thumb.j

Good job, keep um rolling...

Those rocks and ruts and ruts and rocks get a little old on bigger bikes around Long Lake. But what an epic trip!

And that ends that.

Take a real close look at the sign, Kug...

Camping in Kanab tonight then off to another ride in the Prescott area.

Lots of photos and a RR soon. post-14554-0-12481600-1429834466_thumb.j

Congrats bro, you made it. 6 days total on trail??

Looks great...I hope to do it next year. Looking forward toore pix !

Yes I was along for this trip but did not finish the ride. I took a spill on Tuesday late into the ride which ended it. The spill was a dumb one that broke eight of my back ribs(2-10) I was going at best 15MPH when my front tire caught a rut and threw me right down onto a rock that was one foot in diameter, the bike fell on me which made it worse. Dan arrived after he had fallen only to find me trying to gasp for air. Diego remained calm and so did I. We used my cell phone because it had one bar on it and Diego got through to 911 and gave them our lat and lon. With in 25 min the Helo showed but could not get close to the seen, landed a mile away. They showed up put me on O2 and started an IV. I told them I broke my ribs because I felt them crack. It was time for the board and pick and carry. Then the Sheriff showed and they put me on the truck then to the Helo. Off I went to Flagstaff hospital which confirmed I had broken my ribs and after a scan they saw that my spleen was bleeding (not ruptured), on a scale of 0-6 it was a 2 so they kept me in ICU for two days. Then onto a regular room for two days then release.

The night of the accident Diego and friend Jon went and got my bike and trailered it back to Jon home which I am very thankful for (thank you again Diego and Jon). They even helped my wife load the bike into the truck so we could take it back with us when I was released from the hospital. My wife on the ride home made a comment that she wished the straps would come loose so the damn thing would fall out of the back of the truck. It was a long ride home with the broken ribs in the truck (every damn bump hurt) trust me on that.

I am going to cowboy up and be out of work for a week.

Dan and I would of finished this ride in 4.5 days on the pace we where going, That is one of the reasons we get along so well, we both ride hard. Maybe our next ride Dan,! when I convince my wife that it will be a Geriatrics ride with a bike that has been de tuned not to go over 20mph we will go at a slower pace. Will never happen!!

Parts of the AZ trail that dan and I did where tuff for a long time, one section was all rocks for miles and I mean miles. It is worth doing if you like a challenge

That souks Dan sorry to hear and I bet that car ride home was worse my wife had to pick me up frok Ocotillo wells once and that 2 hours was brutal. Hope you have a good recovery

Dan, I am sorry to hear about your crash! Take it slow and recover quickly. There well be plenty of trips in the future. Keep us posted on your condition.

Good job Diego taking care of a bud!!!!

Danrider, sorry that happened. Heal up. Never give up. Never surrender!

Danrider, sorry that happened. Heal up. Never give up. Never surrender!

It was just one of those freak things that did not go my way. Most of us go down, take some motrin for a week or so and shake it off. It did not go my way this time. Dan and I where having a good ride until this section and it was at the end when we where tired. If I had to do it all over I would of stopped and camped. But it is what it is. I will not surrender, It is what will make me determined to get in better shape for the next ride

Dan are you taking visitors umm hecklers any time soon ?

Dan are you taking visitors umm hecklers any time soon ?

Do not want to laugh either ok, call me in a month, then you can give me all the crap you want to dish out,