350thumper

AMA District 38 -Speed Limit 100

this race im gearing my bike for short bursts. im guessing short rocky up hill climbs with twisting sand washes . also small ten foot drop ins.

im expecting lots of raises and drops in the terrain with tight corners that flow out into deep sand sections.with miles and miles of whoop ded doos.

i want my bike burning roost in the sandy corners with tons of torque on demand .. at least as far down as the stock ratio.

you would think that racing in the wide open desert calls for tall gears and high speeds, but these races are just the opposite.

i dont mind running out of power band on a race like this in the long smooth sections .. but want aggressive power the rest of the race

there shud be some long straight and smooth roads but im thinking only 5% of the coase will be that way ...

im dressing cool because the temps will probly be way up in the 90's ..

how about yuo kenny? are you going to change the set up on your bike ?

All I've changed from 1st to second race was backing on my clickers a little bit. I lasted a lot longer with the softer ride last week and was able to go to work on Monday without hating life.

Like you said, lots more rough ---- than high speed.

Still have my bike geared for 98mph but the big RMZ has the HP to handle it. That's my chance to catch up. Passed three bikes each time we got into the 3 or 4 miles of fast ground last race.

As for the heat, I'm riding naked.

Yikes.

Im riding out there with you so dont forget deoderant this time

Course was even rougher than 2 weeks ago. Sand is even softer.

I got a horrible start, my bike always starts first kick except at the start where it gets performance shy or something and takes 3 kicks.

Lots of rough whoops, tore up sand washes, technical rock crawler trails, and few times through the dunes.

There was an awesome photo worthy moment as three of us went over the bars at the same time side by side. We all high fived and rode on.

I was able to pass 2 or 3 bikes each time we hit the technical stuff as they were either stuck or fallen down in the rocks.

I also made a couple passes on pole line road at 90+mph.

Thanks Darren for helping get over the fear of going that fast

I did my pit stops in about 60 seconds this race, just a quick splash of gas and a swig of water.

I made a couple passes that way as well.

Temps were in the 60's to low 70's. Windy enough that dust was not an issue.

Last Desert race of the season until Sept 20.

Heal quickly Darren so I can chase your crazy butt around the desert.

Wont know results for a few days, the electronic score system was not working.

I'll never forget going down to El Cajon Honda with my dad in October 1973 for my 12th birthday, and he bought me my 1974 XR 75.

That's a great memory. Lots of fun on that bike. Wish I still had it.

Congrats on the new bike!

My first bike was a 73 XR75.

My boys is getting a RMZ like his dad.

When he turns 4, start him early.