danrider

Who is this guy! A Legend? I do not know but this is my story.

For years I'd been hearing stories about this guy with black- framed glasses (they say he looked like Buddy Holly). Not long after, I began seeing stickers of his face on dirt bikes, adventure bikes, local businesses, mini bikes, at The Alibi in Hillcrest, on the inside door of a stall in a ladies restroom in San Felipe, Mexico...all over the place, really. Fellow riders have told me that stickers with this guy's face have been spotted in countries throughout the world.

What's it all about? Who is this guy? What time does happy hour start? All sorts of unanswered questions.I was intrigued and did a little investigation.Some say having that sticker on your bike brings the rider good luck and protects you from high sides, low sides and Mexican barbed wire; others have said he's not even a real person, just a ghost rider (but not like Nicholas Cage, more like William H. Macy).As for myself, I can tell you about some first-hand run-in’s I've actually had with The Man, The Myth, The Legend.

The most recent experience I'll share with you is still fresh in my mind; it was just this past summer when I rode toAlaska.I was in Dawson Creek, Canada when my riding buddy and I pulled into a campground and set up for the night. There was a drinking establishment nearby, so we made our way to the bar for some cold ones. While having beers with the locals, this beautiful lady walked in and sat at the bar. My eyes were immediately drawn to the small of her back where--I couldn't believe it---I spied a tattoo of the guys face! Oh, it was him, alright. There was no denying it; the cheesy smile and birth control glasses gave it away.I went over and introduced myself but she just started crying, tears running down her face as she sobbed quietly.Soon though--about a beer, two tequila shots and a jello shooter later--she opened up to me.She proceeded to tell me her name was Sally Slutter(a well known native of the Northern Territories). I asked her why she was crying and she said this to me:The tramp stamp was the only memory she had of a man she'd met sixteen years ago. Sally related how he was the only man she'd had a long-term relationship with-- and that only lasted for a week. Through streaming tears she told me that when he rode out of town, he left a note saying he'd be back for her on a full moon. He signed it, "The Kug”. So Sally Slutter had been coming back to the bar on a full moon for over sixteen years in hope of once again meeting her lost love. The story was so sad I had another tequila shot and two more Canadian beers before I left the bar. What a story!

My second story of the guy on the sticker goes like this:

Several years ago, I went for a ride and camping adventure in the Northern Arizona Apache land. I spent over five days riding on the reservation and really enjoyed the solitude of being alone: in some ways it was almost spiritual. I was camping down by this stream one night when I experienced the most unusual sight: about 100 yards from my campsite I could see a group of Indians dancing and singing around a fire. After watching the ritual for a few minutes, I took a bottle of bourbon, stepped out of the darkness and said hello. After an awkward silence, they spoke with one another and finally invited me to join them around the fire. As the evening went on, we drank the bourbon and passed around a pipe and became quite friendly. Early in the morning as I prepared to walk back to my camp, one of my new friends offered to bless my Iron Pony. He told me the ritual I was about to witness would guarantee my safety and bring me good fortune. I expected the Indians to dance and sing in their native language and maybe wave some smoke over my head. But when we arrived to my campsite, he placed a very familiar decal on my bike and quickly walked away. Amazing! As I fell asleep in my tent, I dreamt of the sound of a motorcycle in the distance. The wind made a strange noise as if it were trying to speak to me---Kug,Kug,Kug. The sound was carried on the wind like smoke from the peace pipe. Kug,Kug Kug, not unlike a Harley in need of re-jetting. When I awoke the next morning, I wondered if it was all just a dream.  But as I was making coffee, I noticed a sticker of the guy who looks a lot like Buddy Holly on my front windscreen. True story!

Most recently, at this year's Desert Dash, I was talking with Jim Hurkman, the owner of North County Yamaha. I noticed he had that same sticker on one of his KTMs. I told him how I got mineand he said, "Wow! Wait until you hear how I got mine."

He told me that one night in a dream he was approached by a Rabbi, a Catholic Priest, and a Chinese Monk from Budapest. In the dream, the three figures told him to expect a magical box. That box would be the key to a successful motorcycle dealership. Weeks went by and Jim kept thinking about the dream and about the box. Then one day a mysterious box was delivered to his dealership; he knew right away this was the box from his dream. He immediately gathered all his staff members and prepared to open the box. The air was still and full of wonder as Jim pried open the old wooden box. As he lifted the lid, two of his employees gasped loudly; others fainted. One farted, but that might've been due to lunch at the taco stand next door. Inside Jim found stacks of the now-familiar sticker. A note on top instructed him to place the decals on motorbikes he sold. But only on bikes of "real" riders, not wanna-be's, squids or KLR owners. And, of course,the note was signed, “The Kug.” If that wasn't amazing enough, Jim told me that he's followed the instructions to a "T"for several decades and the box has mysteriously always stayed full.

Lastly, this story was told to me 2nd hand by a guy I ride with quite often. He swears it's true and I have no reason to doubt him (although he owes me over $200 in bar tabs, crazy bets and chain lube). This guy--let's call him "Dan Diego" for the sake of argument--says that while he was traveling in Peru and/or Bolivia, he found himself in some sort of weird temple/bar/massage parlor on the shore of Lake Titicaca. While he was enjoying the company of a bartender*slash*priestess*slash*underaged massage therapist, he observed a familiar face on the establishment's wall. The light was dim, for obvious reasons, but he could make out the black glasses and the toothy grin. Holy Krishna! It was The Kug! He asked the young lady where the sticker came from...who'd placed it there. With a shrug, she said in Quechua (a groovy indigenous language that Diego had picked up on his travels), "Quien sabe. La verdad es, El Koog es un enigma. Muy misterioso. Viene y va--ida y vuelta. Y nadie sabe cuando or donde." Just effin incredible!  But even more incredible, as Danny was getting ready to pay for..."drinks," he witnessed 4 or 5 young boys milling about. All were wearing basic black spectacles and making motorcycle sounds with their mouths. Truer story.

Well, that's all I have for now. I'd appreciate if the other riders on this forum lucky enough to have had a Close Encounter of the Kug Kind, would share their stories of the guy who rides like Curt Casselli and resembles Buddy Holly.I tell ya, the guy is truly a Legend and I hope to meet him some day.
And if I'm really lucky, I may just ride with him.

post-13882-0-55972500-1425958595_thumb.j

Ummmm, what were you doing inside the door of a stall in a ladies restroom in San Felipe, Mexico?

post-14554-0-84247000-1425958802.jpg

Oh, boy. And it starts in 3, 2, 1...

Ummmm, what were you doing inside the door of a stall in a ladies restroom in San Felipe, Mexico?

Having a taco

Having a taco

Fish taco, no doubt. Hope it was fresh.

...KLR riders?!?!....really?!?!?! you had to start profiling riders based on economic status...tsk tsk...may kug have mercy on your sol

Rumor has it that this strange character is having a 29 th birthday soon . Details to follow :bigeyed:

Just saw sticker last weekend for the first time in person at ballerat in death valley. Too funny

i-6gwtTFR-L.jpg

The Man the Legend has been known to roam the Henry Mountains. As rare as the Henry Mountain Bison, but cooks a better breakfast.

i-sBPrj3R-L.jpg

A Leader of Men

Man oh man, it looks like Bagstr met him, he must be a humble man if he made you breakfast…..Just yesterday I was told that he bought a horse trailer and skipped town. Count yourself lucky to have ridden with him. I would love to meet up with you sometime and tape record your story of him.

A Leader of Men!!!!…..That is powerful

I also had a vision of him as a man who sleeps with his boots on…….. all I can say is Wow!

post-14554-0-36757600-1426004137.jpg

True story: I was in Mike's bar at 4 in the morning one time when I saw a local gal with 4 or 5 kids between the ages of 4 and 10. All were named Ken!

I heard that Italian officials INSISTED that he carve his initials into the Colosseum.

It's now considered a "real" landmark.

That's it, I need to find this guy, Colosseum for real? Does anyone have any proof that he is alive? I need to know, do not want to spend my time chasing a ghost, but legend has it that he is a ghost.

I just bought the rights to his biography on ebay for $9.95.

He has been known to forge KTM pistons from Soda Cans and Penny Matches !

Too funny

I heard he crashes but once a century.

57 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Saw the Kug in Russia last week. Even the dogs fear him. 

A0481184-75C8-4A36-A905-49DD22CA87D3.jpeg

That guy really gets around!  I know for a fact he never had a job, he just travels around from country to town!

I saw the real guy once in Mexico on an old well worn KTM, I heard the KTM factory gave him a new bike just to keep him spreading the KTM word around the world.

I rode with a very Mysterious man two weekends ago, he said his name was Buddy!

Could it have been him?IMG_5363.thumb.JPG.254219722c6490ba183c2c551fb576ea.JPG