Workless

16870464028_85ce1dd53e_b.jpg

16438885143_6b54cdb3cd_b.jpg

17057853592_c3403f6e66_b.jpg

16440138523_fe598c7540_b.jpg

16852968817_dabd2e2f68_b.jpg

15971726168_74bbf15ef2_h.jpg

Wow. Pretty sweet pics.

So, I've been riding deserts down here for 30 years, but I've never been to Baja. Got a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Is there really safety in numbers down there? Are things as crazy (security wise) as everything I hear?

2. Do you camp out in tents on the trail, or actually stay in hotels?

3. Do you cross the border on bikes, or trailer them over?

4. How many miles between fuel stops?

Thanks,

Troy

Very intriguing, would love to do this. Not sure I can swing that weekend.... so maybe.

What would departure time on Thursday be?

Yeah! That sounds like a nice little ride.

Got a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Is there really safety in numbers down there? Are things as crazy (security wise) as everything I hear?

I got this.

1. Yes and no. On average, 3 out of 4 riders who depart are able to make it back alive. Bring guns--lots of guns. And drugs to trade with the locals.

2. Either, both. Depending on what the ride leader calls. That area has both good beach camping and a cool place to stay. Pro Baja tip: If you pay for a local girl "all night" the room is free.

3. Both. Some trailer to Tecate and unload them there so they can ride across in a quasi-plated status. Your pref. Bot since many, many bikes are stolen at gunpoint, there won't be any worries about the trailering home part.

4. Look for the Se Vende Gasolina signs alongside the road. That'll determine the distance you gotta go.

Lastly, I suggest you look for Kug decals. That'll help you decide if you should patronize the establishment or not...

What did I miss?

The definition of safety in numbers can be taken several ways..

Providing all riders are mechanically & physically fit and injury free, a minimum of 3 and no more the 6 seems to be a desirable approach (less is not an issue and more is possible)

My motto "If your looking for trouble you will find it" - safety first is always the plan in action

A generic day would consist of daylight riding, though working headlights are mandatory

150miles min / 250miles max on any given day - minimal to no pavement

Considering hotels

I'll depart / arrive at the Tecate border on my bike - 95% chance you will need to show your valid bike registration

you can stage your vehicle at the border safely for roughly $10 USD a day or less

Keep it at 100 miles +/- intervals between fuel and taco stops

Carry pesos in Mexico - credit cards are useless and some USD is advisable

There is a ATM machine in Tecate

I carry my US Passport Card / Debit card on my person

What would departure time on Thursday be?

I shoot for 0700 for crossing, though somehow it always gets stretched out a few minutes later

Try to allow for a stress free first day with lots of daylight - 200 miles roughly

Dan nailed it...but he forgot the following:

1) bring quick clot for when you get shot/stabbed

2) put ID in your helmet and pants pocket so they can match your detached head to your body

3) always ride with a buddy so you can say "He did it" when questioned by the Federales

Don't let a local girl stay the night...the room may be free, but you won't have your wallet in the morning either

Don't let a local girl stay the night...the room may be free, but you won't have your wallet in the morning either

Did your wife ever find out about that? I mean, with Facebook and all, it must have been hard to keep secret.

I did a solo ride a few years ago. 4 days. Didn't get robbed, stabbed, beat up, shot, raped, dirty looks, the clap, or the shits.

Just sayin'.

Why don't we leave the weekend before this and go all the way to Cabo and back? I've got the whole week free.

CiD

Stay to the Right and look out for Snowbirds that are squirly .

Wheelie but don,t crash at the Military Checkpoints.

Check and carry and extra set of KTM wheel bearings for the other guy.

When riding backwards after a U turn go extremely slow and stay to the right.

Know how to fix fuel injection.

Take a picture of "KUG" stickers

Oh My. Speaking Truth to Power

Hey Kug, let know when you hike

B

Oh My. Speaking Truth to Power

Hey Kug, let know when you hike

B

This Saturday- Clevenger

Canyon North. I am leading a Meet Up Group . 9 AM Sharp. Shoes ,Water ,Snaks.Bla Bla Bla

Continued Hiking Hijack,,,

Ken, There are a large number of Meetup Hiking groups! Which is yours so I can check it out? Send a PM if you want to keep the Moto-heads off the trail.

Dave / Hikestr

Troy, if you have not been to the Mexican back country then you are missing out! The Mexican's are generous and the land is free. Other than common courtesy and a few parcels of private land you can do whatever you want. Again, no one appreciates visitors trashing the place but if you want to ride to the south- have at it. Ride to the north- have at it. Pee in a bush- have at it. Drive your moto down the beach - have at it. No park rangers, no tickets, no designated anything. It is like the wild west in good way. But don't forget common courtesy and to shut closed gates.

My .02 is that:

- the density of people is so low that people are hugely more tolerant.

- the Mexican's for the most part have more free time than we gringos do. So, they are REALLY helpful and willing to bend over backwards to help you out.

- Mexican people in general will help others because they may need some help.

On the other hand if you get into a situation over your head then there is not a lot of help to be had. The same lack of rangers and first responders can bite you in the butt.

My above comments are not pointed to the cities. I am talking about the countryside.

I go down every 6-8 weeks usually with a small crew. You are welcome to jump in with us or Rigger Dan knows his way around too. I want to go with Rigger dan because seeing his reports he has some routes unknown to me.

The guy above was kidding about the drugs and guns. Don't bring those. :-)

steve

Thanks, Steve, Appreciate the tips and info.

I used to party in TJ as a high school punk, but the whole cartel thing trips me out. Didn't used to be like that back in the 80's.

But, I feel good about going in a group, and especially with guys who've been before. Totally different than a bunch of rookies fumbling around down there.

I went ahead and bought a 4.1 gallon tank and a pair of Wolfman E-12s. I'm getting the bike ready.

I can foresee a Baja ride in the near future.

Troy

.........REVISED

Couple weeks out from a Baja run south

small bikes preferred

hotels along the way

115 miles between gas stops

600/700 miles total

conditioned riders and maintained bikes welcome

days are longer and warmer

Depart Tecate 04/09 - 0700 hrs

Arrive Tecate 04/12 - 1600 hrs

Can't make this one...obligations. Looking forward to some good pictures and stories.