EddieEarl

Best Big Tank for '13 KTM 500EXC?

Anybody have recommendation for a big tank for the 500 EXC?

I understand I may also have to install a new fuel pump and lines? Would really prefer to not change the fuel pump.

The 19L KTM Powerparts tank seems like the best, but its also the most expensive. Acerbis has a 3.1 gal, but I'm already @ 2.25 so its not much of a jump. Acerbis also has a 5.3 gal but does anyone know if I need a new fuel pump with that?

Thanks

- Troy

Um, yes, hello- this is Paul Bowers, I was paged?

Yes.

Yes.

Uh-huh.

Got it.

Well, the best solution is the Acerbis 4.1. Yes, the fuel pump is located inside the tank along with the fuel filter. Also the fuel tap-thingy needs to be changed out, so swapping tanks is impractical unless one wants to buy an extra pump setup- about $500-ish. The good news is the 4.1 is pretty slim and I've not had the urge to return to the smaller tank.

It looks like this:

13105056963_3461bcab2f_c.jpg

13105224474_7e53208d86_c.jpg

I like www.cyclebuy.com and suggest talking with Aryn- great guy. I further suggest getting the 90-degree petcock thing that's not a petcock- ask Aryn about it. It's a little pricey ($50? $70?) but will hopefully will keep things from catching on it.

Hey, thanks for answering the 'courtesy phone' :smile_anim:

So, if/when i change to the Acerbis 4.1 tank the stock fuel pump & filter can be used? :tired:

Also, what does the "petcock that's not a petcock" actually do? :withstupid:

Its name escapes me, but it's where the fuel comes out of the tank. Old Skool had a petcock but not on these bikes.

Best thread on these bikes is the "wee beasty " thread on KTMtalk. It's why forums were invented- tons of information.

And yes, the stock pump/filter assembly is just swapped to the new tank.

#5 is the part to which I'm referring.

#3 is the fuel tank assembly that one can transfer to the new tank. It all comes out of the tank as a single connected unit.

137740730.gif

I went with the Acerbis 3.1 as I did not want any increase in width for my legs and wanted to retain stock shrouds. I've ridden one with a 5 gal tank, not sure which one (tank), it was really wide and not too my tastes. The 4.1 might be a good in between tank. As PMB said, you will need to use the supplied #5 part as the thickness of the tank wall at the petcock location is different from the stock tank.

My thinking was these bikes are getting 100 miles on the stock tank (see 360enduro.com). Add .85 gallons with the 3.1 tank and that should put you up around 140, or more conservatively 130. That was enough range for me. If on the rare occasion I would need more, I have a rotpax 1 gal can I can mount.

I think this is the 90 degree thing PMB is referring too. http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19597-wtb-ktm-factory-fuel-pump-connection/

Yup.

I'm getting around 40MPG, and if I'm trotting around Corral Canyon, of course I don't need the fuel.

But last week in Death Valley? Yeah....

Remember, it's not just the distance, but the getting-lost factor and the must-turn-around-and-retrace-due-to-obstacle (like a river) factor.

You can always put less gas in the bigger tank.

True.

But that won't make it any narrower ; )

Best thread on these bikes is the "wee beasty " thread on KTMtalk. It's why forums were invented- tons of information.

I keep forgetting about KTMtalk. Thanks for the reminder.

And yes, the stock pump/filter assembly is just swapped to the new tank.

Paul, do you know if you can also just swap the pump with the 5.3 gal tank?

And, it sounds like the "potential" items for change would be, pump/filter, extended fuel lines, and I'm also starting to understand the radiator shrouds might also need replacing?

Yes, the stock pump will fit the larger tank, and I don't believe fuel line extension is necessary.

The bigger tanks (like mine) replace the shrouds entirely, but I found are insufficient as radiator guards.

A) The 4.1 might be a good in between tank.

B) As PMB said, you will need to use the supplied #5 part as the thickness of the tank wall at the petcock location is different from the stock tank.

C) My thinking was these bikes are getting 100 miles on the stock tank (see 360enduro.com). Add .85 gallons with the 3.1 tank and that should put you up around 140, or more conservatively 130. That was enough range for me. If on the rare occasion I would need more, I have a rotpax 1 gal can I can mount.

D) I think this is the 90 degree thing PMB is referring too. http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19597-wtb-ktm-factory-fuel-pump-connection/

A) I agree. I didn't even know Acerbis had the 4.1. The 3 is just not enough if I'm going thru the hassle of swapping tanks.

B) Roger that. In a YouTube vid I saw the 5.3 gal from Acerbis came with this piece. Hopefully the 4.1 does as well.

C) Copy. My bike gets 107 miles per tank when I whomp on it. Probably more if I just cruise.

D) Thanks for the link. Hopefully that comes with the 4.1 gal tank.

My friend has the same bike and is getting around 60 mpg. Do you need the extra fuel?

Bro, I've been going over that same question for months. I'm right on the fence. But, I'm headed to Moab in April and we're doing a couple overnights on the trail. A solid 150+ miles of back country "IF" everything goes perfect. And, when you start factoring in the safety issues like getting lost, somebody getting hurt (making multiple trips to the truck and back), I think I'm siding with the philosophy which says "I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it." As long as the new tank doesn't break the bank and gets me at least 175 miles I think I'm going for it. PMB mentioned the 4.1 and I think that's perfect. The 3 gal doesn't get me enough, the 5.3 gal gets me way more than I need, but the 4.1 will get me just over 200 miles.

Remember, it's not just the distance, but the getting-lost factor and the must-turn-around-and-retrace-due-to-obstacle (like a river) factor.

Yeah, fully agree. Very valid thing to consider (especially with my 'lets just head that way' navigation tendency).

Lots of info here guys - thanks for the help. Let me see if I have it all correct:

- I'm able to swap the stock pump/filter from stock tank to new 4.1 Acerbis tank

- I may need a new 'petcock thingy' on the bottom of the tank, or the tank may come with it (the 5.3 gal Acerbis comes with this part)

- The 4.1 tank also serves as radiator shrouds, but it would be a good idea get radiator guards

Does this sound about right?

Thanks again.

Yesbut.

The tank will come with the fuel line connection, but not the 90 degree version.

Also, if you have the smog stuff on the bike still, it will all have to come off to put on a larger tank, so figure any blockoff stuff.

To those of you that have yanked the emissions stuff, did you have to do anything with the cylinder head to airbox hose, or could you just leave it in place?

I've been torn on which tank as well. I kind of want the 5.3, since I'm usually in the go big or go home camp, but maybe the 4gal is a good compromise. I really with justgastanks was open on weekends. I've wanted to go up to the shop, but it's impossible for me during the week.

Also, if you have the smog stuff on the bike still, it will all have to come off to put on a larger tank, so figure any blockoff stuff.

To those of you that have yanked the emissions stuff, did you have to do anything with the cylinder head to airbox hose, or could you just leave it in place?

I've been torn on which tank as well. I kind of want the 5.3, since I'm usually in the go big or go home camp, but maybe the 4gal is a good compromise. I really with justgastanks was open on weekends. I've wanted to go up to the shop, but it's impossible for me during the week.

My smog stuff is already off but I'm not sure about the cyl head to airbox hose ... i bought my EXC used and the guy before me did all that stuff.

The 4.1 gal is a perfect compromise. Would give me just about 200 miles.

And as much of a sissy as it's going to make me sound like, i don't like the 'natural' (yellowish) color of the Acerbis. Looks weird with the other KTM colors. I wish they would have make a pure white tank ... but i suppose this natural/yellowish color is still better than black.

color is still better than black.

I beg your pardon?

LOL - i know. I looked -- SEVERAL TIMES -- at the pics you attached to this thread and I'm still on the fence. But, I like seeing the fuel line, and I like not having a black color absorbing all our So Cal sunlight. But, man ... the yellow/natural color ... looks horrible.