dylanewilliams

Best beginner women's dual sport?

Now that I picked up a trials bike, and ride my GSA about every day I can get away from working, my girlfriend is getting antsy to get out there with me. The only issue is she has never ridden a bike before. Any suggestions on what to start her out on? She thinks my YZ250 is too tall, and both of my GSs are too heavy. I am looking for the following, ideally:

1. Short enough for her to feel comfortable
  2. Light enough for her to pick up
  3. Electric start
  4. Plated
  5. ~$2Kish

Any ideas?

Well Dylan I should have shown you my Honda XR 200 when you were here. I'd like to get $1000.00 for it but would let you have it for $800.00. Starts easy, not a ton of power but plenty to learn on and it's already scratched up so you won't fell bad when it's on the ground. No electric start but one easy kick is all it takes.

Chris

I should have read your whole post before I responded. It's not plated.

Everybody has already chimed in with the obvious choices, although they are heavy and have mediocre suspension. But at least they have a low saddle height and low center of gravity.

Husky TE250, I'm pretty sure they made a low model for a few years. Light bike, good suspension, nice power...probably a bit over your budget numbers but shopping around may find one close.

Tw200 and a Motoventures beginners class.

The training is more important than the bike.

While I agree about the training, my experience with the mighty TW leads me to suggest a narrow tired bike instead- the TW was hard for my wife to steer.

Husky TE250, I'm pretty sure they made a low model for a few years. Light bike, good suspension, nice power...probably a bit over your budget numbers but shopping around may find one close.

2012 model was the lower version.

My suggestion would be a DR200/250/350. Light, easy and friendly bikes. Main problem is they're old gettin older.

Another option is the KLR250/Super Sherpa.

KLR250s are kickstart only - ask me about bump starting, push starting, tow pull starting those bikes yuck! While they carry the same KLR name as the 650 they are not similar and I wouldn't recommend one. Just my opinion..

DR200 / XT225 / CRF230F would be good bike options. Occasionally you can find a TTR125 that got plated but they are few and far between.

Good luck in your search