blakeNY9

Left Hand Rear Brake....

For those with an Rekluse Auto Clutch (or not) and interested in a Left Hand Rear Brake (LHRB).... I tried the Rekluse LHRB that ties into the hydraulic system of the rear brake on my 300 XCW. To keep it short, I didn't have a great experience. Some have... but this is just my experience. I did everything exactly per their video's and instructions. Did all the troubleshooting tips, broke the system apart 3 times and tripled checked everything, sent bottles of fluid thru it while tapping and jiggling and everything in between. Talked to technical support 3 times. Even had a new lever/master cylinder sent out. I could never get the lever to fully firm up and provide real braking. It would provide about the equivalent of a weak engine breaking worth of slowing while the lever pulled fully thru the stroke. I finally threw in the towel as it just shouldn't be this hard. Its certainly possible that it was me or my brake system and not their product, because it does and is supposed to perform better than that (for others). But I had had enough and returned it with their 30 day guarantee. I will say Rekluse had great customer service.

During this process I discovered another product, OxBrake LHRB. It is a cable system that works off a lever that extends to the rear of your rear foot brake lever. I received it today, installed in less than an hour and was out locking up the rear brake (on pavement even) with two fingers.

Check it out if you are interested: http://www.oxbrake.com/

No affiiliation, just a very happy customer so far. Hopefully it performs just as good on the trail, I expect it will.

I was working on making a system like this a few years ago. Guess someone had the same idea as me. Glad to hear you got through your issues and found a solution.

I might have tried the OX if I had heard about it sooner, but I got the Rekluse unit working on mine alright. The biggest issue is positioning it to be usable given that the EXC has that huge switch gear there taking up a lof of space, and making it difficult to rotate things where you need them. It is certainly easier to go with the Rekluse clutch as well, and chuck the clutch lever entirely like I did on an older bike, but I don't like giving up that control either.

I'm glad the Ox worked out. It's certainly a lot cheaper than the Rekluse solution.