tntmo

KTM 250/300 2 stroke for the wife?

I consider myself a lucky guy, my wife is interested in riding and she looks forward to going out to the desert with me. That being said, she has gone through a few bikes trying to find what works for her.

One of the first bikes she rode was a 1974 Honda XL175....just because that's what I had as an extra bike and I wasn't sure she would be into it. She rode that thing all over Ocotillo but she was ready for a bit more machine. Next she had a DR350, then a DRZ400S, then another DR350 and now a WR450F. She has claimed to want a dual sport, but maybe that's because I have one. She never does any dual sport riding, unless she gets tired and takes the highway home from somewhere. She doesn't ride fast anywhere, but she keeps moving and gets almost everywhere.

This year she had shoulder surgery and is still recovering, so the weight of the bike is more noticeable to her. She rode a couple of KTM two strokes the last time we were out in the desert, a 200EXC and a 300XC-W and loved both of them. She can kick start a bike ok, but I know she likes the E-start (don't we all).

So in the spirit of trying to keep my wife happy, I am considering getting her a KTM 250 or 300 with E-start. I know she won't miss the license plate, she has a street bike for that. If we're riding together and she gets tired, she can take my bike back to camp on the highway.

So, what's the big improvements over the years of E-start? I think 2008 was the first year available? I've heard the first few years had weak starters, with an improvement made in 2012 or 2013?

Anyone interested in a plated WR450F? Or a Husky TE450? One has to go.....

great bikes, crappy e starters (so I hear). Never owned one so can't comment first hand. But LOTS of negative feedback on the 2T starters over on the orange website.

The 200s are way easy to kick start too by the way in case you just want to find an older one without estart and have her kick. My wife is 5'5" and 120lbs and can kick her 200 all day long. For dune riding, the bigger bike is a little more forgiving though as far as not getting bogged down in sand.

So, what's the big improvements over the years of E-start? I think 2008 was the first year available? I've heard the first few years had weak starters, with an improvement made in 2012 or 2013?

Anyone interested in a plated WR450F? Or a Husky TE450? One has to go.....

My 09 300 rarely starts off the button when cold........once warmed up the button works all day long.......then again it has ~200 hrs on the top end.......it's a bit tired......

My wife is about 5'8" but she just doesn't seem to have the coordination down to kick start bikes very well. On the DR350, she would always kick it over while it was on the side stand. I know KTM side stands are made of chocolate, so she would break it in a minute. She was having issues starting the 200EXC, so having an operational E-start is almost mandatory.

From what I have read, the 2013+ starter is much better and can be retro-fitted to any of the past bikes. $300

2015 Husqy TE250 should be a good pick :) Then you can ride it...

2015 Husqy TE250 should be a good pick :) Then you can ride it...

Well, not planning on spending that much $$$ otherwise that would be a good choice.

Why give up the plate? I know of a young Mo lad living in AZ...

WR or Husky on the chopping block eh? I wanna test ride those bad boys!

Why give up the plate? I know of a young Mo lad living in AZ...

WR or Husky on the chopping block eh? I wanna test ride those bad boys!

Don't you already own a 2006 WR450? :)

Bring it by....drop off one bike while you pick up the other one.

She only rode the KTM's around camp, but she could tell they were considerably lighter than the WR. She really likes the Yamaha, it has boosted her confidence and she rides to more places that she wouldn't before. She never cared to ride in any sand, and now she will even though it's not her favorite. I guess I will see if I can look at a few 300's on craigslist soon.

I've had 4 recent 300's, 09/10/11/12 so know a bit about them.

Yes estarts can be a bit weak on pre 13 and I always kick mine from cold, I also use a lithium iron battery as lighter and stronger but that being said I pulled estart from my race 12 300XC as so rarely stall it so what carry around the extra weight. But on all the others as long as batter is charged never had an issue with starting warm but the later design seems like a good idea.

Differences by year, I think only 300 had estart in 08 but 250 was estart ready, or maybe it was 300's but not 250's however suspension that year sucked. 09 was good solid bike, 10 slightly better. 11 was big change with 6 speed gearbox which was big improvement, 5 speed XCW was too gappy, 5 speed XC perfect spaced but could be too high in 1st or too low in 5th at times. 11 XC also has new frame design that XCW got in 12 when XC moved to linkage rear. XC has (better IMO) CC forks and XCW has OC, XC is more of a race bike and stiffer damping so probably XCW best.

250 v 300 then, 300's feel heavier, vibrate more, overheat and can feel more intimidating as there's so much power but for deep sand not so much of an issue however I would recommend a 250 as easier to ride and plenty of power and one day if needed easy to convert to a 300.

While I probably wouldn't recommend it I happen to have a nice 2010 300XC that I need to sell when I get the chance to put it back together.

Axel wants the WR...seriously

Lol. Not til I steal some goodies first!!

tntmo, would Mrs Mo consider a rekluse on her 250/300? Might make it a killer trail bike and could open up the year/model options to non-estart bikes?

So I took a journey to LA to pick up this 2009 KTM 300XCW for the missus.

15929508247_86b2db37b6.jpg20141226_124740 by tntmo2, on Flickr

She likes it, we'll see how she does next week riding it.

Looks like it is in great shape .Should be A awesome trail bike. Is it A green sticker?

Red sticker bike.

Rekluse clutch, skid plate, rad guards, a few other goodies. Should be good for her, nice and light.